Tottenham Hotspur 0-1 West Ham Utd (27/04/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

simon1982
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Re: ⚽ Tottenham Hotspur V West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by simon1982 »

Hammer.CA wrote:Diop made Garth Crook's team of the week this week along with Antonio. He also wrote this,

'I also thought Ryan Fredericks was impressive against his old club and that brings me to my central point. If West Ham approached every game as though they were playing Tottenham Hotspur, they would win the Premier League title. What is it with these London clubs. Why do they hate Tottenham so much?

Why do other London teams hate Spurs, where to start?
The fanbase is the problem. The vast majority Are unable to discuss football with any other fan. They take everything personally when you happen to criticise them. It’s not just London clubs who hate spurs.
WestHamByTheSea
Location: Turning the TV off, making some tea, and saying modern life well it's rubbish...

Post by WestHamByTheSea »

scottyboy71 wrote:
Rejects, perchance?
Something a bit more indie-cardigan wearing, I'm afraid... shoegaze legends Ride. Although a nice addenda is the double whammy of a) Ride's bassist Steve being a big Spurs fan and b) the Oxford Utd-supporting lead singer Mark won't call Spurs by any other name but Sperm. :scarfer:
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

simon1982 wrote:
The fanbase is the problem. The vast majority Are unable to discuss football with any other fan. They take everything personally when you happen to criticise them. It’s not just London clubs who hate spurs.
Can definitely vouch for that for my experience with any of them. They're incapable of being brutally honest about their own misgivings throughout the years and come across very defensive when you make legitimate criticism of their Club. They talk as if they're always winning trophies, when the reality is the complete opposite. That's what sets them apart from fans like ours because we can be extremely critical of what we do and we will be the first to admit it. Every now and again you can have a reasonable discussion with them, but it isn't too long before you're reminded just how utterly Spursy they truly are. Coming out with laughable arrogant nonsense that deserves ridicule. And it's happening again....
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1979 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Hammer.CA wrote: If West Ham approached every game as though they were playing Tottenham Hotspur, they would win the Premier League title.
This is another wind-up line trotted out by our friends in N17.

I don't think we even played that great on Saturday. In fact we played better against Man Utd a few weeks back. On another day, the Tottenham could have easily been a draw.

Without poor officiating, we could of picked up maximum points against Leicester, Man Utd and Liverpool. So it shows it's not always how we play.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:If West Ham approached every game as though they were playing Tottenham Hotspur, they would win the Premier League title.
This is another wind-up line trotted out by our friends in N17.
.[/quote]

I actually think there's an element of truth to it. It's always irritates me that when we fancy it against the better teams, we don't then follow it up on many occasions against poorer teams, even though we know we've often had the ability to do so. It's the consistency we often lack, not that we can't beat many teams on our day, especially when we fancy it. I'm hoping under Pellegrini that in time we can instill a more professional ruthless approach whoever we face, against the top, middle or relegation fodders at the bottom.

Sure there's variables that effect games due to injuries, poor officiating, but too often have we also been our worst enemy when not giving high levels of performance as say against the top sides.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

WestHamByTheSea wrote:
Something a bit more indie-cardigan wearing, I'm afraid... shoegaze legends Ride. Although a nice addenda is the double whammy of a) Ride's bassist Steve being a big Spurs fan and b) the Oxford Utd-supporting lead singer Mark won't call Spurs by any other name but Sperm. :scarfer:
Where were Ride playing WHBTS?
Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 254 likes

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

Although we probably do give that extra 10% against spu#s and the rest of the top 6 the main reason we look so much better against them is they simply commit more players forwards making the game more open. When the onus is on us to attack the lesser sides using 2 banks of 4 we have always struggled and tend to get countered fairly easily. Especially with a slow midfield.

So the whole "why cant we play like that every week" argument seems like a fair question but different games have different structures to them and some weeks we won't look as good or fluid as others.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

I think it helped that we had pace at the bag in all areas something we rarely have. zabaleta cresswell ogbonna are not the quickest.

just need a quicker midfield partner for rice now
wildkard
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 196 likes

Post by wildkard »

Never got the p**** thing. Don’t find it offensive in the least, just bizarre. Assume it’s just because there was that travellers site somewhere in Essex a few years back which was in the news a lot.

Also:

My spurs mate: “if you played like that every game you’d win the league”
Me: “how many times have you seen West Ham play this season other than against your lot?”
Him: “er.... none”
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Hammer.CA wrote: If West Ham approached every game as though they were playing Tottenham Hotspur, they would win the Premier League title.
Sorry to dent their ego's but it is not a 'Spurs' thing, it is no different to how we approach most games against most teams in the top six. We have given Chelsea a couple of scares this season as well as beaten Arsenal and Man Utd at home. We certainly seem to be able to live with those teams outside of the top two on our day, those two are just somewhat unplayable at times though.

It is a fair point that we do seem to be able to get ourselves motivated for the bigger games and then fail to bother against those around us. Frustrating and promising in equal measures.
wildkard
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 196 likes

Post by wildkard »

We always seem to struggle with teams who rely 90% on shithousery.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 844 likes

Post by mushy »

sutts07 wrote:
Sorry to dent their ego's but it is not a 'Spurs' thing, it is no different to how we approach most games against most teams in the top six. We have given Chelsea a couple of scares this season as well as beaten Arsenal and Man Utd at home. We certainly seem to be able to live with those teams outside of the top two on our day, those two are just somewhat unplayable at times though.

It is a fair point that we do seem to be able to get ourselves motivated for the bigger games and then fail to bother against those around us. Frustrating and promising in equal measures.
Absolutely Hammered! wrote:Although we probably do give that extra 10% against spu#s and the rest of the top 6 the main reason we look so much better against them is they simply commit more players forwards making the game more open. When the onus is on us to attack the lesser sides using 2 banks of 4 we have always struggled and tend to get countered fairly easily. Especially with a slow midfield.

So the whole "why cant we play like that every week" argument seems like a fair question but different games have different structures to them and some weeks we won't look as good or fluid as others.
Hammered nails it for me, we have struggled against teams that hold a defensive line across midfield.
The top teams dont tend to do that.
sutts07

Post by sutts07 »

mushy wrote: Hammered nails it for me, we have struggled against teams that hold a defensive line across midfield.
The top teams dont tend to do that.
Think it is only that middle pack that we have really struggled against. We seem to have broken down the teams in the lower half of the table fairly well this season. We have ended up so far down the table due to our results against the likes of Wolves, Watford, Everton, Bournmouth, Leicester.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: This is another wind-up line trotted out by our friends in N17.

I don't think we even played that great on Saturday. In fact we played better against Man Utd a few weeks back. On another day, the Tottenham could have easily been a draw.

Without poor officiating, we could of picked up maximum points against Leicester, Man Utd and Liverpool. So it shows it's not always how we play.
Completely agree. I didn't think we were that good vs Spurs - first half we were generally poor and kept giving the ball away. Arnie was barely in the game and we had gaping holes at the back on the flanks.

Second half we worked hard and closed them down, but Spurs were poor and the truth is we won that with 1 moment of quality play from Arnie and Antonio, but otherwise didn't get out of third gear.

Play like that all season and we'd finish, err, mid table.

We were far better vs Man Utd away, but were robbed by the officials there, and against Liverpool at home.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 844 likes

Post by mushy »

sutts07 wrote:
Think it is only that middle pack that we have really struggled against. We seem to have broken down the teams in the lower half of the table fairly well this season. We have ended up so far down the table due to our results against the likes of Wolves, Watford, Everton, Bournmouth, Leicester.
We lost to Burnley when they were bottom three, Cardiff as well and taken one point all season off a very poor Brighton team. Bournemouth did the double over us as well.
These are the struggles we should be winning in my opinion.
Wolves and Watford are better then us and simply run us off the park (along with having good technical players).
We beat Everton away but they have probably progressed more then us since.
sutts07

Post by sutts07 »

mushy wrote: We lost to Burnley when they were bottom three, Cardiff as well and taken one point all season off a very poor Brighton team. Bournemouth did the double over us as well.
I mentioned Bournemouth in my post, they have been in the middle pack most of the season, were looking good for 7th for the first half.

Burnley away was terrible, simple as that. We did put four past them at home though. We also put four past Huddersfield, three past Cardiff and Fulham and two past Brighton at home. So breaking the lesser teams down isn't really the issue for me.
WestHamByTheSea
Location: Turning the TV off, making some tea, and saying modern life well it's rubbish...

Post by WestHamByTheSea »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:
Where were Ride playing WHBTS?
The MOTH club in Hackney, mate - tiny little old ex-servicemen's club.
Romford_Iron
Has liked: 59 likes
Total likes: 271 likes

Post by Romford_Iron »

The reason I enjoy beating Spurs so much isn’t because we’re hardcore rivals. It’s entirely down to how their fans have spoken to me over the years. I’m 30 and during my life they’ve won f*** all. Yet they seem to have this arrogant way of discussing football with others. Completely deluded and think they’re better than they are and act like they have some divine right to be at the top of the league. If they’d won as many titles as Man Utd or Liverpool, I’d still think they were dickheads, but at least I’d understand where their arrogance comes from.
Coops
Has liked: 444 likes
Total likes: 574 likes

Post by Coops »

Romford_Iron wrote:The reason I enjoy beating Spurs so much isn’t because we’re hardcore rivals. It’s entirely down to how their fans have spoken to me over the years. I’m 30 and during my life they’ve won **** all. Yet they seem to have this arrogant way of discussing football with others. Completely deluded and think they’re better than they are and act like they have some divine right to be at the top of the league. If they’d won as many titles as Man Utd or Liverpool, I’d still think they were dickheads, but at least I’d understand where their arrogance comes from.
This is the difference between them and arse fans IMO. Arse fans can be just as annoying but at least they have a reason to be smug, but what have spurs won to be so smug about?
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

WestHamByTheSea wrote:
The MOTH club in Hackney, mate - tiny little old ex-servicemen's club.
Must have been superb seeing Ride there.
Great little venue.
Saw Cabbage there last Tuesday