Harddrive Enclosure

Experiencing technical problems with either KUMB.com or your PC in general? Get help here.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, Rio, Gnome, chalks

Harddrive Enclosure

Postby Happyhammer52 on Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:37 pm

Evening all,

Looking for a harddrive reader for the below device, not sure exactly what I need though. Any advice would be great./

Happyhammer52

Re: Harddrive Enclosure

Postby -DL- on Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:32 am

What's it for? Is it just to get data off, or is it so you can use it as an external extra drive? It's an old IDE drive, slow and ancient. If you want an extra external drive, you may as well just buy a new external with far greater capacity than 160 GB.

If you're just wanting to get data off, I am presuming you have a PC, so getting an IDE to SATA adaptor would be your best bet for a temporary solution so you can connect it in to a PC.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-3-5-PATA- ... xyHt9R3oPZ
-DL-
Match thread guru

Postby Happyhammer52 on Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:01 pm

Hi Mate,

Yeah all I want is to get data from it, got a lot of photos from the Great Escape season on there that I would like to take a look at.

Not technically savvy at all, so how would that device you put in the link then connect to say my laptop to read the data from it?
Happyhammer52

Postby uptonparkhurst on Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:33 pm

Happyhammer52 wrote:Hi Mate,

Yeah all I want is to get data from it, got a lot of photos from the Great Escape season on there that I would like to take a look at.

Not technically savvy at all, so how would that device you put in the link then connect to say my laptop to read the data from it?

DL will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think your laptop would provide enough power to spin up the
IDE drive. Even if it did, there probably would not be enough space to connect it in place.

Ideally you need access to a desktop computer that takes 2 drives so that you can connect the IDE drive (using the Ebay gizmo) then boot Windows off the main drive and copy your photos.
If the desktop only has 1 hard-drive it can still be done but it is fiddly and involves booting an OS from a CD
or USB stick.

If you've only got the laptop then there are HDD docking stations that you can buy which cater for IDE and SATA, whether 2.5 laptop drives or 3.5 desktop drives..
They have their own power supply. You insert the hard-drive and connect it to your laptop with a USB lead.
In effect it becomes a stonking great USB stick!
However if you look at them on Amazon you will see that (certainly for the cheap ones) they get very
variable reviews (which is why, as yet, I've never bought one) .
Wait to see what DL recommends.
uptonparkhurst

Location: An Alternate Reality of Evil Spells and worse spelling

Postby -DL- on Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:47 pm

If it's just to get your pictures off, get the drive to me in Strood if you can when you're free and I will get them off and put them on to DVD.

it's really not worth weighing out around 25 quid for an IDE to USB adaptor and power supply (which is what you'd need) for half hour's use.

You can pick up enclosures for about 15-20 quid too - search IDE External Caddy.
-DL-
Match thread guru

Return to Helpdesk