Jermain Defoe - a poll

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Defoe - would you have him back at West Ham?

Poll ended at Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:26 am

Yes please
64%
Not flaming likely
25%
I dunno
10%

Total votes: 441

Whufc06
Has liked: 122 likes
Total likes: 373 likes

Re: Jermain Defoe - a poll

Post by Whufc06 »

I think that was his 4th hatrick in a year
sicknote
Plumbing the depths
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by sicknote »

RichieRiv wrote:Out of interest how much of JD have you lot seen, other than that of the England and us vs the Spuds twice year? I suspect very little.

2 Spud ST holder mates of mine don't rate him.

But nevermind a once in a blue moon hatrick and you're nursing lazy ones.

most spurs fans don't even like themselves mate, hardly a good barometer :wink:
screech
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by screech »

RichieRiv wrote:Out of interest how much of JD have you lot seen, other than that of the England and us vs the Spuds twice year? I suspect very little.

2 Spud ST holder mates of mine don't rate him.

But nevermind a once in a blue moon hatrick and you're nursing lazy ones.
I have actually seen quite a bit of him, not a stalker but seen enough of his game over the years since he was poached from the charlton youth team, I grew up with his cousin but never actually met mini judas so I'm well aware of his career through the years to say that he is a quality striker. Just cause 2 spuds say thay don't rate him don't mean he is a **** player! Most spud fans I know are so far up their own arse they probably believe they are better than him :asleep:
Can't believe I'm sort of sticking up for the little fecker
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 764 likes
Total likes: 3494 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

hammer1975 wrote:has he said bad stuff about west ham since he left?
Always been complimentary about WHU in public and has apologised for the manner in which he left - and he loves his mum. On the negative side he appears to have a penchant for a circuit slapper or two (BB bird from Wickford and Teddy's ex to name but two, IIRC).

Still the most natural finisher we have in this country IMO though as Richie rightly points out, I've not seen a lot of him in recent years so probably aint best placed to comment.

Wonder if he keeps in touch with his old Hammers striker partner?
Voronin

Post by Voronin »

Up the Junction wrote: Always been complimentary about WHU in public and has apologised for the manner in which he left - and he loves his mum. On the negative side he appears to have a penchant for a circuit slapper or two (BB bird from Wickford and Teddy's ex to name but two, IIRC).

Still the most natural finisher we have in this country IMO though as Richie rightly points out, I've not seen a lot of him in recent years so probably aint best placed to comment.

Wonder if he keeps in touch with his old Hammers striker partner?
Totally agree, actually one of the most underrated players in the PL IMO. WOuld love him back, but obviously way too good to consider returning. regarding Sjölund, he has actually played for Djurgården in Sweden the last seven years, a bottom team in the swedish league, would probably be on the lower half of league one. He´s decent in this league, nothing more, and he is actually a central modfielder these days. Pretty highly regarded at West Ham as a kid though, was n´t he?
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Voronin wrote:Pretty highly regarded at West Ham as a kid though, was n´t he?
Well Liverpool paid us a million for him, Voronin, so they must have thought so.

I always thought he (Sjolund) was a decent finisher but lacked a bit of bottle (he was only 16/17 at the time though). Didn't know he'd been at Djurgården for that long, guess it's never going to happen for him now.

Here's a couple of bits on him from the KUMB archives:

http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=11515" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=11499" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Voronin

Post by Voronin »

Interesting read UTJ, did n´t know he was THAT highly rated, i guess it goes to show how important the psycholgical side of football is, we´ve had english players hin Sweden that were nowhere near the squads of their PL team, still they´ve been among the best players in the entire league over here!

He was on the bench at Djurgården for the first four years or so, when they had a really good team (Elmander, Källström, Isaksson et. al.), got a starting place when he moved to midfield, and the team became a lot worse!

He was actually rumoured to go to my local club IFK Göteborg this summer, but they did n´t want to pay enough for him. He´s 27 now, so he probably won´t play in a better league than the Swedish.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 305 likes
Total likes: 799 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

I wondered how long it would take for the Spurs fan = deluded = don't know anything about football. Predictable.

Bit rich really considering some of the drivel that gets posted here.

As for my two mates I rate their opinion more than most on here, purely because they've seen him more than I have, plus they knowledge of football doesn't mean reeling of stats.
screech
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by screech »

RichieRiv wrote:I wondered how long it would take for the Sp*rs fan = deluded = don't know anything about football. Predictable.

As for my two mates I rate their opinion more than most on here, purely because they've seen him more than I have, plus they knowledge of football doesn't mean reeling of stats.
It's not just spuds fans that are deluded mate every club has deluded fans it's just spuds are a club that I hate due to the level of arrogance and boasting of nothingness from their muggy fans
prince_huggy
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by prince_huggy »

Jermain Defoe - a poll - no he's not but Crouch is :thup:
sicknote
Plumbing the depths
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by sicknote »

RichieRiv wrote:I wondered how long it would take for the Sp*rs fan = deluded = don't know anything about football. Predictable.

blimey mate

my reply was in jest

i sat next to jermaines dad every away game he played for us, and there were enough west ham fans that made it known they didn't rate or like him every week, didn't make him a bad player, at the moment he is the most natural goalscorer this country has, and when picked for england does produce that form
RichieRiv
Has liked: 305 likes
Total likes: 799 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

sicknote wrote:blimey mate

my reply was in jest

i sat next to jermaines dad every away game he played for us, and there were enough west ham fans that made it known they didn't rate or like him every week, didn't make him a bad player, at the moment he is the most natural goalscorer this country has, and when picked for england does produce that form
Apologies mate, my comments weren't aimed at you...
solar hammer

Post by solar hammer »

The only reason anyone should dislike Defoe is because he plays for the pigs. He admitted it was an error to hand in a transfer request as soon as we were relegated, apologised to the fans and that was that. In the end was the last of the 'too good to down players' to leave. I was gutted when we let him go and have been crying out for us to re-sign him at every opportunity. He can go off the boil now and then but when on fire he's as clinical as they come. Git.
vbessex

Post by vbessex »

Still cannot celebrate his England goals. Always pleased when he scores for England-yes but to cheer would be OTT.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Voronin wrote:He was actually rumoured to go to my local club IFK Göteborg this summer, but they did n´t want to pay enough for him. He´s 27 now, so he probably won´t play in a better league than the Swedish.
I should apologise Voronin - in retrospect, my comments appear terribly rude. I wasn't criticising the Allsvenskan intentionally, what I meant was that at 27 he's unlikely to make it in the big three - England, Spain or Italy - now.

Where's Kim Kallstrom playing these days? Another one who was highly rated (and linked with us during Pardew's reign).
szola
Has liked: 590 likes
Total likes: 353 likes

Post by szola »

Up the Junction wrote:Where's Kim Kallstrom playing these days?
Still in Lyon. Been linked away in the last transfer window I believe, but haven't read anything about him wanting out this time around.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Thanks szola :thup: My knowledge of football outside of east London is somewhat lacking.
10 Iron

Post by 10 Iron »

Up the Junction wrote:Thanks szola :thup: My knowledge of football outside of east London is somewhat lacking.

buenos serra por Italia. hired a 250cc. basle in morn
Voronin

Post by Voronin »

Up the Junction wrote: I should apologise Voronin - in retrospect, my comments appear terribly rude. I wasn't criticising the Allsvenskan intentionally, what I meant was that at 27 he's unlikely to make it in the big three - England, Spain or Italy - now.

Where's Kim Kallstrom playing these days? Another one who was highly rated (and linked with us during Pardew's reign).
No need to apologize UTJ, if you won´t critisize allösvenskan, I certainly will, it is absolute rubbish, and I don´t think any team in allsvenskan would avoid being bottom five in the championship. Sjölund is certainly not good enough to play in any of the big leagues, Denmark at the very best. My childhood teammate Kim Källström (i know I´ve said this a million times before), is still at Lyon, played most of the league games last season, but was mostly on the bench in the important CL games, the signing of Gorcouff certainly won´t make things easier for him.

I started a thread last autumn about a swedish article stating that West ham scouts were watching him when sweden played Denmark in the qualifications to SA. Really gutted for us, aswell as for Kim that we could n´t get him this window. Allthough I suppose that Hitz is basically the same player....

I´m flying over on thursday to see the Chelsea game, really looking forward to singing bubbles with the rest of you!! :crest:
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Voronin wrote:No need to apologize UTJ, if you won´t critisize allösvenskan, I certainly will, it is absolute rubbish, and I don´t think any team in allsvenskan would avoid being bottom five in the championship.
Who am I to argue?

:lol:

Safe journey mate.

10 Iron: You're on the way to Switzerland? Have fun and behave yourself, no upsetting any Swiss West Ham players now...