A bit of techie support please

Experiencing technical problems with either KUMB.com or your PC in general? Get help here.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, Rio, Gnome, chalks

A bit of techie support please

Postby BalaamBoy on Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:59 pm

Firstly very Happy New Year, fellow KUMBers. Let's hope that 2018 is, is, well, not quite as **** as 2017 at least!

Anyway, I know some of you are wizzo IT types, so perhaps you could help me, a complete computer numpty.

I have thousands of photos on my computer. I have an external HD that makes a regular back up of all files. And from time to time, I make an extra copy of my pictures onto another dedicated external HD, just in case.

I tried to add the extra files to this HD earlier in the week, but it did not work. The HD beeped, and that was all. I tried different USB ports, I tried plugging both the cables in etc... still nothing.

What should I try now? Is the HD totally cream crackered? If so, is there a better and more reliable system I should use to save all of my pictures?

Thanks for any and all ideas!

Cheers

BB
BalaamBoy

Re: A bit of techie support please

Postby Johnny Byrne's Boots on Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:37 pm

Have you considered cloud storage?

If you're using Windows 10 you're three quarters of the way there already, you just need to set up Microsoft One Drive. Basically you store your pictures on Microsoft servers located who knows where. You can also choose to make them available offline, which as far as I can work out keeps a copy of them on your computer. There's no extra steps needed to store them either, the One Drive folder appears on your system like any other.

What operating system are you using?
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Location: Hit the fairway, hit the green, sink the putt. How hard can it be?

Postby uptonparkhurst on Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:19 pm

No expert myself, but here goes -
(I'm assuming that the HD in question is a 2.5 in a caddy, since you mention plugging in both leads)
I've had a situation where the caddy itself stops working properly but the HD itself has not failed.

Do you have a spare caddy?

If not - (this is not for the faint-hearted)
You can take the HD out of the caddy and connect it to your computer in place of the main HD.
This means that your computer now has no operating system on it, but you can boot off a DVD (or USB stick) that has a Linux operating system on it. These can be downloaded for free, but you can buy a disc off EBAY
for not much more than a quid.(If you want a recommendation, go for Lubuntu 16.04).
Booting from the DVD you choose the "Try without installing" option, and when the o/s has booted fully,
the HD file system will show up in the File Manager if the HD is readable.
If you need more info - PM me.
uptonparkhurst

Location: On the ground floor, thinking that the "next level" could be the basement

Postby fmgod on Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:02 am

I'd take it out the caddy and plug it into the PC and see if Windows picks it up, it probably will in a lot of cases it's just the usb to sata connection that breaks and going forward I would store them all in on Google Drive/Photos etc, install Google File stream then you've got them locally stored and syncing automatically everytime.
fmgod

Postby BalaamBoy on Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:57 pm

Thanks for the help.

JBB - I'm using a iMac, running macOS Sierra v 10.12.4 (I had to look this up), so Im guessing the microsoft servers are not accessible. Is there an Apple equivalent?

UPH - my heart is incredibly faint, so your option frightens me rather. I'll try and take the HD out of the caddy and see if it works. If it does, Can I just buy a new caddy?

FMG - I'm looking into the cloud storage possibility, but that does worry me somewhat. If the US election can be hacked then so could my collection of slightly blurred, pie-faced family pictures. How secure are they?

Thanks again, and all fingers crossed for tonight's six-pointer!!

COYI
BalaamBoy

Postby fmgod on Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:53 pm

Nothing is ever going to be 100% secure but if you really wanted you could zip the photos up into a rar/zip file and password protect it as another layet
fmgod

Postby Johnny Byrne's Boots on Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:08 pm

There is indeed an Apple equivalent, iCloud. You get 5Gb free storage or you can pay a monthly fee for more. I don't know how to set it up but hopefully someone else on here will know.

iCloud Drive is the file storage app, iCloud Photos deals with photos taken on your phone or tablet.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Location: Hit the fairway, hit the green, sink the putt. How hard can it be?

Postby hammer etc on Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:06 pm

Have you thought about an SSD drive, expensive but thought to be more reliable than HDD as they have no moving parts.
hammer etc

Postby EugeneSpeed on Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:40 am

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:There is indeed an Apple equivalent, iCloud. You get 5Gb free storage or you can pay a monthly fee for more. I don't know how to set it up but hopefully someone else on here will know.

I bit the bullet and started paying for the 200gb of space on iCloud. It's £2.49 a month.

Very easy to set up. Go to the Photos app, open Preferences, then theres an option to sign into iCloud and it uploads the lot (I have about 60gb worth so it took ages). It then keeps a set on your machine, and a set in the Cloud.

Then, every time you connect your camera/phone and add photos to your library it automatically adds them to the library on your machine and your library in the Cloud. You can then access your photos on all of your devices (iPhone, iPad, Apple TV). It's great as I can upload all my photos from Xmas day for example, and my Mrs can then look at them immediately on the telly or the iPad.

I also keep a back on an external HD too just in case, but I don't fully trust them as it's easy to drop them, lose them etc.
EugeneSpeed

Postby York Ham(mer) on Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:53 pm

My photos upload from my iPhone and iPad to iCloud but I also have them automatically uploaded to Flickr where you get 1,000 GB of free storage.
York Ham(mer)

Return to Helpdesk