Week's other Games 11th-17th May

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: Rio, Gnome, chalks, -DL-, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo

Re: Week's other Games 11th-17th May

Postby Chicken Run Supreme on Thu May 16, 2019 9:19 am

It's a funny old game football, the teams that finished 3rd and 4th are knocked out by those that finished beneath them in 5th and 6th. Derby's position reminds of Palace in 2004 when like Derby this season, they secured 6th spot on the final game of the season and we all know how that ended up. The play offs are what the play offs are and everyone knows how it works but it does seem harsh on Leeds who for much of the season were nip and tuck with Norwich but unravelled somewhat at the business end of the season. Will Bielsa stay? I hope so and I would love to see them back in the top flight. They need to make it via automatic promotion though, 5 times they've made play off stages and have yet to emerge triumphant.

As for the play off final itself, I've no love for Villa not since Mannygate, but I really hope they batter Derby.
Chicken Run Supreme

Postby Puff Daddy on Thu May 16, 2019 9:32 am

Chicken Run Supreme wrote:It's a funny old game football, the teams that finished 3rd and 4th are knocked out by those that finished beneath them in 5th and 6th. Derby's position reminds of Palace in 2004 when like Derby this season, they secured 6th spot on the final game of the season and we all know how that ended up. The play offs are what the play offs are and everyone knows how it works but it does seem harsh on Leeds who for much of the season were nip and tuck with Norwich but unravelled somewhat at the business end of the season. Will Bielsa stay? I hope so and I would love to see them back in the top flight. They need to make it via automatic promotion though, 5 times they've made play off stages and have yet to emerge triumphant.

As for the play off final itself, I've no love for Villa not since Mannygate, but I really hope they batter Derby.

Leeds bombed when they lost to Wigan at home, who having been reduced to 10 men when 1-0 up, they then missed a penalty and ultimately lost the game 2-1, the following week, they lost 2-0 at mid table Brentford. The loss of those 6 points were immensely damaging for them and are what cost them promotion. They also lost at home to Sheffield United
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Postby Corney Beal on Thu May 16, 2019 9:34 am

Every recent year all I hear from Leeds fans is ' this is our year'. This season they promoted themselves in September. ' Definitely going up'.
Bielsa favoured a smaller squad and it backfired with injuries and suspensions. They also ran out of legs at various points due to the strenuous training regime and pressing tactics. They blew automatic promotion when in their hands and messed up and outmanoeuvred by Lampard, whom they gave a ridiculous amount of stick to. Derby worthy winners.
Last edited by Corney Beal on Thu May 16, 2019 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corney Beal

Postby Clacton-ammer on Thu May 16, 2019 10:43 am

I keep hearing Leeds ran out of legs, for sure they blew up, no argument there. But Leeds ran & ran last night, they looked an incredibly fit team. I know they suffered with injuries, which as we know never helps.

Not sure I buy into ran out of legs, saying that, have not seen much of them, just what I saw last night. Maybe they just mentally burnt out and couldn't handle the pressure at the business end.

Bit gutted, as Leeds in the PL would have been good for it.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Postby fmgod on Thu May 16, 2019 10:56 am

Clacton-ammer wrote:I keep hearing Leeds ran out of legs, for sure they blew up, no argument there. But Leeds ran & ran last night, they looked an incredibly fit team. I know they suffered with injuries, which as we know never helps.

Not sure I buy into ran out of legs, saying that, have not seen much of them, just what I saw last night. Maybe they just mentally burnt out and couldn't handle the pressure at the business end.

They've won one in the last seven, it's typical of a Biesla team that is worked so hard over the season to tail off massively towards the end and they've done that again.
fmgod

Postby Clacton-ammer on Thu May 16, 2019 11:03 am

Will bow to your knowledge FM, my knowledge on Biesla/Leeds is limited to say the least, they just looked an incredibly fit team last night. They let Derby back in with a comical goal, that points to mental more than fitness for me :thup:
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Postby Patito on Thu May 16, 2019 11:33 am

Clacton-ammer wrote:I keep hearing Leeds ran out of legs, for sure they blew up, no argument there. But Leeds ran & ran last night, they looked an incredibly fit team. I know they suffered with injuries, which as we know never helps.

You are quite right Clacton. They 100% did not run out of legs at the end of the season. They were averaging 20+ shots week in week out, dominating possession and creating chances. Lack of quality up front, no real squad depth and mental fragility is what killed them. I live in Leeds, have been to a few of their games this season and am often forced to watch them in the clubhouse on telly post-football when I play on a weekend. :D
Patito

Postby fmgod on Thu May 16, 2019 11:38 am

It's a proven pattern

Bilbao 12-13 won 2 of the last 9
Bilbao 11 12 no win in the last 4
Marseille finished okay but that's as the team was so strong and one of the best in the league
Leeds been awful towards the end

Biesla kills his players as he uses small squads and works them so hard

Ander Herrera: "It is quite a romantic view about football, but I can’t lie to you, in the last months we couldn’t even move. We had five games to play in the league and were in two cup finals and I think we lost all of them (they lost three of their last four games in La Liga and both cup finals 3-0).

Our legs said 'stop'. We used to play always with the same players and were not at our best in the finals. We were a completely different team than we had been before because, to be honest, we were physically ****ed.

And if you see the stats, Marcelo Bielsa used to play with the same players, 14 maximum (15 players made more than 20 league appearances), so you can imagine how we finished the season.

I am not blaming the manager, because he did amazing for us and we should be very thankful because of the beautiful football, but the last month we couldn’t even move and that is the reality.

If you talk with any of the players at that time - Fernando Llorente, Fernando Amorebieta, Javi Martinez, Iker Muniain, Oscar de Marcos - they will tell you the same. I don’t know if they would tell you in public, but in private they will.
fmgod

Postby Patito on Thu May 16, 2019 11:42 am

If you dig deeper than just won/lost it was pretty clear to see that they were far from burnt out.

Last night was another clear example. They lost because of some horrific errors from Casilla, Cooper and Ayling. The players out there covered every blade of grass and ran their hearts out, they scored 2 and could have had more. They quite clearly were not burnt out. Even after 46 league games, 2 play off games and a few cup games.

As I mentioned above - lack of quality, no squad depth to change things and mental fragility (on show last night!) - that's why they bottled promotion.

Edit - I agree with you about Bilbao, but that was at Bilbao. Go and ask Kalvin Philips and co if they were burnt out, because they weren't playing like it last night.
Patito

Postby Corney Beal on Thu May 16, 2019 2:02 pm

They definitely looked leggy in several games since the turn of the year. The central defenders often look ponderous but they be because they are cloggers like Cooper.
Valid point about the mental tiredness. I have read several articles where the players have said Bielsa sends them all sorts of info and texts on the opposition. That and the double training sessions and style of play clearly adds to the tiredness in certain games probably, recovery times dependent too.
Corney Beal

Postby Cuenca 'ammer on Thu May 16, 2019 2:57 pm

mentioned before one of my best mates in 'ouston is a HUGE Leeds, fan brother is a s-t holder and has some connections with the club

small squad for sure (amazing last year I thought Saiz was their best player but he's out on loan in Spain) and he said they lack the overall quality of the other front runners

maybe they don't have the depth once they hit the bench.

they have imploded in a few games as mentioned above. but last night I thought they did enough to win, (as did Derby) but that stupid g-k error give Derby some belief. then defensive line and that, players all over the place, they should have scored when the right back had that chance in the box and that could have changed things.

cracking game though for the neutral. can't see Derby doing that much if they come up, they have a lot of needs and when their loan players go back they might be in trouble. those loans are in key areas which will be hard to replace.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado

Postby Crossd_Hammrs on Thu May 16, 2019 3:05 pm

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: last night I thought they did enough to win, (as did Derby) but that stupid g-k error give Derby some belief. then defensive line and that, players all over the place, they should have scored when the right back had that chance in the box and that could have changed things.

It seemed to be ignored on Sky but Leeds' second goal should have been disallowed for offside.

Interesting that Bamford got booked for diving - in the Premier League he'd have got a penalty for that.
Crossd_Hammrs

Postby Cuenca 'ammer on Thu May 16, 2019 3:10 pm

I mentioned in the Villa thread..

big time playoff games with the chance to make the money league, but no VAR.

why not ?

not as if the clubs in question don't have the facilities ? or maybe the League 1 clubs don't so they won't use it across the board.

if that IS the argument (and it's a wild guess on my part) then there isn't justification for only using it in the PL next season.

if it cannot be used across all spectrum then don't use it at all.

(personal opinion of course and that hasn't stop the other major leagues using it even though the lower ones can't)
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado

Postby vietnammer on Thu May 16, 2019 8:01 pm

Come on Sunderland I reckon, didn't like to see them sink to L1.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

Postby S-H on Thu May 16, 2019 8:03 pm

Sunderland still I die will be interesting if they don't go up...
S-H

Postby Pob! on Thu May 16, 2019 8:05 pm

Play up Pompey....
Pob!

Postby wasserburg_hammer on Thu May 16, 2019 8:18 pm

Their play acting is certainly PL quality ...
wasserburg_hammer

Postby FreeWheeling on Thu May 16, 2019 9:24 pm

gene pool in Pompy looks rather shallow in certain parts of the crowd
FreeWheeling

Postby S-H on Thu May 16, 2019 9:26 pm

FreeWheeling wrote:gene pool in Pompy looks rather shallow in certain parts of the crowd

Not many teeth on show, is there.
S-H

Postby FreeWheeling on Thu May 16, 2019 9:36 pm

seen more on a bald mans comb
FreeWheeling

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion