"Ransom computer virus" on KUMB ?

Experiencing technical problems with either KUMB.com or your PC in general? Get help here.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, Rio, Gnome, chalks

"Ransom computer virus" on KUMB ?

Postby Hammer Sandwich on Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:48 pm

Hi all,
Several times in the last few weeks whilst on KUMB my screen has suddenly been filled with this supposed warning sign with a voice saying “your computer has a virus, call this number”. It’s obviously a scam to make money, and is incapacitating my computer in every aspect. I took my pc to my computer man this week who scanned and cleaned it. He called it a “ransom virus”. Well, b****r me, it is back again a few days later! I’ll be asking him to have another look at it after the festive period, but as well as warning everyone about this virus, my questions are.........
Has anyone else suffered with this?
Is it a virus that has infiltrated KUMB’s own security ?
Does anyone have a solution to it ? :?
Thanks in advance !...............and Happy Christmas !
Hammer Sandwich

Re: "Ransom computer virus" on KUMB ?

Postby wormley on Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:50 pm

Hammer Sandwich wrote:Hi all,
Several times in the last few weeks whilst on KUMB my screen has suddenly been filled with this supposed warning sign with a voice saying “your computer has a virus, call this number”. It’s obviously a scam to make money, and is incapacitating my computer in every aspect. I took my pc to my computer man this week who scanned and cleaned it. He called it a “ransom virus”. Well, b****r me, it is back again a few days later! I’ll be asking him to have another look at it after the festive period, but as well as warning everyone about this virus, my questions are.........

Buy a mac
wormley

Postby Tristan Shout on Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:55 pm

I've had this pop up but admittedly it was on an "adult" site :arry:
then again on a site i was using to view the latest cinematic releases,
Must be the latest one doing the rounds at the moment, I certainly wouldn't be tempted to ring the number though
Tristan Shout
An unhealthy interest in "Dogging"

Postby the pink palermo on Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:58 pm

If you ring the number you get through to UtJ who will unlock your PC if you buy a premium membership*

*This may not be true .
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Postby Tristan Shout on Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:06 pm

found this online
Step #1: Forcefully Close the Scam Window

As I mentioned earlier, once these scam website pages are displayed, the close or minimize / maximize buttons are removed from the browser page. To close the "Your Computer is Infected" window, do the following:

Press CTRL + ALT + DEL on the keyboard to bring up the Windows Task Manager.

Once Task Manager has started, go to the Details tab on Windows 8 and 10 (or Processes tab on Windows 7 and earlier) and click on the Name heading so that the processes are sorted by Name.

Look for the name of your web browser in the Names column. If you are using Firefox, then the task name would be firefox.exe; if you were using Chrome, then the task(s) would be labeled as chrome.exe; for Edge the task would be labeled as MicrosoftEdge.exe; for Internet Explorer, the task would be labeled as iexplorer.exe.

Using your mouse, left click over top of the browser task name to highlight it, then right click over top of the highlighted task and select "End task". There may be more than one browser task listed; in this case you will need to end them all in order to uninstall any rogue software associated with the browser (described in Step #2 below).
Step #2: Remove the "Your Computer is Infected" Scam from your Browser

Now that the browser window has been forcefully closed, you are now ready to uninstall any potentially unwanted programs (PUPs). It's these programs that are responsible for hijacking your web browser, which also make it impossible to modify your home page settings so that you can prevent the scam site from appearing in the first place. Here are the steps:

Click Start and type in "control panel"; when Control Panel appears in the list, click it.

Set the View to Large Icons (if it isn't already), then look for Programs and Features in the list. Double left click Programs and Features to launch it.

Maximize the Programs and Features window; look for the heading labeled "Installed on" and click the heading. The most recent programs should now be displayed at the top. If it is not, click the "Installed on" headings again to re-sort the list.

Look for any programs that were installed recently in the last week or so. If you see any programs you don't recognize as something you specifically requested as being installed, chances are it is a rogue program. In that case, you can uninstall it. Proceed through the list of installed programs and remove and potentially unwanted software.

OPTIONAL: If you have any questions as to whether or not one of your installed programs is trustworthy, use another web browser (either installed on your computer or using another computer) and go to Google's website and type in the name of the questionable program, then click the Search button. If you see a lot of pages reporting "how to remove [name of program]", then chances are you have found the rogue program causing the problem.

At this point the program causing your browser to become hijacked should be removed from the system. Next, launch your web browser; do not be alarmed if the scam site appears again; this time you should be able to get inside the browser settings to remove the scam site from your home page.
Tristan Shout
An unhealthy interest in "Dogging"

Postby -DL- on Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:34 pm

Hammer Sandwich wrote:Hi all,

The pop up is the start of a scam, and it's hosted on an ad server - which would be nothing to do with this site. By calling the number, you then allow them remote access to your PC for a fair wedge. They then say it's done, but what's really happened, is that they've then slammed a ransom virus on there, and hey presto, a few days later it 'comes back' and you have to then pay again to get that removed and your files decrypted. In the meantime, I'd go and see your PC man and get your money back, as if you did have a ransom virus, all of your files would have become encrypted, and the algorithms they use are un-decryptable - there is no known way to get your data back. But believe you me, that page would not have put a ransom virus on your machine. It's there to scare you in to calling the number so they CAN put a virus on there. So your computer man is telling you porkies.
-DL-
Match thread guru

Postby Georgee Paris on Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:37 pm

Have you tried wiping your nob on the screen?
Georgee Paris

Return to Helpdesk