Quarter Finals Costa Rica v Netherlands

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Re: Quarter Finals Costa Rica v Netherlands

Post by Billydinho »

Why was that a great substitution?

Penalty shootouts are a complete lottery. Van Gaal gambled and won but it was hardly tactically innovative.it could have just as easily backfired.

Tactical genius is spotting a weakness in the game no one else could and exploiting it. F*cking penalties may as well be a coin toss.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

Charles Berstad wrote:What exactly have Germany (except Müller falling over easily two or three times over the course of five matches) and Argentina (except for being extremely dull) done wrong?
the argies were time-wasting as soon as they scored, hilarious!
and müller's real name is kuntz.

now i think the 'less worse' scenario is robben exploding his knee and holland winning it... :thdn:
paulthebubble

Post by paulthebubble »

Great effort from Costa Rica. Well done to them for getting this far.

The Dutchies are getting on my nerves-Robben flopping, RVP trying to con the ref instead of looking to score, the #4 with his 25 fouls, Krul's antics.
What about the Dutch asking for a yellow card for a hand ball when the ball struck the player in the shoulder?
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Van Gaal delivered a Krul blow to Costa Rica
BMLGirl
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by BMLGirl »

AndyCarrollsBarber wrote:England are the true winners of this World Cup... By losing and departing with dignity.
You really think that? Unbelievable :lol:
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

Some of Robbens acrobatics last night were borderline works of art - reminded me of Uncle Albert falling down the cellar of the Nags Head. Once you accept the bloke is always looking to fall rather than resist a tackle, it becomes fun comparing the histrionics that follow.

He is ultimately though the main reason why I want anyone else to win the thing. Had a soft spot for the Dutch going back to Euro 88 & yet can't cheer a team with that bloke instrumental in their success

His fitness levels are amazing though
D C
Has liked: 1103 likes
Total likes: 1439 likes

Post by D C »

Billydinho wrote:Penalty shootouts are a complete lottery.
They really aren't.
Philosophical Dan
KUMB's campest cyclist
Location: 10 PRINT "Philosophical Dan is Skill! "; 20 GOTO 10

Post by Philosophical Dan »

e17 wrote:His fitness levels are amazing though
More like "completely implausible unless he's been getting some extra help from his chemist".
artlin

Post by artlin »

PHEW ..................

that was close.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

Philosophical Dan wrote: More like "completely implausible unless he's been getting some extra help from his chemist".
Convinced of this even more after last nights games, without a doubt something fishy going on, no matter how fit someone is you can't do what he is doing naturally, even more so when you compare him to other players at the world cup. He's older than most, had a lot of injuries throughout career, just played a 45 game season yet in ridiculous temperatures and after a lot of games in a short space of time is running at full speed for 120 minutes and outpacing players who have played a lot less games and are younger.
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 119 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

e17 wrote:His fitness levels are amazing though
Philosophical Dan wrote:More like "completely implausible unless he's been getting some extra help from his chemist".
Whatever it is, it makes him look ancient! The ****er's only thirty but, he looks like he could get a bus pass.
e17

Post by e17 »

He's 30?!? :shock:

Honestly thought he was a couple years younger than Ryan Giggs at best

He looks like he's in his fifties
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

ooh look who it is wrote:Didn't Sir Bobby plan to sub Shilton for Beasent in Italia 90 against West Germany?
Something of an urban myth. In Italia 90 you still named five subs. You didn't have the rest of your squad available to sub in. Chris Woods was on the bench. Beasant wasn't.
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

D C wrote:
They really aren't.
:lol:

Here we go.

Enlighten me. As a goalkeeper with a decent penalty record, I can assure that if a penalty taker puts it in the top corner, you won't be saving it.
ooh look who it is
Location: I'm a reasonable guy. But, I've just experienced some very unreasonable things.

Post by ooh look who it is »

James P wrote:[

Something of an urban myth. In Italia 90 you still named five subs. You didn't have the rest of your squad available to sub in. Chris Woods was on the bench. Beasant wasn't.
Maybe it was Chris Woods then he planned to put on. What I meant anyway it had been done before whereas the media made out Van Gaal was the first bloke to swap keepers for a penalty shoot out. Good mind games though as whether he was or not the change made out that Krul was a penalty expert. Could have planted a seed of doubt in the Costa Ricans mind.
e17

Post by e17 »

The Shilton/Beassant story came from Bobby Robson himself. Bout halfway down

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/bob ... on-one-one" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ooh look who it is
Location: I'm a reasonable guy. But, I've just experienced some very unreasonable things.

Post by ooh look who it is »

Thanks e17
e17

Post by e17 »

My pleasure mate.

Wonder if Van Gaal thought about Robsons decision? Read a few interviews where he's very very complimentary about Robson & his experience of him at Barca etc
James P

Post by James P »

Whether Bobby Robson said that or not, the fact remains that Beasant wasn't a named substitute and couldn't have been brought on for the shoot out. Maybe Bobby's memory was playing him up.
James P

Post by James P »

Billydinho wrote:Enlighten me. As a goalkeeper with a decent penalty record, I can assure that if a penalty taker puts it in the top corner, you won't be saving it.
It's not a lottery as to which team's players are more likely to be able to put their penalties in the top corner. Nor is it a lottery as to which team's goalkeeper is more likely to save those that aren't put in an unreachable position.