New rules for next season

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

New rules for next season

Postby Graza on Mon May 13, 2019 3:54 pm

This https://www.theguardian.com/football/bl ... ext-season" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; came up on my feed and I wondered what else people would like to see to move the game on.

For reference the 5 on that list were:
Let players remove their shirts in celebration - stupid suggestion this one for me. Despite many thinking it's all to do with keeping the sponsors name in celebration photos for me it's time wasting. Throwing off your shirt running 30 yards away from it, walking back slowly, picking it up looking at it like they've never dressed themselves before... It's the equivalent of taking too long over a free kick or something for me.

Cap the number of players employed by one club - this is the best thing the league could do. It stops the richer clubs hoovering up talent and shelving them. The article picks on Chelsea but I believe City are just as bad.

Allow a fourth substitute - this is an interesting one. On the one side you let the money teams throw another £50m worth of talent on for the last 10. On the other you would see more kids get on, more legs late on making games a bit better and open up tactical options for managers making it a more chess like game.

Widen goalline technology to the rest of the pitch - if this is doable it's a no brainer for me. Yes there are errors in the game but this doesn't have to be one.

Mandatory 10-minute PA blackout before kick-off - stupid idea no merit.

The other three I would like to see are:

A hard review date for VAR - it's going to be a difficult thing to introduce. It's going to have teething problems, but I think that after 10 or 19 games they should have a look at what it's done with the game and choose to continue, pause until the end of the season or sack it off as a failure. 10 games should be a good learning set but maybe half a season is considered most fair?

Swarming officials to be banned (again) - this is something that gets on my wick, it almost certainly cost us out 3rd goal against Leicester as they protested our legitimate 2nd so hard when a similar thing happened straight after the lino let that influence him - cost us a million quid at least. For me no one should speak to a ref apart from a captain - maybe have a vice captain as well - unless the ref summons them.

Actually book people consistently for bookable offenses - time wasting, kicking balls away, breaking fouls on the half way line, not retreating 10 yards, the aforementioned barracking of officials. All of them get yellows, sometimes... Never is it consistent, even in the same game. It's certainly not for each team in the same game. Now some will say that you don't want games ending 7 v 7 and neither do I. But when you see a ball kicked away or picked up and run off with then thrown slowly and inaccurately back for the 20th time it boils my piss and I don't want it in the game. For me it's as transparent as the shirt issue, you've been told these things are bookings, if you get yourself sent off it's not the refs fault.

Mods - I know this comes up often I checked backed 4 pages couldn't see one to attach to but happy to see it merged.
Graza

Re: New rules for next season

Postby Kev59 on Mon May 13, 2019 4:02 pm

Outfield players will also be able to receive the ball in the penalty box from a goal kick.
Kev59

Postby Johnny Byrne's Boots on Mon May 13, 2019 4:08 pm

Definitely a yellow for everyone surrounding the referee.

One that always annoys me is standing in front of a free kick until the goalkeeper is happy with his wall. I'd give a yellow to any defender who doesn't immediately retire ten yards, and to anyone more than ten yards away who approaches closer.

You're either onside or offside, there's no in between. All this guff about being active and phases is just that, guff.

As in rugby, players to be treated on the pitch while play continues. Who knows, some of the injuries may not be as life threatening as they appear now.

Players who go off for a head injury (or who cause the game to be stopped for one ;)) must undergo a full independent assessment of at least ten minutes duration before being allowed to return.

Players being subbed must leave the pitch by the shortest route. If the ref considers a player is taking too long to leave the pitch he still goes off but the sub isn't allowed on and five minutes are added.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Postby James P on Mon May 13, 2019 4:11 pm

I don’t like more substitutes. I would actually advocate for less. Adds more chaos to the game when there is less opportunity to just bring on like for like subs when there are injuries and red cards.
James P

Postby BondsoBob on Mon May 13, 2019 4:25 pm

Kev59 wrote:Outfield players will also be able to receive the ball in the penalty box from a goal kick.

WTF is that all about? That's been one of football's laws for donkeys years. Why f@@k about with it now?
Oh I know why! Because they can. Headbanger
BondsoBob

Postby sendô on Mon May 13, 2019 4:27 pm

Do away with the ridiculous blur between "active" and "inactive" players in offside situations, or at least properly clarify the situation.

If you're on the pitch in an attacking position, in the penalty box or even worse the 6 yard box, regardless of what you are doing, what way you're looking, standing still, running or doing a handstand, you are interfering with play in one way or another.

The only situations where a player in an offside position is no interfering with play is if he's on the other side of the pitch or by the other corner flag, and either walks back onside and then continues with play, or else is in a crumpled heap in the corner.

As to substitutions, I think we should have 11 per half, and then another 11 for extra time. :P
sendô

Postby NedN on Mon May 13, 2019 4:30 pm

James P wrote:I don’t like more substitutes. I would actually advocate for less. Adds more chaos to the game when there is less opportunity to just bring on like for like subs when there are injuries and red cards.

To be fair, I think it’s potentially better for fans that the end of games are sometimes more wide open because of tired legs, however an additional sub would allow fans to see more players.

It could dramatically change the game tactically though; you could essentially replace a third of your team, while still reserving a sub for an injury. I think this is one of those weird scenarios where having 4 subs as opposed to 3 would allow managers to make much more of a difference tactically than having 3 as opposed to 2 subs (or 2 vs 1). The extra sub seems more significant when it ups the number to 4 as it really allows you to change the system, even at halftime, without fear of having to play short

I’d also be curious about injury statistics in the second half vs. first half of games. Logic seemingly should dictate that tired players are both more likely to be injured, and more likely to have to throw themselves into reckless challenges which could cause injuries.
NedN

Postby ornchurch ammer on Mon May 13, 2019 4:41 pm

BondsoBob wrote:
WTF is that all about? That's been one of football's laws for donkeys years. Why f@@k about with it now?

Its an easy way to waste time. Defender steps in to box to receive ball and kick has to be retaken.
Now a goal kick will be like a free kick as defenders can go as close as they like but attackers cannot go in box until kick is taken.
ornchurch ammer

Postby Claret&Blue,Thru& on Mon May 13, 2019 4:45 pm

Humanely dispatch any player going down loudly and/or theatrically by an official armed with a bolt gun?
Claret&Blue,Thru&

Postby Up the Junction on Mon May 13, 2019 4:47 pm

Graza wrote:Mandatory 10-minute PA blackout before kick-off - stupid idea no merit.

What does this mean?
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Postby James P on Mon May 13, 2019 4:48 pm

I think under VAR a lot of goals will be disallowed for active players being offside by a hair’s breadth. If you were to go back to penalising inactive players too you would see far, far fewer goals scored.
James P

Postby James P on Mon May 13, 2019 4:52 pm

Up the Junction wrote:What does this mean?

No music, DJs or any of it other the stadium PA for ten minutes prior to kick off. In theory let the crowd build up an organic atmosphere instead. Like the OP I don’t think it’d work myself.
James P

Postby YorksHammer on Mon May 13, 2019 4:55 pm

Graza wrote:A hard review date for VAR - it's going to be a difficult thing to introduce. It's going to have teething problems, but I think that after 10 or 19 games they should have a look at what it's done with the game and choose to continue, pause until the end of the season or sack it off as a failure. 10 games should be a good learning set but maybe half a season is considered most fair?

Surely you can't do that util the end of the season? Otherwise you'd have half the league season on one playing field and the other on another.

Imagine if we play, I don't know, Wolves in a game in the first 19, and Arnautovic is ruled just offside by VAR, goal disallowed, we draw 0-0. Now imagine in the reverse fixture in the last 19, Jimenez scores on and is just offside but no VAR, linesman doesn't flag and ref doesn't spot it, we lose 1-0.

We'd be complaining about those lost three points if it was the difference between 7th and 9th next year, or something.
YorksHammer

Postby e-20 on Mon May 13, 2019 4:55 pm

ornchurch ammer wrote:[

"BondsoBob" WTF is that all about? That's been one of football's laws for donkeys years. Why f@@k about with it now?

Its an easy way to waste time. Defender steps in to box to receive ball and kick has to be retaken.
Now a goal kick will be like a free kick as defenders can go as close as they like but attackers cannot go in box until kick is taken.

Rarely see a defender do that and a defender receiving it in the box allows potential opportunities to waste time too once they get the hang of how to exploit it. Equally the ref has options to add time and book a player deliberately wasting time while players wasting time within the area will remain immune. Best left alone methinks.
e-20

Postby James P on Mon May 13, 2019 4:58 pm

BondsoBob wrote:WTF is that all about? That's been one of football's laws for donkeys years. Why f@@k about with it now?

I felt like that when they changed the rule about kick off’s being allowed to go backwards allowing them to be taken by only one player. Seemed like a solution to a problem that didn’t exist.
James P

Postby sendô on Mon May 13, 2019 4:59 pm

I like to see a rule to stop rules being changed all the bloody time.

There's far too many of this little changes now and it's slowly altering the game beyond what it was.
sendô

Postby Rocket on Mon May 13, 2019 7:12 pm

Graza wrote:Let players remove their shirts in celebration - stupid suggestion this one for me. Despite many thinking it's all to do with keeping the sponsors name in celebration photos for me it's time wasting. Throwing off your shirt running 30 yards away from it, walking back slowly, picking it up looking at it like they've never dressed themselves before... It's the equivalent of taking too long over a free kick or something for me.

I have never seen a player do this.

Graza wrote:A hard review date for VAR - it's going to be a difficult thing to introduce. It's going to have teething problems, but I think that after 10 or 19 games they should have a look at what it's done with the game and choose to continue, pause until the end of the season or sack it off as a failure. 10 games should be a good learning set but maybe half a season is considered most fair?

As someone else said, it would have to be the end of the season.

Graza wrote:Swarming officials to be banned (again)

Actually book people consistently for bookable offenses

Absolutely. As you said, one is covered by the other!
Rocket

Postby Graza on Mon May 13, 2019 10:54 pm

YorksHammer wrote:Surely you can't do that util the end of the season? Otherwise you'd have half the league season on one playing field and the other on another.

Imagine if we play, I don't know, Wolves in a game in the first 19, and Arnautovic is ruled just offside by VAR, goal disallowed, we draw 0-0. Now imagine in the reverse fixture in the last 19, Jimenez scores on and is just offside but no VAR, linesman doesn't flag and ref doesn't spot it, we lose 1-0.

We'd be complaining about those lost three points if it was the difference between 7th and 9th next year, or something.

Surely if after 19 games you've played every team with VAR. After the uses in the world cup and bits of the FA cup they haven't refined what they are doing and will need iterating as it goes on.

Rocket wrote:I have never seen a player do this.

Just before they banner it there was a rash of late-ish goals where a discarded shirt was slowly retrieved and then put on statically then a slow walk back to the half way. It's the same reason they are booked for going into the crowd, it can take ages to retrieve them and they'll just blame the supporters (Tevez went into the crowd about 10 rows in front of me and that was a hell of a moment but he was still booked).

Given the current levels of gamesmanship and the general acceptance of it by many it would become standard.

Rocket wrote:Actually book people consistently for bookable offenses
Absolutely. As you said, one is covered by the other!

Aye well I wasn't going to do a section on each and the swarming annoys me more as an individual thing that they no longer bother to enforce. The other was more about consistency, in that people do get booked, but not always, and not if they play in red or blue...

Another one if like to see is an inplay clock. Removes one of the motivations behind timewasting (which should still be punished for breaking momentum)
Graza

Postby James P on Mon May 13, 2019 11:07 pm

There was a game last weekend (I want to say Huddersfield v Man Utd but possibly not) where a goal scorer kicked the corner flag smashing it into pieces and it took literally five minutes or so to source a replacement before the game could restart. He didn’t get booked. The shirt sponsor was clearly visible throughout. Guess that’s why.
James P

Postby hammerman11 on Tue May 14, 2019 6:16 am

how about treat the sky 6 like the rest of us and no more bias.
hammerman11

Next

Return to General Discussion