Wales

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

hammers92
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1773 likes

Wales

Post by hammers92 »

What an outstanding achievement last night to qualify for the euros and their first major tournament since 1958. I think it's great to see not just England qualifying as usual and if they win on Tuesday, the Repubilic of Ireland will be there too. Chris Coleman has built on the foundations that were laid before and improved them, lifting them into the top 10 of the world rankings, what a story! Hopefully Bale stays fit and they give it a good go when they arrive in France.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2677 likes
Total likes: 1779 likes

Re: Wales

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Diolch yn fawr iawn , Morthwyl 92 ! :)

I will be 60 next March , I was 2 years of age when Wales last qualified for the World Cup , so it brings it home how long it's been .
We came close on occasion , it nearly happened in 1976 - it was Yugoslavia that did for us that day , then I was at Anfield when Joe Jordan handled the ball and the Ref gave a penalty against Wales , it's been travesty after travesty .
Even during the Home International Championships Wales would more often than not lose , I thought we were going to win the very last Championship but got pipped by Northern Ireland .
At last we Welsh will have something to cheer about .
chalks
Sliding down his pole
Has liked: 703 likes
Total likes: 1634 likes

Post by chalks »

I genuinely think Wales, Nortern Ireland and Eire (if they qualify) will do better than the English at the Finals

Mainly because of passion for the shirt
James P
Has liked: 27 likes
Total likes: 169 likes

Post by James P »

chalks wrote:I genuinely think Wales, Nortern Ireland and Eire (if they qualify) will do better than the English at the Finals

I very much doubt it. England's flawless record in qualifying is likely to see them seeded and give them a fantastic chance of getting through the group stage compared to the other nations from the British Isles. I'd be very surprised if any one of Wales, N. Ireland or Rep. of Ireland went a round further than England.
WCW66
Has liked: 3 likes

Post by WCW66 »

It wouldn't surprise me to see all of them in the same group! :lol:
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

From what I have seen of the qualifiers and it is quite a lot, there doesn't appear one stand out team for the finals. I expected Germany to push on after their World Cup winning success, but they looked awful against the Irish the other night and have limped through the qualifiers, the Dutch, always strong in tournament football, look like missing out altogether, Spain have looked OK at times, as have Italy and Belgium have a team of individuals, but not a team, but in that list, is one of the finalists, if not both. Personally, I wouldn't rule out France, who will have home advantage and so I have told, look extremely impressive. They certainly have the players to win the thing. As for the home nations, personally, I think all of them have two hopes. No hope and Bob Hope
Jedi Al Khalaas
Shut that door ...
Has liked: 131 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by Jedi Al Khalaas »

congrats to Wales and northern Ireland

should be a good tournament next year!
Jedi Al Khalaas
Shut that door ...
Has liked: 131 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by Jedi Al Khalaas »

Do you think the death of Gary Speed contributed in some way to galvanize this team ?

ie doing it for him?
jaybs
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by jaybs »

Just so pleased for Wales, as many others say a true passion, good on Cyprus beating Israel!
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

They have some very good players, Bale and Ramsey are better than anything England have. Their passion and teamwork make up for the lack of quality of the other players. Ashley Williams is solid at the back as well.

It's a shame Jack Collison's injury stopped him from fulfilling his potential or that Wales midfield would be terrifying.
jammys78
Total likes: 1 like

Post by jammys78 »

Jedi Al Khalaas wrote:Do you think the death of Gary Speed contributed in some way to galvanize this team ?

ie doing it for him?
Considering there has already been 2 tournaments they have failed to qualify for since his death then no, I would imagine more to do with the form of Gareth bale got them through
jammys78
Total likes: 1 like

Post by jammys78 »

thejackhammer wrote:They have some very good players, Bale and Ramsey are better than anything England have. Their passion and teamwork make up for the lack of quality of the other players. Ashley Williams is solid at the back as well.

It's a shame Jack Collison's injury stopped him from fulfilling his potential or that Wales midfield would be terrifying.
Went to watch my local team Swindon yesterday as we had no game and Jack came on as a sub for Peterborough real shame about what happened to him he had so much potential but yesterday he looked out of his depth even in league one too slow and really struggled to keep possession whenever on the ball
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2400 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

chalks wrote:I genuinely think Wales, Nortern Ireland and Eire (if they qualify) will do better than the English at the Finals

No chance. Northern Ireland are a very limited team who have over-achieved in a poor group. Republic a bit better but still not much kop. Wales might get out of the group stage, but last night showed they are a tad over rated heavily reliant on three players

England will do well next summer. Quarter finals at least
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2400 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Puff Daddy wrote:From what I have seen of the qualifiers and it is quite a lot, there doesn't appear one stand out team for the finals. I expected Germany to push on after their World Cup winning success, but they looked awful against the Irish the other night and have limped through the qualifiers, the Dutch, always strong in tournament football, look like missing out altogether, Spain have looked OK at times, as have Italy and Belgium have a team of individuals, but not a team, but in that list, is one of the finalists, if not both. Personally, I wouldn't rule out France, who will have home advantage and so I have told, look extremely impressive. They certainly have the players to win the thing. As for the home nations, personally, I think all of them have two hopes. No hope and Bob Hope
It is a very wide open tournament that is for sure. Probably up to one of 8 teams could realistically fancy their chances, and the Euros often have shock winners coming from nowhere. Should be a cracking tournament

If England don't win, i would like to see Belgium or Portugal come out on top
whitechapel hammer

Post by whitechapel hammer »

Northern Ireland's achievement is far greater yet they are getting less coverage than Wales.

Wales have Ramsey, Bale and Ashley WIlliams, 3 very good players and a smattering of others from the Premier League and probably would have considered it a disappointment had they not got through. Northern Ireland have virtually no 'good' players and for them to qualify is amazing. A brillaint achievement by both but particularly for Northern Ireland.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Don't score enough goals, only 9 in 9 qualifying matches. Although this will change on Tuesday night, there will be no Andorra's, or other whipping boys when it matters most, so this will be their undoing at the real thing
e17
Has liked: 284 likes
Total likes: 956 likes

Post by e17 »

Great to see Wales & Northern Ireland qualify, & we (England) deserve far more credit than we've got for that 27 points undefeated tally .. Alas I suspect Poland will win tonight & heartbreak for Eire

What's happened to the Netherlands?!? Can't believe where they sit in that group..
e17
Has liked: 284 likes
Total likes: 956 likes

Post by e17 »

West Ham relegated & England doing worse than Northern Ireland at the Euros...

You ain't half a pessimist mate!
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 769 likes

Post by Billydinho »

They should do better than us.

They're ranked higher.
Kermit
Has liked: 97 likes
Total likes: 341 likes

Post by Kermit »

e17 wrote:Great to see Wales & Northern Ireland qualify, & we (England) deserve far more credit than we've got for that 27 points undefeated tally .. Alas I suspect Poland will win tonight & heartbreak for Eire

What's happened to the Netherlands?!? Can't believe where they sit in that group..
I can see why people are happy to see Wales in the finals as they have some decent players who deserve their chance to represent their country in a major tournament.

But Northern Ireland? FFS. Qualified from a piss poor group and, by all accounts they show all the subtle qualities of an average Conference side.