End of an Era

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: Rio, Gnome, chalks, -DL-, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo

End of an Era

Postby brothernero on Sun May 12, 2019 5:01 pm

That Ladies & Gentlemen, Boys and Girls was the last ever round of Premier League fixtures without the use of VAR.

Next season regardless of if you are for it or hate the idea, things are going to become very interesting indeed when it comes to referring and decisions.
brothernero

Re: End of an Era

Postby Paolopaul on Sun May 12, 2019 5:04 pm

Mark Noble scores the last West Ham goal that can be immediately celebrated without a ‘check’.
Paolopaul

Postby S-H on Sun May 12, 2019 5:06 pm

I for one, can't wait to see Carragher and Neville over analysing every decision on a Monday night next season..
S-H

Postby BondsoBob on Sun May 12, 2019 5:07 pm

I really think it's going to be to the detriment of the game.
BondsoBob

Postby Captain Slaphead on Sun May 12, 2019 5:15 pm

As penalties will be routinely reviewed, I think it will lead to an exponential increase in diving / exaggerating contact in free-kick shooting range
Captain Slaphead

Postby Colours never run on Sun May 12, 2019 5:27 pm

BondsoBob wrote:I really think it's going to be to the detriment of the game.

Me too.
Colours never run

Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Postby DasNutNock on Sun May 12, 2019 5:35 pm

BondsoBob wrote:I really think it's going to be to the detriment of the game.

Of course it's going to make things worse. Just means that more goals against the Sky clubs will be ruled out.
DasNutNock

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Sun May 12, 2019 5:38 pm

I wonder how much Extra Time there'll be because of VAR ?
The Old Man of Storr

Postby neathiron on Sun May 12, 2019 5:50 pm

brothernero wrote:That Ladies & Gentlemen, Boys and Girls was the last ever round of Premier League fixtures without the use of VAR.

Next season regardless of if you are for it or hate the idea, things are going to become very interesting indeed when it comes to referring and decisions.

Liverpool are ****ed then. If they couldn't win the league this year, they'll never do it now :wink:
neathiron

Postby Junco Partner on Sun May 12, 2019 5:54 pm

I hate VAR. Totally alienating experience suffering a game where its deployed.
Junco Partner

Location: Rude and reckless, crude and feckless, been drinking brew for breakfast

Postby Hugh Jargon II on Sun May 12, 2019 5:57 pm

Wont last in its existing form. Football is too much about opinion. You could see a stone wall pen.....and 20% might disagree. What happens when a club is relegated and the VAR is proved to be wrong??
Hugh Jargon II

Postby Derby Hammer on Sun May 12, 2019 6:33 pm

Not sure exactly what happened, but as I turned over to the Sociedad v Madrid game they were in the middle of a VAR review. Took them 5 mins to decide to disallow a goal. It’s far too long and it needs a fair amount of fine tuning.

There needs to be something for the crowd too. In other sports they make a big deal out of the reviews and bring the crowd in to it. In a lot of sports the crowd gets to see the footage of what they’re reviewing. Adds to the interest. In rugby, when watching on TV, you get to hear the discussion between the referee and the video ref.
Derby Hammer

Postby Pop Robson on Sun May 12, 2019 6:39 pm

Not looking forward to it, we score and no point celebrating until VAR confirms if someone's toe of was offside
Pop Robson

Postby Junco Partner on Sun May 12, 2019 6:43 pm

Thats it POP, thats it exactly.

Totally kills that explosion of spontaneous joy that makes attending a game in the flesh special. Kills it dead.
Junco Partner

Location: Rude and reckless, crude and feckless, been drinking brew for breakfast

Postby Gsbgsb on Sun May 12, 2019 6:51 pm

People complain about VAR but others complain about he points lost to Leicester, Man Utd, Liverpool etc. Really you cannot have both, VAR will reduce but not eliminate human error.

For me in its initial season I would prefer it to be even more limited - offside and mistaken identity - clear questions of fact - with the more “opinion” related penalty and red card to follow however generally like goal line technology (which likely decided the title race) it is here to stay.
Gsbgsb

Postby MadMart on Sun May 12, 2019 6:56 pm

This season we have been on the wrong end of poor decisions which VAR will hopefully put right - reckon we've lost a fair few points through poor/wrong decisions - should put an end to all those "penalties" awarded to the bigger teams, cough cough Man U and 'Pool - fairness and justice for all :scarfer:
MadMart

Postby Pentonville on Sun May 12, 2019 7:06 pm

Football isn't some sort of scientific experiment where every piece of action needs to be measured and recorded. VAR will kill the game, make it like an American sport, stop-start. Decisions, whether they go our way or your way make up the banter of football, a key element of its culture - VAR sanitises the game. I don't mind losing a game because of a dodgy decision, because next time around we get the dodgy decision. I saw VAR in live action in a game in the Italian league last year, a 6 minute pause, literally stopped the game in its tracks. The club owners will like it of course, more opportunity to get out of your seat and buy beer, popcorn etc - like an Ad break on the TV.
Pentonville

Postby the pink palermo on Sun May 12, 2019 7:09 pm

Will be the death of the game as a live spectator sport.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Postby S-H on Sun May 12, 2019 7:12 pm

I'd be very surprised if it works out, and the decisions that come from having it, are fair across the board.

It won't work out and the decisions will still go in favour of the top teams, it will destroy the flow of the game.
S-H

Postby Het-Field on Sun May 12, 2019 7:16 pm

VAR is totally necessary, and implemented correctly, it will eliminate, and de-incentivise diving, foul play, and cynical fouling which referees see, and let go.

I have always struggled to accept the beliefs that VAR will slow the game down in such a way that it will be detrimental to the spectator aspect. I certainly have never believed that discussion "down the pub" or armchair/barstool analysis should factor into the decision to implement VAR, nor do I accept the "everyman" game argument, which makes the exceptionally dubious claim that what is played in Sunday League is exactly the same as what is played in the PL.

Football needs to move with the times, and resistance to VAR always struck me as having something of the luddite about it. Also, as there is undoubtedly a personal impact of this, namely goals awarded or disallowed incorrectly can impact players whose contracts may be contingent on single moments which could influence a cup win, or a league position, or indeed a relegation. To me, it is a welcome introduction.

And for those who fear the slowness, please consult rugby/american football etc where clear goals are clear goals. It will simply be the dubious moments that will be reviewed.

Welcome to the future.
Het-Field

Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub

Next

Return to General Discussion