Chris Hughton sacked

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Chris Hughton sacked

Postby goa127 on Mon May 13, 2019 12:42 pm

that's exactly what I'm saying Tomos, most of the teams have one or two players you might fancy, Brighton, Huddersfield and Cardiff don't.
goa127

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Mon May 13, 2019 12:48 pm

As for Chris Hughton , he's been performing minor miracles at Brighton since they came up but people are demanding aren't they , they pay their money and think they deserve better -
They've a nice new ground , capacity over 30,000 - compare them to Swansea City , capacity 21,088 - now compare style of play -
Swansea City have always tried to play football as it was meant to be played - ok , they got relegated eventually but they went to such places as Anfield with no fear and won - Pulis , Allardyce , Mourinho , Dyche and Hughton are all what you would call ' Pragmatists ' but sometimes you have to cut your cloth - however , supporters will put up with an ' effective but dull ' type of football for so long then they get restless - the writing was on the wall for months , I've been reading that Hughton was for the chop for weeks now , at least they had the decency to wait until season's end .
The Old Man of Storr

Postby Briggsy on Mon May 13, 2019 1:17 pm

It's easy as an outsider to sit and say this is a bad decision, but if you talk to most Brighton fans, the football was hard to watch. It doesn't matter if you support Barcelona, Brighton, Manchester City or Dagenham. Football for football fans is about being entertained (at least in my opinion)

Yes he done a very good job, but on paper and terms of results, so did Big Sam for us.

Season 1: Promotion
Season 2: Top half
Season 3: Stayed up (very tough to do in your 2nd season in the Prem)
Season 4: Europe

Should Sam have been sacked? Results wise no. But entertainment, relationship with the fans? it's not even up for debate imho.
Briggsy

Postby Big George on Mon May 13, 2019 1:19 pm

Graham Potter from Swansea 8-1 on. Clearly been a done deal for some time
Big George

Postby mushy on Mon May 13, 2019 1:24 pm

Big George wrote:Graham Potter from Swansea 8-1 on. Clearly been a done deal for some time

In football betting parlance that simp!y means someones had fifty quid on Potter.
Having said that, the sports radio stations are tipping Potter as well.
mushy

Postby prophet:marginal on Mon May 13, 2019 1:25 pm

This is modern football, so it is hardly surprising, to be honest.

Some of the crowd down there had become mutinous and all the chairman needs to hear is the moaning, before the trigger fingers start to itch.

In reality, that team has probably run its course, Hughton have remained loyal to several who were involved in promotion. They aren't, however, much better, generally, than lower bottom half.

It now falls on the chairman to improve matters with a new face.

Down you go, Brighton.
prophet:marginal

Postby Turns to Stone on Mon May 13, 2019 1:33 pm

He got 40 points in his first season in the Prem, and 36 this year. According to transfermarket he spent £77m this year.

It's difficult, but if you give a manager £77m and their points tally goes down, and the football doesn't improve, then it's difficult. I'm all for sticking with a manager, but spending £77m and still relying on Glenn Murray up front can't be the result of decent management can it?
Turns to Stone

Postby Patito on Mon May 13, 2019 1:41 pm

Alireza Jahanbakhsh - £17mil
Yves Bissouma - £15mil
Bernardo - £9mil
Alexis MacAllister - £7mil (immediately loaned back out)
Martin Montoya - £6mil
Florin Andone - £5.5mil
David Button - £4mil
Dan Burn - £3mil
Percy Tau - £2.75mil
Jan Mlakar - £2.5mil (immediately loaned back out)
Tudor Baluta - £2.5mil (immediately loaned back out)
Peter Gwargis - £1.35mil
Billy Arce - £750k
Leon Balogun - free
Jason Steele - free

On the face of it, some of them are ok players, Bissouma and Bernardo look alright, Montoya and Andone useful enough for a mid-table side. Most of that lot bought with the future in mind I think.

How much of an impact have that lot had on their season? Not £70mil+ worth that's for sure.
Patito

Postby Kev59 on Mon May 13, 2019 3:11 pm

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Anthony Knockaert scores the odd worldy , not sure what else he contributes to the team though .

Knockaert is a wrong 'un in the dressing room apparently. At the end of season awards he made a big show of not getting up to clap Hughton. One of the other players literally dragged him up (Murray I believe)
Kev59

Postby TheHandOfDog on Mon May 13, 2019 3:46 pm

He is just another Big Sam, his side scored 3 goals in the last 10 games, in those 10 games they lost 1-0 against the saints, 2-0 against Cardiff, 5-0 against Bournemouth. Yes they had a hard run in towards the end and they only ended up 2 points above the drop.
He did very well getting them up and staying in the league last year but the truth is, they spent money and regressed whilst playing dogshit football to watch. A fair sacking IMO.
TheHandOfDog

Postby Samba on Tue May 14, 2019 5:25 am

Not entirely a surprise.
A local lad to us & apparently a nice dude, Brighton were SO close to going down. Their form crashed off of a cliff this season.
If Cardiff had beaten already relegated Fulham away, or (a resurgent) Palace at home, they would have sent Brighton down & we would have had the pleasure of Colin again, next season.
Small margins & all that..
Samba

Postby hammerman11 on Tue May 14, 2019 6:41 am

dull boring team wont be missed when they go down next season. Hopefully we can get 2 wins against them next season as we certainly owe them a few thumpings.

dunk and duffy are often talked about but the team is set up defensively and they don't get tested as much as they would in a more open team.
don't want any of their players to be honest.
even Cardiff have etheridge who I would fancy for us.
Huddersfield billing
Fulham mitrovic

shows how good a job hughton did for them. be careful what you wish for brighton as relegation is coming !
hammerman11

Postby westham,eggyandchips on Tue May 14, 2019 7:23 am

hammers92 wrote:Fair decision imo. 3 wins from past 23 matches and seems to approach games with the same tactics each time.

Horrible team to watch. Our Achilles heel too. Hopefully the new manager will enable the to play a more expansive style that'll help us get 6 points off them next term.
westham,eggyandchips

Postby Samba on Tue May 14, 2019 7:53 am

For those who have ever said that he'd be worth a go with us, I'm not so sure.
He took Norwich up & they were on their way back down when he parted company with them.
He took Brighton up & almost back down again.
However, he appears to be an excellent Championship manager & a good coach of players.
Perhaps first team coach rather than manager is more to his strengths?
I can't believe that he's 60!
Samba

Postby traxop on Tue May 14, 2019 8:04 am

-DL- wrote:Feel for Houghton to be honest, they're punching above their weight.

Were they really punching above their weight? They had net spend of around 60M for the season compared to Huddersfield at 30M, which placed them 10th in that table, above the likes of Burnley, Southampton, Newcastle, Watford, Bournemouth.

They've spend a total of around 100M so far over the last couple of seasons. Clearly the the club has made investment, it wasn't like Hughton was scrapping the bottom of the barrel like a Cardiff.

If the argument is that these signings weren't Hughton's signings - then you still fundamentally have an issue of compatibility. This is the way the club is looking to operate. If he's not compatible with it, cannot accommodate to it, then it's still going to end up either with the sacking of Hughton or Hughton choosing to walk.

It feels like they should have done a lot better with the level of investment relative to the other teams around them.
traxop

Postby ornchurch ammer on Tue May 14, 2019 8:39 am

Managers get sacked.
Not many get to last 4 seasons at a club anymore.
Bid deal about nothing because of his colour and lack of other black managers in the game.

I'd look at increasing the number of British managers first. 5 out of 20 last season with Rodgers and Parker being appointed at the fag end.
ornchurch ammer

Postby bristolhammerfc on Tue May 14, 2019 8:46 am

I think the issue is endemic in the game now.

A club over achieves. Said club then banks a chunk of cash and hangs on to survive.

The manager gets some cash buys a few mediocre players because the club is a small club. The fans think "we survived and bought players so we should be mid table"

The manager knows he hasn't had enough cash to do anything so plays percentage negative football to try and keep his job.. Fans call for sacking.
bristolhammerfc

Postby TheHandOfDog on Tue May 14, 2019 5:32 pm

bristolhammerfc wrote:The manager gets some cash buys a few mediocre players because the club is a small club. The fans think "we survived and bought players so we should be mid table"

I don't think this applies here, they spent money in the summer and ended up with less points than the previous season, combine that with their form in the last half of the season and his sacking was 100% right in my opinion. If the guy had got a few more points and a few positions higher then perhaps you have a case with the above statement.
TheHandOfDog

Postby Jon on Tue May 14, 2019 5:54 pm

Funny how Benitez gets a free ride from the press and the fans. I'd say Hughton's achievements have been incredible in comparison. Ironic that he's been sacked by both.

Their budget in Div 2 was dwarfed by NUFC and others. He then kept them up and got them through the tricky second season.

I'm fairly local to them and it's like their Board think they're something they're not. Cardiff played better football but went down. Which is better??

A cup semi final was amazing for the town. They are a Div 1 or 2 team historically. The man has done wonders and is as gracious and dignified as they come.

A real shame.
Jon

Postby prophet:marginal on Tue May 14, 2019 6:01 pm

The blunt reality is their position in the pecking order.

The single thing that they can offer is Premiership football, and the group of players that they'd be offered a browse of would probably have already been looked at and rejected by half of the top flight, or more.

Brighton came up because Hughton built a team for that purpose. Like a lot of promoted teams, they were able to smooth over squad deficiencies with the impetus that group, united in previous triumph, still retained, into the second season.

Some of the transfers, of players few if any other Prem clubs expected to do the business, backfired, but people are just too impatient, basically.

They could make a wise choice, and unearth the 'next big thing' out of the Championship, or

They could make the wrong one, and, frankly, not be seen again in the top flight for the same amount of time it took them to get here in the first place.

I hope he gets another (decent) job.
prophet:marginal

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion