Man City could face Champions League ban

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: Rio, Gnome, chalks, -DL-, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo

Re: Man City could face Champions League ban

Postby fmgod on Tue May 14, 2019 10:22 am

It's not just City is it but it's every team. Bizarrely in the this ultra offended society we now live in, nobody seems to bat an eyelid about Man City's money and others coming from very backward regimes and companies.
fmgod

Postby RichieRiv on Tue May 14, 2019 10:23 am

bristolhammerfc wrote:Until the Premier league and the FA actually start enforcing the fit and proper ownership rules then clubs are always going to be at risk.

It's not just in the top flight that the issues are either. More and more overseas investors are playing at things they don't properly understand

A good place to start would be the FA and the Premier League itself.

HammerMan2004 wrote:Essentially money buys success. Enough money will buy a way around the rules.

Bitter 'n' Twisted wrote:*cough-TEVEZ-cough*

I know we're West Ham so success is relative, but you could hardly claim that survival is buying success.
RichieRiv

Postby Tenbury on Tue May 14, 2019 10:37 am

Well our owners don't seem to see the difference...
Tenbury

Postby Billydinho on Tue May 14, 2019 10:39 am

As good as it is that they’re being investigated, how do Man United and PSG consistently get away with it?

To a lesser extent, what about Wolves?

Also, has the Belgian Prime Minister really not got anything else to do?
Billydinho

Postby sendô on Tue May 14, 2019 11:13 am

Kick one of the best teams and biggest TV draws out of the Champions League?

Yeah, right.
sendô

Postby The_Dead_Ball on Tue May 14, 2019 11:31 am

Won't happen. UEFA know its only push the big clubs closer to European Super League
The_Dead_Ball

Postby OrrMakesItThree on Tue May 14, 2019 11:59 am

They could........but they won't.
OrrMakesItThree

Postby 61dicksey on Tue May 14, 2019 12:11 pm

Paying Gareth Bale £600k a week is bordering on madness and this is the problem teams just keep,paying players silly money so financial fair play is a total joke.
61dicksey

Postby Johnny Byrne's Boots on Tue May 14, 2019 12:12 pm

From UEFA's point of view , MCFC are both big enough to make their point by banning, and not quite important enough in the worldwide scheme of making money for UEFA. You do see their shirts being worn in far flung corners of the world, but nowhere near as often as MUFC, Liverpool, Real Madrid and Barcelona for example.

They're almost the perfect candidate for UEFA to flex its muscles.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Postby Bitter 'n' Twisted on Tue May 14, 2019 12:24 pm

HammerMan2004 wrote:Essentially money buys success. Enough money will buy a way around the rules.

Bitter 'n' Twisted wrote:*cough-TEVEZ-cough*

RichieRiv wrote:I know we're West Ham so success is relative, but you could hardly claim that survival is buying success.

I was referring to '"money buying a way around the rules" Rich.

We were getting a 3pt deduction and it was being announced at 12:30 effectively relegating us but Eggy and his lawyers threatened to bring it to the European Courts. The FA said if you do that we will have to stop the league fixtures for weeks before it can be settled. Eggy said "try months… we'll keep this in court until at least Christmas…." That would mean delaying there start of the following season for two divisions!

The announcement was delayed until 2 or 3pm and we received a world record fine of £5million with the previous highest fine being something like 150K… Eggy wrote the cheque keeping us in the race to stay up.

We stayed up, other teams got the hump, and we paid multiple millions the Sheffield United. And rightly so.

Since that day, being a West Ham fan has meant something different to me. The romance was gone for me long before the move.

I know a few people won't like me saying that. Because the truth hurts like a bitch.
Bitter 'n' Twisted

Postby uptonparkhurst on Tue May 14, 2019 1:10 pm

The key word in the OP's title is "could".
Don't worry, it's bound to be replaced later on by "won't".
uptonparkhurst

Location: The World Wide Web - where men are men,women are men,and children are the Metropolitan Police

Postby Crossd_Hammrs on Tue May 14, 2019 2:09 pm

uptonparkhurst wrote:The key word in the OP's title is "could".
Don't worry, it's bound to be replaced later on by "won't".

That was my first thoughts when I first read the article on a different site though worded very similarly (if not just a copy and paste job).
Seems to me somebody has asked some other person to look into something which if true the first somebody might recommend to another person an unprecedented punishment that the other person has yet to say anything about.

Interestingly, Man City deny these allegations, whereas previously they pleaded guilty to FFP violations.

Yes, about Liverpool.
Leicester also broke Football League financial regulations in their Championship promotion year - yet the Premier League and UEFA turned a blind eye to that. If they'd been relegated instead of winning the PL there might have been repercussions.

Neither the FA nor the Football League seem to really care about the welfare of clubs - there is plenty of examples of them ignoring and even aiding the plight of troubled clubs - in Boston United's case they even changed their own rules twice inflicting a double punishment demoting the League Two club three divisions in two seasons.
How deducting imposing a 12-point penalty for entering administration or even directly relegating a club is supposed to help the club, I really don't know.
So what is the real reason behind these financial regulations? Does seem very much as though it's to keep the current elite clubs separate from any newly-rich hopefuls.

UEFA may have a different agenda, but the repeated changing of formats of it's club competitions to ever-increasingly favour and accomodate the rich clubs from the elite leagues suggests not.
Crossd_Hammrs

Postby goa127 on Tue May 14, 2019 4:27 pm

City may come unstuck because of the success of other English clubs in Europe. Uefa would love to put a brake on the premier league and City are undoubtedly the easiest (and guiltiest) target.
goa127

Postby vietnammer on Tue May 14, 2019 5:16 pm

In the 'won't happen' camp. A few years back there were 'rumblins' about clubs disguising player's wages as image rights which somehow was a tax avoidance strategy. It was historic enough (6 years is it? Gnome?) for HMRC to make a huge swoop on just about every Prem league club and, the way it was written, it would have been disastrous for most of them at the time. Then, it all went quiet. Probably warned off of ever using the practice again. Likewise Man City and FFP I reckons.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

Postby Cuenca 'ammer on Tue May 14, 2019 5:34 pm

depends on maybe if this is a different case.

got fined 49M (32 I think it was "deferred") or the same case with stuff they didn't know about before.

trouble with this amount of publicity, what's the betting that The Axis of Evil will trot out a "this is why we are very careful to operate within the FFP guidelines."

:x
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado

Postby westham,eggyandchips on Tue May 14, 2019 5:42 pm

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:
trouble with this amount of publicity, what's the betting that The Axis of Evil will trot out a "this is why we are very careful to operate within the FFP guidelines."

:x

Thankfully they rarely trot anything out these days.
westham,eggyandchips

Postby Cuenca 'ammer on Tue May 14, 2019 5:45 pm

not since just before giving Declan Rice a new contract....

not as much and as often, but it's still bubbling under the surface......
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado

Postby Jon on Tue May 14, 2019 5:58 pm

Odd that fantasy football is better regulated than the real thing!!!

I'm in a league. £100m spend, not a penny more. Every player valued. My season mirrored ours:

Conistently inconsistent. Finished 11th....
Jon

Postby Johnny Byrne's Boots on Thu May 16, 2019 9:56 am

BBC Breaking News Manchester City referred to Uefa Adjudicatory Chamber

Manchester City say they are "disappointed, but regrettably not surprised" after being referred to Uefa's club financial control body.

BBC Sport reported this week that Uefa investigators want City banned from the Champions League for a season if found guilty of breaking financial rules.

Chief investigator Yves Leterme has made his recommendation to Uefa but it is not known if he supports a ban.

City said "the accusation of financial irregularities remains entirely false".
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Postby Estuary on Thu May 16, 2019 10:02 am

Trouble with this amount of publicity, what's the betting that The Axis of Evil will trot out a "this is why we are very careful to operate within the FFP guidelines."

I imagine the reason they play safe is the £29m worth of fines we got lumped with over the **** show around Tevez.
Estuary

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion