New rules for next season

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: New rules for next season

Postby HammerMan2004 on Wed May 15, 2019 11:58 am

The only thing I want us to do is let TV hear the referees like in rugby.

Would love to see the league market their starlets whilst they scream in the face of an official.
HammerMan2004

Postby Kev59 on Wed May 15, 2019 11:58 am

I'd like to see a change to the handball rule. This thing about it being "unintentional" is b*llocks if the handball denied a goalscoring chance or deflected the ball from its path.

I'd also ban substitutions in injury time.
Kev59

Postby Crossd_Hammrs on Wed May 15, 2019 12:20 pm

Kev59 wrote:Outfield players will also be able to receive the ball in the penalty box from a goal kick.

So the goalie takes a short goal kick to a defender in the penalty area but presumably no attackers can touch the ball until it's outside the penalty area.
Not only is that the effectively allowing the goal kick to be taken anywhere in the 18 yard box, or even dribbled out, but there's a whole new opportunity to time waste. Supposing the defender just stands over the ball without touching it for a couple of minutes?

I'm not sure about increasing subs.
And I don't see the need for players to fully remove their tops.

Rather than for ball out of play decisions, I've been wondering about technology for offside decisions. Is the ball chipped for the goaline technology? Players are certainly tracked all game, surely it wouldn't be a big step standardise the placement of tracking technology on all players (ie, in the collar at the back of the neck or waist band). All players could then be monitored for offside decisions, even all players in offside positions being highlighted, leaving just the instance the ball was played to be determined by human means. I know the positioning of the tags means that player positions aren't going to be perfectly accurate, but they will be consistent and close enough to be practical.

I agree yellow cards for appropriate offences should be consistently enforced - especially when they are cards for poor behaviour / sportsmanship.
And I don't agree with yellow cards being expunged after x games - although there could perhaps be an appeal system for clearly wrongly awarded cards.
In fact, I'd like to see red cards for intentional offences, but that won't happen.

Substitutes and injuries should leave the pitch directly by the shortest route, and I'd like to see a stretcher sent on immediately whenever the trainer needs to go on the pitch.
It's a bit tricky how long to keep a player off for though, as that punishes genuinely injured players too. Perhaps, if the injury wasn't the result of an awarded foul.
Crossd_Hammrs

Postby James P on Wed May 15, 2019 12:25 pm

Crossd_Hammrs wrote:So the goalie takes a short goal kick to a defender in the penalty area but presumably no attackers can touch the ball until it's outside the penalty area.
Not only is that the effectively allowing the goal kick to be taken anywhere in the 18 yard box, or even dribbled out, but there's a whole new opportunity to time waste. Supposing the defender just stands over the ball without touching it for a couple of minutes?

I would imagine the game is live when the goal kick is taken, not when the defender touches it. The attacker has to be outside the area when the goal kick is taken but can enter it straight away after.
James P

Postby WHJ on Wed May 15, 2019 1:35 pm

Book every player that goes down. The minority that have actually been fouled (and anyone else) can appeal and have their booking rescinded. Those that have their appeal rejected get a three game ban. That would soon stop the majority of cheats.
WHJ

Location: BMU - Soaking up the Boleyn atmosphere before we lose it forever>

Postby Row X on Wed May 15, 2019 2:43 pm

WHJ wrote:Book every player that goes down. The minority that have actually been fouled (and anyone else) can appeal and have their booking rescinded. Those that have their appeal rejected get a three game ban. That would soon stop the majority of cheats.

I'd just go around tripping everyone up, twice.
Row X

Postby thejackhammer on Wed May 15, 2019 3:03 pm

WHJ wrote:Book every player that goes down. The minority that have actually been fouled (and anyone else) can appeal and have their booking rescinded. Those that have their appeal rejected get a three game ban. That would soon stop the majority of cheats.

Wouldnt this just lead to defenders deliberately swiping out the legs of an attacker already on a booking thus getting him sent off?
thejackhammer

Postby Hammer1972 on Wed May 15, 2019 3:05 pm

So much wrong with this I don't know where to begin...
Hammer1972

Postby poplargeezer on Wed May 15, 2019 4:08 pm

Keep banging the drum on what should be called 'Enever's Law'.
Mr. Enever was our games teacher at Susan Lawrence Junior School in Poplar.(He even taught Harry Redknapp)
If you ever gave him any lip or disrespect during the game he would make you run the pitch.
(He once caught me cutting a corner and made me run around twice!).

Just think of the entertainment value when a player running around the pitch goes past the opposition fans.
Also, it seems daft that you can have the same punishment for giving lip as for something more serious like a dangerous foul.

Can't see any argument against it.
poplargeezer

Postby Concerned of Canvey on Wed May 15, 2019 4:32 pm

Substitues sauntering off the pitch annoys me and getting them to leave via the shortest route is the way forward.

My main issue is when a player is genuinely injured, trainers come on, injured player has to leave the pitch.

The reward being a free kick but the team commiting the foul have an extra man advantage :eh:

My solution would be the player committing the foul also has to go off and can only return along with the injured player or his substitute or if no substitues left after 5 mins.
Concerned of Canvey

Postby YorksHammer on Wed May 15, 2019 4:39 pm

I'd quite like to see game time shortened to 60 minutes, but with a ball in play timer that stops the moment it goes out for a throw in/corner/goal kick or play is stopped for an injury/substitution.

I seem to remember a season or so ago that a review of the actual time the ball was in play in Premier League matches was only between 53 and 56 minutes. Call it 60 for a round number and then make the time the ball is out of play actually matter, with time wasting no longer an offence because it's not possible.
YorksHammer

Postby Adrianisournumber1 on Wed May 15, 2019 5:21 pm

we have sinbins at Newhaven FC next season in our league :lol:
Adrianisournumber1

Postby screech on Thu May 16, 2019 6:23 am

fmgod wrote:I would like to see more far more respect for officials and it's easy, last night was disgusting one of the players literally berated the linesman to his face and the ref did nothing

Surround the ref - booking
Getting mouthy to the linesman - booking
Make var signal - booking

Then other simple stuff

Stand infront of a free kick - booking
Time wasting - booking
Kicking the ball away - booking

In grassroots football sin bins are being enforced for the 19/20 season
It was trialled last year and now being rolled out across the board, 10 mins in the sin bin for dissent towards the ref
screech

Postby brownout on Thu May 16, 2019 7:53 am

They should enforce the six (or is it seven?) second rule that limits the time a goalkeeper can hold the ball for.
I don't know why but this has become a rule that refs just ignore.
brownout

Postby thejackhammer on Thu May 16, 2019 8:46 am

Concerned of Canvey wrote:Substitues sauntering off the pitch annoys me and getting them to leave via the shortest route is the way forward.

My main issue is when a player is genuinely injured, trainers come on, injured player has to leave the pitch.

The reward being a free kick but the team commiting the foul have an extra man advantage :eh:

My solution would be the player committing the foul also has to go off and can only return along with the injured player or his substitute or if no substitues left after 5 mins.

Wouldn't be much of a stretch for a player to collide with the goalkeeper, go down 'injured', thus forcing the goalkeeper off.
thejackhammer

Postby Graza on Thu May 16, 2019 9:36 am

Nels wrote:When a player is substituted ,they have to leave the pitch on the side they are nearest to and as designated by the ref , hopefully that would stop the long slow drag to half way line to run the clock down.

This would be a great one. Along with players without a head injury or a break should be moved off the pitch before recieving treatment.
poplargeezer wrote:Keep banging the drum on what should be called 'Enever's Law'.

If combined with an in play clock you could stop the game so the fans can focus on jeering the ****hole and the ref/linos can make sure no corners are cut. Also make them do it in 2 minutes or less or it's a booking for holding up play.
Graza

Postby HammerMan2004 on Thu May 16, 2019 9:41 am

Graza wrote:If combined with an in play clock you could stop the game so the fans can focus on jeering the ****hole and the ref/linos can make sure no corners are cut.

You start getting into NFL territory there, stopping the game clock every time the ball is dead. It means 90 minutes of "football", but the game will become 2.5/3 hours long because each stoppage of the clock will probably lead to an advert break.
HammerMan2004

Postby Graza on Thu May 16, 2019 9:57 am

HammerMan2004 wrote:You start getting into NFL territory there, stopping the game clock every time the ball is dead. It means 90 minutes of "football", but the game will become 2.5/3 hours long because each stoppage of the clock will probably lead to an advert break.

Shorten the game to 80 minutes, punish deliberate slow play, we'd get to see more football and less titting about banging imaginary mud from the bottom of boots or rising like Lazarus from what must surely have been a fatal trip over a blade of grass.
Graza

Previous

Return to General Discussion