Bolton Wanderers in administration

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: Rio, Gnome, chalks, -DL-, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo

Re: Notlob in administration

Postby claretandblue82 on Wed May 08, 2019 4:14 pm

Was going to ask where the name Notlob came from then realised it was Bolton backwards (in case anyone else wonders).
claretandblue82

Postby Row X on Wed May 08, 2019 4:23 pm

Monkey Mike wrote:
Did the scenery behind you become repetitive? Portrait of Phil Brown, Lifesize sculpture of Fat Sam drinking a jug of gravy, Portrait of Sammy Lee in his shiny, ill-fitting suit, Portrait of Phil Brown, Lifesize sculpture of Fat Sam drinking a jug of gravy etc.

Can't remember, it was dark, I was drunk and it was a long time ago... I'd like to think that it was exactly like that now though :lol:
Row X

Postby Claret&Blue,Thru& on Wed May 08, 2019 4:29 pm

claretandblue82 wrote:Was going to ask where the name Notlob came from then realised it was Bolton backwards (in case anyone else wonders).

Not a fan of Monty Python's then (a palindrome?)?
Claret&Blue,Thru&

Postby YorksHammer on Wed May 08, 2019 4:56 pm

Awful news, one of the founder members of league football. Bolton's a city that's suffered enough already through the recession, and having some money grabbing two bit s***head take away their football club is bloody awful.
YorksHammer

Postby OFT on Wed May 08, 2019 5:05 pm

Don't think I've ever seen us win at Bolton, been several times including 2003 .
My first ever game(at Bolton) was Bolton 1 v Crewe 0 FA Cup 1967 at Burnden Park. Francis Lee penalty IIRC.(He definitely dived :) )

I wouldn't wish them to go out of business, In fact, there's only one current league club that I'd happily see extinct(Sheff U) and even though there's some I despise amongst the rest, the victories against them are too sweet to do without.

EDIT
Just been reading up on their history and saw this:-
On 9 March 1946, the club's home was the scene of the Burnden Park disaster, which at the time was the worst tragedy in British football history. 33 Bolton Wanderers fans were crushed to death, and another 400 injured, in an FA Cup quarter-final second leg tie between Bolton and Stoke City. There was an estimated 85,000 strong crowd crammed in for the game, at least 15,000 over-capacity. The disaster led to Moelwyn Hughes's official report, which recommended more rigorous control of crowd sizes.

85,000 :shock:
Last edited by OFT on Wed May 08, 2019 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OFT

Postby Up the Junction on Wed May 08, 2019 5:09 pm

wolf359 wrote:The culture was started in that era and seemed to continue, questions about finances during that time where never really answered.

We know all about "the Ginger Harry Secombe": http://www.kumb.com/article.php?id=2991

But it's equivalent to blaming Alan Curbishley for everything that's happening at West Ham now.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Postby hammerleroy on Wed May 08, 2019 5:11 pm

Remember a win up there back in the day when Danny Williamson ran from his own half and scored a belter. What happened to him? :crest:
hammerleroy

Postby Monkey Mike on Wed May 08, 2019 5:17 pm

hammerleroy wrote:Remember a win up there back in the day when Danny Williamson ran from his own half and scored a belter. What happened to him? :crest:

Moved to Everton then disappeared without a trace. Injury related, I think.
Monkey Mike

Postby sanchoz on Tue May 14, 2019 3:02 pm

Bolton Wanderers: emergency food bank set up to help unpaid staff

An emergency food bank has been set up to help Bolton Wanderers staff who have gone unpaid for two weeks.

The club’s Community Trust has received food and essential items from charities and local businesses to help employees and their families while Bolton, who entered administration on Monday, look for a solution so wages can be released.

Bolton will start next season in League One with a 12-point deduction and owe more than £1m to HMRC, putting them in danger of dropping into the fourth tier for only the second time in their history. Players have recently been given financial assistance in the form of a small loan by the Professional Footballers’ Association but of more pressing concern is the welfare of employees on modest incomes who have had to go without pay.

“We have tried to offer whatever support we can to people and that has included trying to get some provisions in order that people can continue to live a normal life,” the club chaplain, Phil Mason, told the Bolton News. “Through the chaplaincy and the Community Trust we have been able to offer food provisions.

“When people talk about football they often associate it with big salaries and luxurious living but the reality is that many of our staff – as we all do – live within their means. And that becomes very difficult when you have not been paid for a couple of weeks. It has hit home hard.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... paid-staff
sanchoz

Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch

Postby Big George on Tue May 14, 2019 3:08 pm

Great twitter thread on who is really responsible for Bolton, Blackburn, Bury, Charlton from the chairman of Accrington Stanley https://twitter.com/AndyhHolt/status/11 ... 05091?s=20
Big George

Postby DaveWHU1964 on Tue May 14, 2019 3:39 pm

YorksHammer wrote:Awful news, one of the founder members of league football. Bolton's a city that's suffered enough already through the recession, and having some money grabbing two bit s***head take away their football club is bloody awful.

Well said Yorks. :thup:
DaveWHU1964

Postby brothernero on Tue May 14, 2019 6:53 pm

Little stat regarding West Ham & Bolton Wanders.

West Ham wins v Liverpool away = 4
West Ham wins v Bolton W away = 3

:(
brothernero

Postby westham,eggyandchips on Tue May 14, 2019 7:05 pm

Up the Junction wrote:It's 12 years since Allardyce left Bolton...

Sometimes it can take a while for **** to filter through.
westham,eggyandchips

Postby kitthehammer on Wed May 15, 2019 11:29 am

I never had a problem with bolton or sam and i would never want to see any local area lose their club - i used to enjoy them tonk Arsenal too. The likes of Shef Utd who will willingly take £30 million from opposition fans - that's a different matter, but still i wouldn't want to see them disappear.
kitthehammer

Postby WHJ on Wed May 15, 2019 1:56 pm

I hope they survive. We've had some bad administration over the years and it could easily have been us.

There are far worse teams around that Id like to see suffer but I wouldn't want any of them to go out of business.
WHJ

Location: BMU - Soaking up the Boleyn atmosphere before we lose it forever>

Postby sanchoz on Wed May 15, 2019 3:18 pm

Preston North End believed to have helped out unpaid staff at Bolton Wanderers by donating £2,000 worth of shopping vouchers

Preston North End are understood to be the club which has donated £2,000 worth of shopping vouchers to help out staff at Bolton Wanderers who have gone unpaid recently.
The Bolton News reported on Tuesday morning that a food bank had been set up to provide essential needs for Wanderers staff and the Bolton Whites Hotel which is situated at their stadium.

It also revealed that a Championship club had sent the £2,000 worth of shopping vouchers to distribute to staff.

North End were later mentioned on social media as being that club.

The Deepdale outfit have not looked to gain publicity from doing so and when asked for their views on the matter, stopped short at confirming it - instead focusing on the need for Bolton staff to be given assistance.

A PNE spokesman said: "It is more important at times like these that both their local community and the wider football community try to assist in any way possible.

"It is not something that is ever done in an attempt to gain positive publicity and therefore all we would do in making a comment is to send our very best wishes to all the staff at Bolton Wanderers FC and hope that others similarly find it within themselves to support the staff in their hour of need."

Bolton went into administration on Monday and will start next season in League One with a 12-point deduction.

https://www.lep.co.uk/sport/football/pr ... -1-9768134
sanchoz

Postby fmgod on Thu May 16, 2019 9:24 am

This is really not right, surely the EFL, PFA etc should at least cover some of these wages for a bit or make a gesture.
fmgod

Postby sanchoz on Thu May 16, 2019 9:59 am

fmgod wrote:This is really not right, surely the EFL, PFA etc should at least cover some of these wages for a bit or make a gesture.

PFA did provide a loan in December last year. Bolton first team players since from time to time have covered the cost of travel for youth team players and members of staff. Its a situation that will keep going on until the EFL (who say they only organise a competition, begs the question why they then get involved in all other matters) pull their collective fingers out and legislate seriously in relation to governance of the clubs that make up their 72 membership.
sanchoz

Postby Cuenca 'ammer on Sat May 25, 2019 9:38 pm

good article here:

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foo ... 26126.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

“If I take this club into the Championship, say, we’re competing with clubs who have come bottom of the Premier League and get about £175m. The reality is even the gaps in League One and League Two have started to cause people to overstretch themselves. I have never ever known so many clubs not paying wages on time. So you can see the symptoms coming straight down.

“It’s the upward drag that causes the gaps in the pyramid, and those gaps are tank traps.

“That has to be stopped in some way.”

Therein lies the difficulty.

Because that gap doesn’t just extend to wealth. It extends to the primary source of that wealth: interest. The top end is not just dragging up the football pyramid, it is dragging away so many fans.

“The gap is only going one way in the future, as far as I can see,” football finance expert Kieran Maguire argues, “given that sponsors and TV viewers only want to see a few clubs.”

or correctly imvho is that the sponsors and tv viewers are fed a diet of that - Catch-22
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado

Postby sanchoz on Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:16 pm

Bolton Wanderers left with only six senior players despite takeover breakthrough

The administrators of Bolton Wanderers have found a preferred buyer for the club, on the day it was announced that their first-team squad has been reduced to just six senior players.

The beleaguered League One outfit entered administration in May after a takeover bid by former Watford chairman Laurence Bassini collapsed.

Administrators announced on Thursday that they have received an acceptable offer for the club, though the identity of the potential buyer is yet to be revealed.

Earlier that same day, the club released its retained list for the 2019-20 campaign, following relegation from the Championship last season.

Only eight members of last year’s first-team squad remain on the books, including two goalkeepers in Ben Alnwick and Remi Matthews.

Jason Lowe, Josh Magennis, Erhun Otzumer and Luke Murphy are the only senior outfield players to remain at the club.

Two others – youngsters Luca Connell and Ronan Darcy – only broke into the first team last season, while Connor Hall spent the year on loan at Accrington Stanley.

Last month, one of Bolton’s final games of the Championship season was cancelled after players went on strike over unpaid wages.

Supporters will hope that Thursday’s breakthrough in finding a suitable buyer for the club will leave enough time to prepare for the new season.

Paul Appleton of David Rubin and Partners, Bolton’s administrators, said in a statement: “I am delighted we have been able to reach a more than satisfactory outcome to this stage of the process and I am confident the preferred bidder has the ability to take Bolton Wanderers forward.

“We are now working towards a signed heads of terms agreement by close of play on June 14 and until that has been signed, we are still bound by the confidentiality agreement within the process.

“But I can assure all Bolton Wanderers fans that the preferred bidder has both the financial ability and the determination to turn around the fortunes of this great football club.”

Bolton will start the 2019-20 League One season with a 12-point deduction as a result of going into administration.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foo ... 57026.html
sanchoz

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion