End of an Era

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: Rio, Gnome, chalks, -DL-, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo

Re: End of an Era

Postby The Collector on Sun May 12, 2019 7:19 pm

brothernero wrote:Liverpool are ****ed then. If they couldn't win the league this year, they'll never do it now :wink:

It will probably have an effect on every home team with the VAR effect. However, the perception of every club outside the top four, is that they benefit more than others from “homer” decisions by refs and linos. We’ll see.
The Collector

Postby Beavis Danzig on Sun May 12, 2019 8:01 pm

i know we've just finished this one, but things are brilliantly poised for next season.

conspiracy or not, refs have always been under massive pressure to not get decisions wrong against the big sides. if it's a 50/50 decision or even 60/40 and one side opens you up for an absolutely hounding from all and sundry, while the other gets put down to the team being "unlucky" then you're going to go with the path of least resistance.

VAR is going to be weird and will turn every other game into a bizarre turf based courtroom drama, but it will level out the effect of the above. especially when it comes to holding a high line or making darting runs behind their last man, things that pellegrini builds his whole system around.

after last season, the gap between the big clubs and the rest seemed depressingly insurmountable. as things stand this season though, there is a whole raft of teams who look like they can pull one over almost any of the big clubs in current form, who aside from city and the red scouse, all look vulnerable. even the likes of palace and newcastle have gotten their act together. maybe things will reset but i can see it being a bit of a mad season of flux next time out.
Beavis Danzig

Postby jastons on Sun May 12, 2019 8:11 pm

The Old Man of Storr wrote:I wonder how much Extra Time there'll be because of VAR ?

They *should* simply add on whatever time is spent reviewing VAR referrals. However it is very rare that I watch a game and think the officials have added on the correct amount of time...

Originally I was against VAR but now I can't wait for the correct decisions to be made. Liverpools goal v us at home, for example, should never have stood.
jastons

Postby lukechadwick on Sun May 12, 2019 8:25 pm

I think the best use of Var will be to have a referee or panel of refs reviewing it. If there is a decision that is not 100% incorrect then they go with the on pitch refs desicion and play continues.
Basically any decisions that are open to interpretation will not get the ref to look at.
If a pen is given and was definitely a dive then overule.
lukechadwick

Postby OllyWHU6 on Sun May 12, 2019 8:38 pm

I personally cannot wait for VAR to come in. I'm sick of being on the wrong end of bad decisions and being told it will all even out in the end. We've been net negative for these kind of errors, and it arguably cost us a champions league place a few seasons ago.

It's nowhere near perfect yet, but we are looking the mobile phone of the 1980s version right now vs the VAR that will be around in three or four seasons time. You only have to look into the way this kind of technology works in Tennis, Rugby, and Cricket already to see the value it can add.

I complain about the level of refereeing in this league with some gusto, so i think it is only right that when they are being offered greater support i agree with that as well. I'm sure there will still be some bias towards the sky boys in interpretation, but it's got to reduce it a little bit. It might also have the added benefit of bringing about some rule changes, allowing more contact in the box so people aren't always throwing themselves to the floor because nobody wants 6 penalties a game.
OllyWHU6

Postby AlfieG on Sun May 12, 2019 10:15 pm

How can it be an improvement on what we have now?

It does not clear things up and quite often takes minutes of deliberation and still gets things wrong.

https://www.bavarianfootballworks.com/2019/5/12/18616222/bayern-munich-uli-hoeness-var-decision-rb-leipzig-joke-year-robert-lewandowski-leon-goretzka

For me, Its just another example of how footballs pay master (TV) is intruding into the game yet again. :thdn:

Let the officials on the pitch decide as they do now. Over time, 'luck' evens itself out..
AlfieG

Postby sarge on Sun May 12, 2019 10:22 pm

Personally i am going to enjoy half of Harry Kane's Goals being ruled out for offside, and the other quarter for diving :lol:
sarge

Postby e17 on Sun May 12, 2019 10:24 pm

Hate it with a passion

A step further away from kids playing the game on Hackney Marshes

Slows everything down and yet to see any game it’s actually improved

I don’t need to read an essay on why it’s good for the game, I just know it’s not good to watch
e17

Postby Danny's Dyer Acting on Sun May 12, 2019 10:52 pm

AlfieG wrote:Let the officials on the pitch decide as they do now. Over time, 'luck' evens itself out..

Bull :thdn:

UTJ's thread about the last days at the Boleyn got me thinking back on that season. We had a run of 4 games where we dropped points through awful refereeing decisions. That was the difference between a decent season and CL qualification.

Still waiting on those ones to even themselves out.
Danny's Dyer Acting

Postby Cuenca 'ammer on Sun May 12, 2019 11:02 pm

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foo ... 10181.html

VAR won't end controversy says referees chief Mike Riley
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado

Postby Het-Field on Sun May 12, 2019 11:06 pm

MOTD just showed a moment in the Man City v Liverpool game at City, where the width of an iron filing made the difference in a major decision which could have had a major bearing in the title. Yes, the officials made the right call, without the need of VAR, but VAR guarantees the correct decision would be made, and the title race would not be decided by a non goal.
Het-Field

Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub

Postby Alan Pardew's Dad on Sun May 12, 2019 11:07 pm

Look forward to it coming in.

Goal line technology has been great and VAR will be eventually too.

Hopefully this puts the brakes on the stupid diving and cheating that drives me mad.
Alan Pardew's Dad

Postby Samba on Sun May 12, 2019 11:44 pm

Derby Hammer wrote:There needs to be something for the crowd too.

Immediate switch to babestation on the big screens. Or our 'custodian's', large movie collection.
Crowd won't mind waiting then.
Well, not all, obviously..
Samba

Postby Paolopaul on Sun May 12, 2019 11:50 pm

Fittingly, Liverpool’s final goal before VAR begins should have been given offside.
Paolopaul

Postby The Old Mile End on Mon May 13, 2019 5:49 am

The thing that keeps football different from other sports is about to go.

You can already see the delays to the game in the Italian league. Expect more of the same - and players/teams using it to their advantage.

It has come about because people cannot accept the referrees decision is final. Think about that. These are the same people who will determine how VAR operates.

If you think it will make a level paying field - think again.

As a live spectator sport - we are the generation that has witnessed the game when it was still the game of the people.

The wedge is getting thicker.
The Old Mile End

Postby Tenbury on Mon May 13, 2019 6:21 am

It may be an odd thing to say in this day and age....but I'm not sure.Swings and Roundabouts .....innit?

I do think that once it's introduced it's going to be nigh on impossible to change back.
Tenbury

Postby rtwhufc83 on Mon May 13, 2019 6:27 am

Another nail in the coffin
rtwhufc83

Postby westham,eggyandchips on Mon May 13, 2019 7:02 am

I'm against it.

But purely based on what I've seen this season, it might benefit us.
westham,eggyandchips

Postby IronworksDave on Mon May 13, 2019 7:09 am

Some serious fear of change being displayed here ... this year's CL was of course covered by VAR ... it has been declared by far the most exciting CL in history, did VAR 'end the game as we know it' far from it, there were in fact vastly fewer dives and dodgy penalties, the Kings of Europe RM and Barca were rudely booted out before the final stage ... now I'm not saying that RM and Barca suffered because they could no longer cheat, oh wait yes that's exactly what I am saying ... VAR works ..

In the EPL there can be no doubt VAR will 'level the field' so for pretty much every team bar the serial beneficiaries of dodgy decisions Liverpool, Utd, Arsenal, surely that has to be a good thing ...
IronworksDave

Postby CurlyHammer on Mon May 13, 2019 7:13 am

I always be against for many reasons.

But one of main reasons is because of this ‘goal’ we scored against Blackburn, which iirc was vital in great escape season.

https://youtu.be/oLjOoIvW68c
CurlyHammer

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion