Wales

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 322 likes

Re: Wales

Post by Het-Field »

Kermit wrote:
I can see why people are happy to see Wales in the finals as they have some decent players who deserve their chance to represent their country in a major tournament.

But Northern Ireland? FFS. Qualified from a piss poor group and, by all accounts they show all the subtle qualities of an average Conference side.
I wouldn't exactly share the view. However, I believe that a tough finals group would bring NI down to earth with a bump. I think they have a decent spine, but in 2012 the ROI had a decent spine in Given, Dunne, O'Shea, Duff, and Keane and were blown away. The squad will also have a fairly decent spread throughout the divisions, and it will be hard to see any other team in the Tournament having as many players who are as close to non-league football, as they are to Premier League football. Going to Romania, Hungary, and Greece, and qualifying is no mean feat, and not to be sneezed at.

Wales have a good side generally. Hennessy, Davies, Williams, Allen, Bale, Ramsey, Ledley, even Ginge will make Wales a difficult proposition for most teams. However, I would have actually seen their group of similar ease to Northern Ireland's, with Belgium being the only real opposition, which they would have needed to fear. Israel, Cyprus, and Bosnia wouldn't be easy, but then none are World Beaters, and over the course of 14 months, id have backed Wales, with their current squad to qualify.

Although I'm slightly biased, I actually feel if the ROI get there, the achievement will be as good as any others. If we do get their tonight, we will have vaulted Germany, Poland, and Scotland, and navigated a tough trip to Georgia. And we'll have done so, with an on-paper fairly average group of players. Suffice it to say, we have no Bale or Ramsey in our team.
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 119 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

If the Republic of Ireland qualifies as well, all four countries' chances really depend on the seeding of the groups. Northern Ireland and the Republic will need a favourable group and England and Wales should be OK as long as neither finds itself in the proverbial 'group of death.'

That said, it's all irrelevant really. Germany will wake up and thrash everyone and I'd expect the usual suspects i.e. Spain, Holland, Italy and France to be up the pointy end too.

England will probably comfortably get through the group stage and then get stuffed 4-0 by Iceland and have Rooney sent off.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Clucking Bell wrote:If the Republic of Ireland qualifies as well, all four countries' chances really depend on the seeding of the groups. Northern Ireland and the Republic will need a favourable group and England and Wales should be OK as long as neither finds itself in the proverbial 'group of death.'

That said, it's all irrelevant really. Germany will wake up and thrash everyone and I'd expect the usual suspects i.e. Spain, Holland, Italy and France to be up the pointy end too.

England will probably comfortably get through the group stage and then get stuffed 4-0 by Iceland and have Rooney sent off.
If Netherlands qualify they will no doubt do well. Trouble is they are unlikely to qualify. Even in this extended and easier qualifying process they look like the will not even make the play-offs, unless Iceland do them a massive favour
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

I must admit I nearly put my mug up the wall when it went to 2-0 as we should have put them to bed before they scored their first but I'm over the moon that we're through, first time in my lifetime, my dad was 2 when they got through by default in '58 and he's sadly not with us now and although he was a rugby man he always wanted to see us do well, I hope we go to France and show the world what we're about, both on and off the field :)

One thing though, if we had a striker, just one striker who can play a bit, we'd be absolutely f*cking lethal!!!!
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2641 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

whitechapel hammer wrote:Northern Ireland's achievement is far greater yet they are getting less coverage than Wales.

Wales have Ramsey, Bale and Ashley WIlliams, 3 very good players and a smattering of others from the Premier League and probably would have considered it a disappointment had they not got through. Northern Ireland have virtually no 'good' players and for them to qualify is amazing. A brillaint achievement by both but particularly for Northern Ireland.
The coverage is simply because of our failure to qualify for a Major Tournament since 1958 when I was 2 .
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

And also because Wales and Scotland are part of the land mass Great Britain whereas Northern Ireland isn't. I would say that the links between England, Wales and Scotland are much stronger than with Northern Ireland. Therefore Wales (and Scotland) will always get much more coverage than N.I this side of the Irish sea

Plus , Wales have some famous players that the media and public can identify with (Bale, Ramsey). Northern Ireland don't really have anyone the casual football fan would likely have heard of
Hammer32

Post by Hammer32 »

I see there is a 24 alcohol ban leading up to the England Wales match