Hodgson: let's see if his no Hammers policy is vindicated.

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Has liked: 53 likes
Total likes: 53 likes

Re: Hodgson: let's see if his no Hammers policy is vindicated.

Post by 1966 »

Not acknowledging the fans, leaving his players out on the pitch and reading a prepared exit statement which praised him and his players without a word of apology for that performance was a lesson in how not to manage people. As for tactics. Gather the favourites from the PL big teams and hope they'll win for you.

Most England players are mediocre at club level but when surrounded by international talent and under usually a decent foreign manager they do OK. Put those mediocre players together under a mediocre manager and see what you get.
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

I couldn't believe how bad Kane was the entire tournament. Did he have a shot on target?
The guy looked physically and mentally shot to bits.

The only player to come out of that tournament with any credit for me was Walker and to a lesser extent Rooney although he had a shocker last night

Not one leader out there tonight.
nickkarkie
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 166 likes

Post by nickkarkie »

That England team was crying out for Antonio on the right and Carroll up front, sad but true.
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E
Has liked: 254 likes
Total likes: 276 likes

Post by White Goodman »

nickkarkie wrote:That England team was crying out for Antonio on the right and Carroll up front, sad but true.
At least Carroll would have given them something to think about whilst they watched Kane's crosses fly ten yards over their heads
Last edited by White Goodman on Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
bobcar

Post by bobcar »

smuts wrote: The only player to come out of that tournament with any credit for me was Walker and to a lesser extent Rooney although he had a shocker last night
All the players were crap last night but if you want to take a single reason for the loss then Walker's appalling defending for the first goal was it, without that we may well have won as the total confidence meltdown may not have occurred. Of course there is no excuse for the meltdown and winning would have been covering up the cracks.
bobcar

Post by bobcar »

White Goodman wrote: At least Carroll would have given them something to think about whilst they watched Kane's crosses fly ten yards or their heads
I don't think any other team there would have left someone like Carroll behind even those "better at football" would have had him in the squad as backup. Spain last night ended up putting balls into the box and they nearly equalised from it.
nickkarkie
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 166 likes

Post by nickkarkie »

True WG, that Kane cross that was over hit by 30 yards was truly embarrassing, the most embarrassing moment of the match for me however was when 3 England players in a row let the ball run under their foot, they were panicking so much that they couldn't even control a ball along the floor.

The biggest problems for me last night were:

-Too many players taking too long on the ball thus allowing Iceland to get back into their shape, Sturridge and Rooney the biggest culprits, sturridge is so selfish that he won't look up to see the early pass, Rooney just ponders on the ball like he doesn't know what he wants to do, he has played that way since he was 21, I honestly feel he has only ever been a good player between the age of 17 and 21.

-Gary Cahill has been shot for the last 12 months, I was shocked that was starting

-Clyne played really well against Slovakia and was then dropped, Clyne has a lot more end product and is better defensively.

-Playing right footer on the left wing and left footer on the right wing, this only works if the players have intelligence like Payet.

-Lack of movement, every time an England midfield got the ball there were 6 players in front of him literally standing where they were, they didn't even try to move.

-Alli has been fantastic all season until he got a few injuries for Spurs with about 7 games to go in the season, since then he just hasn't been the same at all, he was far more energetic and would press people, always got to the ball first, would drive into the box and his finishing was superb,he has been a shadow of that player
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

ChzMff wrote:James P with Crouchend odds on favourite to be new managerial double act using Ladbrokes.

TBF i have always been clear that i thought Hodgson was a poor manager, and i don't like him, and should have been sacked after World Cup
However, i was prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt, because with a couple of exceptions (Antonio being the main one, and no other winger, and Wilshire) I don't think he made any significant rickets with his squad selection, because like James P i don't think you should just call up who ever happens to be in form for six week or so. I would say that the vast majority of the country would have selected 20 of the 23 he took.

However, he proved himself to be completely and utterly inept when it came to the crunch with some very odd decision making across the four games and basic tactics

The players not covered themselves in any glory either, but English players have always struggled to match club performances on the national stage. Name one English player, with the exception of Platt, who actually performed better for England than club? I have no idea why this is though

Do i think any West Ham players would have made a difference? Antonio yes, but that is probably it. I expect we will get a chance to find out from August onwards as new manager likely to call up a lot of 'new' players

This was definitely the low point of last 30 years or so as although we have never really done any good, we normally don't lose to teams significantly worse than us, or we go out unluckily on penalties etc etc. This is definitely down to the manager

However, until the domestic league stops dominating everything about football in this country, and the wages and TV deals continue to sky rocket we will not get anywhere.

We need players to move abroad to develop their game and take them out of the self-centred comfort zone they live in, but why would they when only about 10 clubs in Europe pay more than the top championship teams.

Why on earth is Reece Oxford going to get paid 20k a week at the age of 17?? what incentive is there to improve when you are earning a 1m a year? Shift him on loan to the French league for a season on about 3k a week. That will be much more useful for English football in the long-run, but it obviously won't happen
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

In hindsight I would have taken Carroll.
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

Despise Hodgson. Out of his depth, uninspiring and unimaginative choice of England manager from the start

So many of this squad could benefit from playing abroad. If clubs abroad wanted them is a different matter however.
bobbymooresbracelet

Post by bobbymooresbracelet »

No doubt there will be a few mugs waiting for their arrival back at the airport,autographs etc

Want ****ing shooting the lot of them.
bobbymooresbracelet

Post by bobbymooresbracelet »

By the way the useless **** should have been sacked after the World cup shambles.
happydaystoytown
Has liked: 27 likes
Total likes: 99 likes

Post by happydaystoytown »

I think the phrase is 'systemic failure', it's rotten from top to bottom.

From the same suits that run the English game, as the ones that wrecked the British manufacturing industry in the last 70 years, with their head in the sand, non progressive attitude, unwillingness to change or learn and an unfounded sense of superiority, down to the misguided, deluded, overhyped, over rewarded, underachieving young players coming through the ranks.

Watch Reece Oxford in 4, 6, 8 years time, crying into the turf, with his mates after yet another humbling at a major tournament, before travelling first class back his club.
Comforted by his multi million £ contract and the fact that his failure will soon be forgotten, as he's just the latest in a proud history of failure.

It's depressing but really, why should we care.
mboogers
Has liked: 2 likes

Post by mboogers »

I'm glad none of our players have been anywhere near that shambles of a team managed by a disgrace of a manager. We will have fresh, relaxed and hungry English players getting ready for pre-season as opposed to the exhausted and humiliated rabble that played in this tournament. With a new man in charge of the England team there is every chance that these lads should have a fair crack at breaking into the squad. Good riddance to Hodgson. Complete disgrace stealing a living way out of his depth.
simon hammer
Has liked: 961 likes
Total likes: 738 likes

Post by simon hammer »

It's all ok now though as the F.A are going to hold an inquiry into what went wrong.

Pheeeewwwww...and there I was worrying!
Wembley1966
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 124 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

Belgian commentator on Roy Hodgson:
"He is watching the game like a cow watching a train pass by - he has no idea what is happening!"
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

People saying Southgate should be next :lol:
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

West Ham players will now be called up because of this failure, always happens with a new manager. Likes of Noble and Antonio will get a chance in the Autumn.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2635 likes

Post by sendô »

carnage wrote:In hindsight I would have taken Carroll.
With foresight I would have taken Carroll.

It didn't take a genius for foresee a situation whereby a team would defend deep, pack the box and make it difficult for us to score.

Andy Carroll in the middle with balls being pinged in left and right would at least have upset the apple cart and provided a few knock downs.
bobcar

Post by bobcar »

sendô wrote: With foresight I would have taken Carroll.

It didn't take a genius for foresee a situation whereby a team would defend deep, pack the box and make it difficult for us to score.

Andy Carroll in the middle with balls being pinged in left and right would at least have upset the apple cart and provided a few knock downs.
Yes I said the same before the squad was announced. Hodgson even had a preview at the WC when we needed Carroll but he learnt nothing from that.