Hodgson: let's see if his no Hammers policy is vindicated.

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304

Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 49 likes

Re: Hodgson: let's see if his no Hammers policy is vindicated.

Post by Rocketron »

pharaoh wrote:Moore would have got in but he would have put in Greaves. Peters probably not made the squad.
I beg to differ.
Ramsey was one of Peters' biggest fans, "10 years ahead of his time" was the famous quote.
Greaves did start the tournament, Hurst was brought in when Greaves was injured and Ramsey decided to keep him when Greaves regained fitness.
bobcar

Post by bobcar »

WCpete wrote:Nope. Arnason says rubbish.

https://twitter.com/karibestmeister/sta ... 8664091648
Yes it was obviously fake even without the Arnason statement.
WCpete
Has liked: 1396 likes
Total likes: 3055 likes

Post by WCpete »

So you don't think there would be people who take that statement and absolutely run with it?
The_Dead_Ball
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 68 likes

Post by The_Dead_Ball »

bobcar

Post by bobcar »

WCpete wrote:So you don't think there would be people who take that statement and absolutely run with it?
Sorry I'm not sure what point you're making. The original quote was clearly fake, there is no way in a million years that Kane wouldn't realise we were out if we lost.
pharaoh
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by pharaoh »

Rocketron wrote: I beg to differ.
Ramsey was one of Peters' biggest fans, "10 years ahead of his time" was the famous quote.
Greaves did start the tournament, Hurst was brought in when Greaves was injured and Ramsey decided to keep him when Greaves regained fitness.
Sorry but I was talking of the modern day with Hodgson in charge. What you say is correct.
Iron Mark
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by Iron Mark »

If someone asks what the strengths of the England team are, can anybody think of anything?

Between the way Hodgson set up and the how the players performed, I struggle to think of anything.
pharaoh
Total likes: 1 like

Post by pharaoh »

Iron Mark wrote:If someone asks what the strengths of the England team are, can anybody think of anything?

Between the way Hodgson set up and the how the players performed, I struggle to think of anything.
They are pretty good at losing and playing players out of position.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2406 likes
Total likes: 2614 likes

Post by sendô »

Passing sideways along the halfway line has always been a strength of ours.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1975 likes
Total likes: 1464 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Iron Mark wrote:If someone asks what the strengths of the England team are, can anybody think of anything?
They're all stinking rich without conscience or any idea of the real world.
ludo22
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 125 likes

Post by ludo22 »

pharaoh wrote:Moore would have got in but he would have put in Greaves. Peters probably not made the squad.
Jack Charlton said that Ramsey told him that he wasn't the best centre-half available for England but he was the most suited for the system Alf wanted to play.This was 50 years ago and what we subsequently learned was that this was exactly the correct way to manage the national team.Yet yesterday we witnessed a manager trying to shoehorn multiple players into unfamiliar positions or playing unfit because they play for "top" teams.A manager on 4 million quid a year who completely ignored and disregarded anything our only successful national manager knew to be the right thing.
goof

Post by goof »

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CmELgWKUkAAkuW6.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1294 likes
Total likes: 676 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Delighted that none of our players weren't associated with that bunch of ponderous, flat, bang average, no hopers.

England - if you ever want to have even a glimpse of winning something again - you know where we are :scarfer:
Iron-on-transfer
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 260 likes

Post by Iron-on-transfer »

WCpete wrote:Nope. Arnason says rubbish.

https://twitter.com/karibestmeister/sta ... 8664091648
Ahh...thanks for that man...I'm not on twitter so hadn't seen that. Thought it was somewhat strange yet I still stand by my observations - Joe Hart - you DO need to seriously look at yourself (or even better, retire from international football altogether)...and yeah, Kane - the light's on but nobody's in. :lol:
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2406 likes
Total likes: 2614 likes

Post by sendô »

Yep, the one saving grace here is no west ham players were tainted by that utter disaster.
Sloffy

Post by Sloffy »

Another player I would've took - not one of ours - is Ryan Shawcross.

Say what you like about him, but neither of those goals last night would've got past him.

I hate Hodgson. Really do.

Anyway what a difference 50 years makes. 1966 West Ham win the World Cup. 2016 Tottenham lose to f###ing Iceland :lol:
Lee_WHU

Post by Lee_WHU »

The_Dead_Ball wrote:The True Geordie Verdict

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3l_fTl4C0o
I was just about to post this, was sure nobody would have! Love this dude, cheered me up no end listening to him lay into Roy and co.
Iron-on-transfer
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 260 likes

Post by Iron-on-transfer »

Sloffy wrote:Another player I would've took - not one of ours - is Ryan Shawcross.
Say what you like about him, but neither of those goals last night would've got past him.
I hate Hodgson. Really do.
Anyway what a difference 50 years makes. 1966 West Ham win the World Cup. 2016 Tottenham lose to f###ing Iceland
Agree. I know Shawcross is liable to give away stupid fouls but so are Cahill and Smalling and they're nowhere near as organised and commanding as Shawcross is. He'd sure as hell organise and tell other players what to do and where to be. We desperately need a natural leader on the pitch and preferably in defence and not halfway up the pitch. Someone vocal and with good spacial awareness. Dare I say it....someone like a John Terry? :hush:

As I've said previously, pick a team not just from the big clubs. Players not even necessarily super talented but just good honest hardworking types and get the team spirit and ethics right. A Wimbledon or Ipswich from yesteryear wouldn't have lost to Iceland.
bobcar

Post by bobcar »

Sloffy wrote:Another player I would've took - not one of ours - is Ryan Shawcross.

I'm not against Shawcross being in the squad but he couldn't have stopped the first goal. There was a general lack of organisation but the big single factor was Walker not marking his man properly, if he does his job then he keeps goal side of the Iceland player and he can't score unless he does something brilliant, instead Walker let him run through and score. How difficult is it to to do a basic thing like mark someone rather than ball watch?
Eggs'n'nuts
Has liked: 151 likes
Total likes: 332 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

The_Dead_Ball wrote:The True Geordie Verdict

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3l_fTl4C0o
Hits every nail on the head, driving them clean into the coffins of The FA, Roy and the whole squad!