New rules for next season

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: New rules for next season

Postby Wilko1304 on Tue May 14, 2019 7:44 am

New rules I'd like to see?

Premier League games to have an independent doctor present for head injuries and any player who stays down for treatment on the pitch.

Concussion subs, so players can be looked at properly and carefully. If the player is determined to need taking off, the sub is either used up as one of the normal, allotted substitutes, or he comes off.
Wilko1304

Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"

Postby Samba on Tue May 14, 2019 8:58 am

Deduct Liverpool points for having Scousers as fans.
Samba

Postby thejackhammer on Tue May 14, 2019 9:53 am

All goals, penalties and offside decisions for Liverpool to e reviewed by an Everton fan to ensure all is impartial.
thejackhammer

Postby 61dicksey on Tue May 14, 2019 9:56 am

Beats me why a referee continually stops play , has a word with players grappling in the penalty area at corners , either give the free kick to obvious offender ( holding a player with both hands is a foul ) or ignore it. No good keep telling them and doing nothing about it. Rule change or apply the rules free kick to defending side penalty to attacking side.
Last edited by 61dicksey on Tue May 14, 2019 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
61dicksey

Postby fmgod on Tue May 14, 2019 10:20 am

I would like to see more far more respect for officials and it's easy, last night was disgusting one of the players literally berated the linesman to his face and the ref did nothing

Surround the ref - booking
Getting mouthy to the linesman - booking
Make var signal - booking

Then other simple stuff

Stand infront of a free kick - booking
Time wasting - booking
Kicking the ball away - booking
fmgod

Postby wildkard on Tue May 14, 2019 10:21 am

A crackdown on shithousery would cover most of these.
wildkard

Postby Denbighammer on Tue May 14, 2019 10:24 am

The only way I'd approve an extra sub being used is if the 4th sub is a youth player (say under 21 y/o).

The biggest improvement would be if a player goes down 'injured' he has to get to his feet within 3 seconds or he has to leave the pitch for two minutes to fully treat his 'injury'. Would stop all this rolling about pretending to be dead then leaping up and sprinting 30yds immediately after...
Denbighammer

Postby Exiledin cardiff on Tue May 14, 2019 7:12 pm

When was the last time a player was booked for "Foul and abusive language" is it still in the rules I'd like to see it being used strongly, I'm no prude but can lip read some of the stuff said to refs it's shameful.

Feigning injury, diving, cheating call it what you like, if an attacking sides player does it in the box or within 30 yards of goal straight red card. Anywhere else a yellow card.

Something has to be done to stop this it's spoiling the game,
Exiledin cardiff

Postby Hugh Jargon II on Tue May 14, 2019 7:22 pm

Separate timekeeper (4th official)

Obvious Divers to be banned for 3 games.

Clear air between players to be deemed offside.

All this "his knee was offside" b*llocks. **** off you stupid *****. Pardon?
Hugh Jargon II

Postby Cuenca 'ammer on Tue May 14, 2019 8:16 pm

Hugh

watched La Liga past 2 weeks running..

2 separate occasions whereby a goal disallowed by a half a stud. honest.

both games it wasn't a decider - but clear and obvious ?

on top of that the first one took about 3-4 minutes........as the commentary team said "if it's taking this long it cannot possibly be 'clear and obvious error' can it ?"
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado

Postby bowltorious on Tue May 14, 2019 9:01 pm

The best change would be multiball like pretty much any other league or having 40 minute halves where the clock is stopped everytime the ball is dead. The amount of time wasting and feigning injury is a joke and so tedious to watch and it never gets added on properly. The diving etc would stop instantly as the players would no longer gain an advantage as well as seeing stuff like it taking a minute for a throw in or goal kick.

I think it was Cardiff where we lost at their place where I didnt even feel like I'd watched a football match as they was so much time wasting and injury feigning, it was a disgrace.
bowltorious

Postby Graza on Wed May 15, 2019 8:00 am

Denbighammer wrote:The only way I'd approve an extra sub being used is if the 4th sub is a youth player (say under 21 y/o).

Maybe under 23 but yeah that would make a lot of sense - make it an England eligible player to boot.

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:on top of that the first one took about 3-4 minutes........as the commentary team said "if it's taking this long it cannot possibly be 'clear and obvious error' can it ?"

This is my worry. If it looks clearly wrong and can be proved one way or the other with a couple of play throughs/still frames then that's a reason to overturn an onfield decision. I suspect they'll poor over as much as they can get away with looking for someone picking their nose half a pitch away to not give a goal against a sky team...
Graza

Postby JPDWHU on Wed May 15, 2019 8:09 am

When they consider these changes they must think beyond just the top leagues. In youth football for instance the rule about the ball clearing the area for a goal kick is very important for the youngsters development. If that is taken away attacking players will swarm the box at a time when some kids cannot kick the ball very far.
JPDWHU

Postby James P on Wed May 15, 2019 8:44 am

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:on top of that the first one took about 3-4 minutes........as the commentary team said "if it's taking this long it cannot possibly be 'clear and obvious error' can it ?"

The clear and obvious standard doesn’t apply to offside decisions reviewed under VAR. Offside is offside or it’s not so VAR is used to establish which it is.

The clear and obvious threshold applies to other subjective decisions like fouls and handballs. In these occasions the referee’s initial decision is only overturned if it’s a clear and obvious error (in theory).
James P

Postby ornchurch ammer on Wed May 15, 2019 8:49 am

JPDWHU wrote:When they consider these changes they must think beyond just the top leagues. In youth football for instance the rule about the ball clearing the area for a goal kick is very important for the youngsters development. If that is taken away attacking players will swarm the box at a time when some kids cannot kick the ball very far.

My sons team has already played a youth game under these rules and it is a good improvement.

Currently if they want to play out from the back the defender has to stand outside of the box, potentially with an attacker right next to him. This forces the keeper to try and go long which they often don't have the strength to do accurately at 12 and 13.

Now the defender can stand next to the keeper on the 6 yard box and take a tap pass while the attacker has to stay out of the 18 yard box until the kick has been taken. This gives them an opportunity to have a little time on the ball, commit the attacker, and play out from the back.

Of course the teams without the confidence or ability to do that can still smash it long for a 50/50 every time.
ornchurch ammer

Postby Sloop John B on Wed May 15, 2019 9:07 am

Would agree with the active/inactive nonsense... You just can't have players standing in offside positions then moving back off side and then coming back into play.

They should clarify "inactive" as being someone laying injured on the ground.

I would clarify what is persistent fouling and have the 4th official keep a record... Player hits that number of fouls then a yellow.
Sloop John B
The voice of reason

Postby Graza on Wed May 15, 2019 9:31 am

James P wrote:The clear and obvious standard doesn’t apply to offside decisions reviewed under VAR. Offside is offside or it’s not so VAR is used to establish which it is.

The clear and obvious threshold applies to other subjective decisions like fouls and handballs. In these occasions the referee’s initial decision is only overturned if it’s a clear and obvious error (in theory).

Most of the time offside is "clear" but unless a camera is 100% level with the foremost attacker at all times the angle will always come into play. There might be some tech that could be deployed under the grass to give clear lines but it's not deployed yet. Also a mm of a knee cap or a toe is offside if you get the right frame showing it. If. I don't think anyone wants to wait 5 minutes for them to find that. They just want Liverpool's 2 yards offside to actually get called.
Graza

Postby ornchurch ammer on Wed May 15, 2019 9:58 am

Sloop John B wrote:Would agree with the active/inactive nonsense... You just can't have players standing in offside positions then moving back off side and then coming back into play.

They should clarify "inactive" as being someone laying injured on the ground.

Totally agree.

The idiot pundits go on about poor defending but when a player is offside until play goes past him and the ball is pulled back to him the defenders have got to go some to get close to him.

What bugs me as well though is that we don't take advantage of this in the same way as the likes of Liverpool and Spurs who seem to score a fair few goals this way.
ornchurch ammer

Postby Nels on Wed May 15, 2019 11:47 am

When a player is substituted ,they have to leave the pitch on the side they are nearest to and as designated by the ref , hopefully that would stop the long slow drag to half way line to run the clock down.

Also at our last home game ,in the first half ,I am sure there were no bad fouls or players going down and yet there was a minute extra, but don't know where that comes from.
Nels

Postby kitthehammer on Wed May 15, 2019 11:55 am

I don't agree with more subs. They are supposed to come on when somebody is actually injured, not because someone is feeling a bit tired or for a tactical change. And think of the amount of time-wasting and breaking up play there will be near the end of a match by teams who are ahead, by bringing on more subs.
kitthehammer

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion