The USA don't really get soccer.....

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3687 likes
Total likes: 2411 likes

Re: The USA don't really get soccer.....

Post by Morocco Mole »

AndyCarrollsBarber wrote:The US networks are probably furious that the match doesn't stop for erectile dysfunction ad breaks every 10 minutes. Watching sport on tv in the US of A is one of the most painful experiences one could ever suffer.
Thanks to Ian Darke and Steve McManaman primarily.... :)
Last edited by Morocco Mole on Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 770 likes

Post by Billydinho »

Let's be fair my soccer loving friends, England would beat USA at a game of football.
Morocco Mole

Post by Morocco Mole »

Billydinho wrote:Let's be fair my soccer loving friends, England would beat USA at a game of football.
What like last time you mean....?
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 770 likes

Post by Billydinho »

Even West Ham drew with Chelsea.

Any international team with Jozy Altidore in it really shouldn't gloat about anything.
Morocco Mole

Post by Morocco Mole »

Seems to me the only c**** gloating are the ones already on the plane.... :lol:
Philosophical Dan
KUMB's campest cyclist
Location: 10 PRINT "Philosophical Dan is Skill! "; 20 GOTO 10

Post by Philosophical Dan »

Morocco Mole wrote:What like last time you mean....?
Fair's fair - Greeno was a teeny weeny bit entirely at fault for that result :)
Morocco Mole

Post by Morocco Mole »

Philosophical Dan wrote: Fair's fair - Greeno was a teeny weeny bit entirely at fault for that result :)
And?

Four years on and the yanks still have a better keeper than us....
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

Lee_WHU wrote: Admittedly, I did give up trying to get into the NFL for this reason. ****ing excruciating all the stoppages, I don't know how anyone puts up with it! I tried for the course of the season, not 1 game. I won't be back next season
If you have sky sports watch red zone on an NFL Sunday, no ad breaks :thup:
RichieRiv
Has liked: 305 likes
Total likes: 799 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

Arguably the biggest football spectacle in the world and you start your domestic season?

USA, the Millwall of international football.
Muddy
Has liked: 26 likes
Total likes: 42 likes

Post by Muddy »

Billydinho wrote:Let's be fair my soccer loving friends, England would beat USA at a game of football.
Bwahahahaha. We wish :(
bobcar

Post by bobcar »

Morocco Mole wrote:And?

Four years on and the yanks still have a better keeper than us....
Howard has had a poor World Cup so far so I would disagree with that. Admittedly Howard is better than he has shown so far but Hart would have been crucified had he performed like Howard.
WalthammerUSA

Post by WalthammerUSA »

RichieRiv wrote:Arguably the biggest football spectacle in the world and you start your domestic season?

USA, the Millwall of international football.
The MLS season started months ago. It's a summer season. I wish we'd play at a proper time of year, too, but I understand why we don't. Winters are harsh in the Northeast and Midwest (and in the mountains, see that Costa Rica qualifier in Denver). Lots of snow. Also, "soccer" can't possibly compete with football in the fall and basketball in the spring, but it can compete pretty effectively with baseball.

More than anything, I'd like to see us introduce promotion and relegation. A couple of potential rivals to the MLS have talked about doing it, but it's a logistical nightmare in a country this size. Clubs don't have the money to travel long distances. Also, casual fans don't understand the concept yet.
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 118 likes
Total likes: 130 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

WalthammerUSA wrote: More than anything, I'd like to see us introduce promotion and relegation.
Can't see it ever happening .... it's sort of un- American. Could you imagine it being introduced in the NFL? Some poor ****er explaining to Bill Ford that 'cos the Lions are really ****, they're gonna have to play college teams next season. Mind you, I reckon Ohio State would give 'em a good game :D

More seriously, there just aren't enough clubs .... until there are at least 40 MLS sides a two-division structure makes no sense.
WalthammerUSA

Post by WalthammerUSA »

Clucking Bell wrote: Can't see it ever happening .... it's sort of un- American. Could you imagine it being introduced in the NFL? Some poor ****er explaining to Bill Ford that 'cos the Lions are really ****, they're gonna have to play college teams next season. Mind you, I reckon Ohio State would give 'em a good game :D

More seriously, there just aren't enough clubs .... until there are at least 40 MLS sides a two-division structure makes no sense.
I don't see it happening, either. The NASL/USL/NPSL in the lower tiers have talked about doing it, but those clubs don't have anywhere near the resources for that sort of thing. They do have numbers (there are 90 teams in the NPSL alone), but they don't have the revenues or the fan bases to survive relegation.

I would love for relegation to exist in American sports. The Cleveland Browns would be playing Ohio junior high football by now.
VikeltAussie
Location: Sydney, Sydney, oh Sydney said I, I will stand in Moore Park til the day I die

Post by VikeltAussie »

I want Sacramento Republic FC in the MLS. Theyve had sellouts of 20k in the Third Division... forget what it's called.
I love the Yanks are taking to football long may it continue
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 547 likes

Post by sutts07 »

bobcar wrote:I think they have a point, really the clock should be stopped when the ball goes out of play and a game should be exactly 90 mins (maybe 5 minutes less). Doing so would completely remove time wasting.

The problem is games where there are a lot of stoppages as they could go on a long time.
Wasn't there a game in the last African Nations that was stopped close to the 87th minute for around 15 mins due to a broken post?

The ref then added 15 mins on and that allowed time for a comeback. Everyone was fuming. How can you add 15mins on when there is only 3 mins left to play?

A countdown clock (or start stop timer) would actually work a lot better at the elite level. Rugby use it well enough, would set up some pretty exciting final few mins.
WHUJohn

Post by WHUJohn »

I've just come back from there after another 10 day trip.

Amazed as per usual at the growth of the game which is easily more than any other sport.

They have a far superior mindset, positive attitude and mentality towards the game ( and most things actually ) at youth level than there is in the UK and they will and are growing stronger each day.

They haven't got it all right yet of course, and parents are far too involved with things when they know little about the game but I was amazed to see the interest in the game and not just WC fever as it's been increasing for years now.

The national team are achieving results too now that the current England side could only dream of, and I can't see that changing any time soon neither.
chappo59
Location: In a land far far away where away defeats are frowned upon
Has liked: 398 likes
Total likes: 226 likes

Post by chappo59 »

Seems like the yanks are finally getting soccer!!
bobcar

Post by bobcar »

sutts07 wrote: Wasn't there a game in the last African Nations that was stopped close to the 87th minute for around 15 mins due to a broken post?

The ref then added 15 mins on and that allowed time for a comeback. Everyone was fuming. How can you add 15mins on when there is only 3 mins left to play?
If the ref added on 15 minutes after the restart (i.e. they played another 15 minutes) then that was clearly a mistake of the highest order.
A countdown clock (or start stop timer) would actually work a lot better at the elite level. Rugby use it well enough, would set up some pretty exciting final few mins.
Yes that is undoubtedly the fairest method and it would completely eliminate time wasting. The concerns I have are the possibility of some matches with lots of stoppages going on a long time. I don't know if in practice this concern would be validated, it would be interesting if a survey were done of last season to see how long games actually lasted i.e. how long the ball was in play - maybe it has been done?

I think it is ridiculous how referees wait until there is a quiet passage before blowing the final whistle, presumably this is related to the Clive Thomas Brazil incident where I have to say I think he got it right.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2019 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

chappo59 wrote:Seems like the yanks are finally getting soccer!!
.......and evidence to back that up. :thup:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-magazin ... r-27978699" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;