The Final: Germany v Argentina

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

paulthebubble

Re: The Final: Germany v Argentina

Post by paulthebubble »

Good points Cambiasso.
The ref should have given reds to Howedes and Neuer and probably Aguero.
Everyone was expecting Argentina to have a very good attack and not so good defense but the opposite was true. They reminded me of Greece in a way because our attacking players were either unfit or out of form and others were not picked.
Your team gave everything and played for the shirt and with passion. You cannot ask for more.
Like you said you had chances but didn't score. Messi could have used more help. Lavezzi, I agree, came off too soon. Higuain maybe came off as a result of the collision with Neuer. Should Banega and Pastore been in the squad?
I always had a soft spot for Argentina. My grandfather's brother took his family to Buenos Aires in the 60's. We lost touch over the years but I believe I have cousins there.
Buena suerte por Albiceleste en el futuro.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

Thought they look unbalanced, the defensive seven were great but then the front three seemed to have no chemistry together or someone to supply crosses, get down the wings etc. It was like put our three best strikers on the pitch and hope something comes off, looked far more solid at the back without Di Maria though who was getting exposed big time playing a CM role in the other games
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Rocketron »

Cambiasso, I totally agree re Lavezzi.
He should not have been subbed.
The most dangerous player for your team throughout the tournament.
Cambiasso
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 37 likes

Post by Cambiasso »

paulthebubble wrote:...
Should Banega and Pastore been in the squad?
I always had a soft spot for Argentina. My grandfather's brother took his family to Buenos Aires in the 60's. We lost touch over the years but I believe I have cousins there.
Buena suerte por Albiceleste en el futuro.
I would have had Pastore in the squad -- maybe in place of Maxi.

Thanks for the kind words. I love the Greek people (I have various friends) and their rich culture. I've had the pleasure of visiting Greece in the past and hope to go back to visit some day soon. I also would like to say that I consider the Greek supporters as the best in Europe in terms of originality and creativity in their songs. Reminds me a lot of the songs in Argentina.
paulthebubble

Post by paulthebubble »

I would have had Pastore in the squad -- maybe in place of Maxi.

Thanks for the kind words. I love the Greek people (I have various friends) and their rich culture. I've had the pleasure of visiting Greece in the past and hope to go back to visit some day soon. I also would like to say that I consider the Greek supporters as the best in Europe in terms of originality and creativity in their songs. Reminds me a lot of the songs in Argentina.[/quote]

Thank you too. I hope you get back to Greece soon. We were at the Greece-Argentina match in 1994 and were sat with the Argentine fans. They sang the whole time and had great songs. They sang the whole time on the plane too. We lost 4-0 but losing to such a great team and fans made it easier to take. I think Argentina could have won it that year if Maradona hadn't been suspended.
We were there for the group stage in Portugal for Euro 2004. At Spain-Greece match in Porto the Spanish were singing most of the game-'putas griegas, putass griegas, ole ole'. At the end of the match, which finished 1-1, we were singing- poutso pare poutso pare ole ole (complete with pelvic thrust). I never saw a ground empty so fast.
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 393 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

do germany get to keep the trophy now, and they have to make a new design ? i know they were west germany , but im sure you get to keep it after 3 wins
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1223 likes
Total likes: 1643 likes

Post by last.caress »

chigwells finest wrote:do germany get to keep the trophy now, and they have to make a new design ? i know they were west germany , but im sure you get to keep it after 3 wins
No, FIFA changed that. You can't win it outright anymore. I don't think the winners are even allowed to take it back to their country for the duration of their reign. Once it's been paraded about on the night, FIFA take it back. Winners get a gold-plated copy of the trophy, which they're allowed to keep forever. Silly though, because they're going to have to change it in another couple of World Cups anyway; the winning nations are engraved on the bottom, and they're almost out of space. Might as well let ze Germans keep it