Luis Suarez: what now?

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

WHUJohn

Re: Luis Suarez: what now?

Post by WHUJohn »

Cambiasso wrote:
This .... if we're talking about football. They have an "all is fair in war" footballing mentality. Whatever it takes to win. They're proud of their "garra charrua". Uruguayan sides, club or national, have been and are some of the dirtiest playing sides on the planet. Suarez is just the ultimate embodiment of the "garra charrua" philosophy. That's why I think there's so much support for him back home.

It pains me to say this about Uruguay. I want to like them --- as an Argentine I identify with them culturally --- but they make it so damn difficult.
Appreciate that insight Cambasso and it intrigues me learning about other cultures.

I'm off to learn about Garra Charrua now as I've got a feeling it's going to amaze me.

I don't condone biting whatsoever and still see it as mainly an animal instinct and not a normal one, but I'm really gonna find this " all is fair in war " mentality interesting.

Just wish it didn't include biting but there we go, we can't have it all.
rsnwhu
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by rsnwhu »

Seriously, what planet is this fool from ?

"I lost my balance, making my body unstable and falling on top of my opponent," wrote Suarez in his defence to Fifa.

"At that moment I hit my face against the player leaving a small bruise on my cheek and a strong pain in my teeth."
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/28069689" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Excellent slow mo vid Slip my arse. What a grade a c***
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by rsnwhu on Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WHUJohn

Post by WHUJohn »

The trouble is, different mentality or not doesn't make it right, there nearly 4m of them that think that too.

It reminds me of religion.
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

rsnwhu wrote:Seriously, what planet is this fool from ?...
The thing is I'm starting to think that he and his allies actually believe the ***** they are coming up with.
Rasp
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Rasp »

Double Post Sorry
Last edited by Rasp on Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WHUJohn

Post by WHUJohn »

wolf359 wrote:
The thing is I'm starting to think that he and his allies actually believe the ***** they are coming up with.
This is the thing.

That what Cambiasso mentioned is one thing, but this is something different entirely.

This is complete denial and is most certainly not " all is fair in war " because for starters' it isn't war, it's a game of football and that's it.

The opponent/enemy aren't going to kill you and your life is not at risk, you can't compare war to a game of football and you simply can't bite people either on a street or on a football pitch and use cultural reasons as an excuse in my opinion.

Or I suppose you can, but just don't expect people to think you have a civilised culture.

If he came out and talked about the Garra Racchua being what it is and saying that what he did was actually completely wrong but just a spontaneous, instant reaction that he clearly needs help with, I could understand that and I dare say many, many others would to.

But this isn't that, this is a complete country in utter denial of the incident completely.

They're basically saying it never happened.

I have to wonder if they think the same about the other two biting incidents too, whether they don't think they have any bearing on this incident or whether they feel he was off balance in these two incidents too.
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1224 likes
Total likes: 1643 likes

Post by last.caress »

He slipped! Landed teeth-first on the guy's shoulder! Seems reasonable enough. It's almost certainly what happened the other two times as well. Slipped!

I think we should give the poor sod a break. How traumatic must it be to be globally labelled a bitey donkeyfaced f*ckbum, when all you've done is accidentally slipped and stabbed three people with your incisors? He must've been as shellshocked as the rest of us when he realised it had happened again. Of all the rotten luck!

Poor sausage.

Suarez yesterday: Misunderstood
QuintonNimoy

Post by QuintonNimoy »

WHUJohn wrote:The trouble is, different mentality or not doesn't make it right, there nearly 4m of them that think that too.

It reminds me of religion.
It all adds up to phenomenal support for the players.

A while ago, probably the last time we were twatted on penalties, I took some time to look into reasons why certain teams fail their penalties. One of the most interesting things I discovered is that the more your culture stresses individual responsibility the less well your team does at penalties and vice versa.

I don't know what Uruguay's penalty record is like but if they forgive everything their players do like this it's probably pretty good.
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1224 likes
Total likes: 1643 likes

Post by last.caress »

QuintonNimoy wrote:I don't know what Uruguay's penalty record is like
50% success from eight penalty shootouts in major tournaments, against England's 17% success from six penalty shootouts in major tournaments.

http://www.penaltyshootouts.co.uk/countries.html

:thup:
WHUJohn

Post by WHUJohn »

Good stuff Guys.

I fancy a pretty good record would equate to a bit more than success in every other shoot out however.

Interesting through.
bonehead

Post by bonehead »

it's like the actions of a small child, that doesnt yet realise other people can see straight through blatant lies
WHUJohn

Post by WHUJohn »

Another good shout.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Cambiasso wrote:
They have an "all is fair in war" footballing mentality. Whatever it takes to win. They're proud of their "garra charrua".
Great insight, thanks.

It is clearly a mentality that has not really been working out too well for them though in the last 60 odd years of (of World Cup football anyway) so maybe it needs adapting a little bit.
Devils Advocate
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by Devils Advocate »

I see Suarez is now at home with his nippers. And his kids.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

I see a 5 year old lad called Harvey, bit a girl during a school match and told his teacher, " Well, footballers do that "
_fortunes_

Post by _fortunes_ »

I just laugh at him and everything else, the comments from people all over the world, the jokes, the snide remarks and the circus that he has created.

If somehow their national team could muster any sort of conscionable decision after having been dumped out of the World Cup, it must be that Suarez should not be allowed anywhere near their team ever again.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Would it be wrong of me to suggest that most of these nations that profess a 'win at all costs/sport is war' type mentality tend to be those that don't really have much of a history of actual war? :hush:
York Ham(mer)
Has liked: 111 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by York Ham(mer) »

The four month ban is a 'breach of his human rights' apparently, according to Uruguay captain Diego Lugano. :?
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

Just a product of modern society, always shift the blame, always an excuse, never account for their actions, ahh his robbed twenty people this week but he's had a hard upbringing, just give him a caution. Suarez will never learn if he is constantly indulged and never really punished, okay he's not playing for four months but he will get paid and spending time with his kids, how that's a punishment, to truly get him to change he needs no wages for four months but he is too valuable asset for that to happen, cash and morales difficult balance for football clubs, if this had been a Liverpool youth player he would be gone.
WHUJohn

Post by WHUJohn »

Great points fmgod but I'm not sure if medina society that we are used to can be comparable to this cultural thinking in a small South American country.

I can definitely see what you mean though and what you say does have merit, but I think this is more to do with the stuff that Cambiasso touched on.

It just so happens that our modern society values, or lack of them, tie up with this Uruguayan cultural thing.