The USA don't really get soccer.....

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

westhamerica
Has liked: 56 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Re: The USA don't really get soccer.....

Post by westhamerica »

WHUJohn wrote:I was there very recently and these are, hand on heart, some of the stuff I overheard in Bars watching the games.
I absolutely believe all of that. I was at a family party today where people who I never thought were mildly interested in the game were talking about the US in the World Cup. They were saying incredibly stupid things. They were saying stupid things to each other under the precipice that they knew the people they were talking to were likely saying equally as stupid things.

I didn't say anything, but when someone alerted them to the fact that I work in the massive world of football the conversation just went dead. They all realized I was the guy who knew they were saying stupid things, like some kind of football mole. I was just glad we're at the point here in the US where pretending to know anything about football is something worth doing. It's a sign of progress, because that's usually reserved for just our four "major" sports.

Who knows, maybe these people will take lick their wounds and truly get educated in the game. I was one of those people not so long ago.
WalthammerUSA

Post by WalthammerUSA »

Romford wrote:The US news is all about "Soccer" currently and the "I believe we'll win" caper.

The Yanks get it far more than the Frogs.....who only wanted to know the football when they made it through to the Semi's.

I have been to plenty of Euro's and WCs and the French one defo had the least atmosphere amongst locals.
I couldn't believe when I moved to Paris in 2001 how little the locals knew or cared about football. I knew considerably more than they did about the French team! They are the biggest bunch of bandwagoners I've ever seen.
WalthammerUSA

Post by WalthammerUSA »

Romford wrote:There was a big thing last week on Racist and Homophobic behavior on ABC news that was an absolute joke....they bought out the usual Eastern European malarkey and even had a pop at the Mexican fans for being anti-gay.

Pretty sad for a country who still has more problems than most.....and need armed guards at schools.
Fortunately, only people older than 70 still watch network news. And we won't need armed guards once we start arming the students ...
Claretdave
Harry's estranged lovechild
Location: Congratulations you have just met the LME (Liberal Metropolitan Elite).

Post by Claretdave »

WalthammerUSA wrote: I couldn't believe when I moved to Paris in 2001 how little the locals knew or cared about football. I knew considerably more than they did about the French team! They are the biggest bunch of bandwagoners I've ever seen.
It is very regional in France. The south is Rugby country, and the bigger cities can only muster one club each. However, it is the number one sport in the north: Lille, RC Lens, Valc, even Boulogne were in the top a few seasons ago.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2475 likes
Total likes: 2697 likes

Post by sendô »

westhamerica wrote: I absolutely believe all of that. I was at a family party today where people who I never thought were mildly interested in the game were talking about the US in the World Cup. They were saying incredibly stupid things. They were saying stupid things to each other under the precipice that they knew the people they were talking to were likely saying equally as stupid things.

I didn't say anything, but when someone alerted them to the fact that I work in the massive world of football the conversation just went dead. They all realized I was the guy who knew they were saying stupid things, like some kind of football mole. I was just glad we're at the point here in the US where pretending to know anything about football is something worth doing. It's a sign of progress, because that's usually reserved for just our four "major" sports.

Who knows, maybe these people will take lick their wounds and truly get educated in the game. I was one of those people not so long ago.
It seems odd that people would so obviously lie about something they know nothing about like that. If it was me and it was a sport I knew little about and I knew someone was there that did know something, I'd ask him. "Hey, I caught a World Cup match the other day. So how good is the US team? Have we got a chance? Who are the favourites? Who do you think is going to win?" etc etc.

Some people just like to play billy big b*llocks I guess.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3677 likes
Total likes: 2379 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

westhamerica wrote: I absolutely believe all of that. I was at a family party today where people who I never thought were mildly interested in the game were talking about the US in the World Cup. They were saying incredibly stupid things. They were saying stupid things to each other under the precipice that they knew the people they were talking to were likely saying equally as stupid things.

You've hit the nail on the head there mate. People who have never previously had any interest in the game are talking about football. They're talking about it stupidly for the most part but they're talking about it all the same.

I've lost count of the number of people I've heard preface a football/soccer chat with "I mean I used to play soccer up until I was like 12" - as if that somehow makes them qualified to critique the game. :D
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

WCpete wrote:
Don't know what you're talking about Rom. What happened?
I watch BBC News to go to sleep to ...and they put the ABC News every now and then.

I like to get a rounded view on my News so listen to it most nights...SKY have CBS every night to.

I'm not sure what side this was but they had a 5 minute VT on Racism and Homophobia in Football/Soccer and went on about the Mexicans being against Gays (God knows where that comes from) and then showed the Banana malarkey and then went into the Eastern European/Russian gangs.

Your lot do like a pop at the Russians :D

Then they went on about the fella dressed up as a Drill Sargeant starting all the singing in Brazil.
WCpete
Has liked: 1462 likes
Total likes: 3150 likes

Post by WCpete »

Espn made some kind of disclaimer before the match saying they couldn't douse the offensive word very time the opposition of the Mexicans take a dead ball kick. I hadn't noticed anything up until they brought it up. I guess they say "puto" at every corner and goal kick. Anyhow, the press has goy to talk about something I suppose, which is why I never listen to them.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

WCpete wrote:Espn made some kind of disclaimer before the match saying they couldn't douse the offensive word very time the opposition of the Mexicans take a dead ball kick. I hadn't noticed anything up until they brought it up. I guess they say "puto" at every corner and goal kick. Anyhow, the press has goy to talk about something I suppose, which is why I never listen to them.
So puto is "Poof" ?
WCpete
Has liked: 1462 likes
Total likes: 3150 likes

Post by WCpete »

Says the urban dictionary:

spanish word for a male prostitute. sometimes it´s offesive for homosexuals. in mexico it is used for cowards and traitors.

I always assumed it was the former.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

WCpete wrote:Says the urban dictionary:

spanish word for a male prostitute. sometimes it´s offesive for homosexuals. in mexico it is used for cowards and traitors.

I always assumed it was the former.
So in the 80s when everyone here would go "Your **** ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh" they shout out poof/coward/traitor

Watching The Soprano's has more in it :)
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 593 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Romford wrote: Mexicans being against Gays (God knows where that comes from)
Well God would know, the Catholic Church forbids it from de Bible.

On the Puto/Puta...far as I know it's a French/Spanish term for either whore or minge, though it is very often used as a general (and therefore not very strong) swearword.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

vietnammer wrote: Well God would know, the Catholic Church forbids it from de Bible.

On the Puto/Puta...far as I know it's a French/Spanish term for either whore or minge, though it is very often used as a general (and therefore not very strong) swearword.
I'm not getting into a row about Religion now..... :wink:
WHUJohn

Post by WHUJohn »

sendô wrote: It seems odd that people would so obviously lie about something they know nothing about like that. If it was me and it was a sport I knew little about and I knew someone was there that did know something, I'd ask him. "Hey, I caught a World Cup match the other day. So how good is the US team? Have we got a chance? Who are the favourites? Who do you think is going to win?" etc etc.

Especially if you add an American male or males, add being in a bar, add alcohol and add females being around.
PalmettoHammer

Post by PalmettoHammer »

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/u-s--becom ... 10530.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Quote:
Their optimism is refreshing.

"If the World Cup – the pinnacle of England's favorite sport by a country mile – has shown us anything thus far this year, it's that the Americans are actually doing it right," wrote Liam Happe, an English sports journalist for Yahoo Eurosport. "I know who I'll be cheering for throughout the rest of the finals."
Whitters
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Post by Whitters »

sendô wrote: It seems odd that people would so obviously lie about something they know nothing about like that. If it was me and it was a sport I knew little about and I knew someone was there that did know something, I'd ask him. "Hey, I caught a World Cup match the other day. So how good is the US team? Have we got a chance? Who are the favourites? Who do you think is going to win?" etc etc.

I suppose not unlike during London 2012 when we all became experts at Taekwondo/Diving/Track Cycling, etc
Dyl

Post by Dyl »

Bonzos4Lagers wrote:As an Englishman who's been in the USA for nearly 20 years and who coaches the game at a high level at a prestigious school, two things:

the arrogance of the English abroad is astonishing. To see fans dressed as Crusaders and carrying inflatable Spitfires is embarrassing (to be fair there was a time when I would have found it funny, but I've grown up).

secondly, there was a time when just being an English coach was to be seen as knowledgeable and advantageous to your team. Now the English national team epitomises all the shortcomings of a system that produces technically poor players who play without imagination, flair, and in the game versus Uruguay -- courage to want the ball. Pitiful.
Living in America working as a coach, living my dream. Can I have a job please kind sir?
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

They got it tonight :thup:
WHUJohn

Post by WHUJohn »

Yeah they definitely got it.

Absolutely brilliant performance against a team who are said to be so much better in every department.

Guts, determination, passion, pride and some quality.

Absolutely everything that you'd want from your national team, and something that I can't remember seeing in an England team for a very LNG time.
AndyCarrollsBarber

Post by AndyCarrollsBarber »

Oh. My. Gosh. I thought they were going to pull one out of the bag in overtime.