Hodgson: let's see if his no Hammers policy is vindicated.

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Re: Lallana, Mason, Shelvey, Dier, Wilshere, Drinkwater,

Post by fmgod »

wigwig wrote:Henderson must be the most over rated played in the country surely. He has been consistently unimpressive for England. It actually hurts me watching him play for England.
He's a water carrier, he works hard, that's about as far as he goes to me, no real class or quality.
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

Ozza wrote:The best manager we've had since sir Bob (in my view), was Venebals and he picked players in form to play a position rather than the rest who pick players from big clubs and squeeze them into a position they don't play at club level.
The Euro 96 squad was stuffed full of players from the top six. In no way was it a "form" squad. The difference was that back then, the top six teams were full of Englishmen so you could pick a squad from the top six and still leave a load of top six players out if they didn't fit. Nowadays there's far fewer Englishmen involved at the top of the table.
frankiemac

Post by frankiemac »

chigwells finest wrote:cahills head is still spinning from trying to catch lukaku last sunday
amen...schoolboy stuff seeing him turn his back when lukaku was running at him...
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 119 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

Georgee Paris wrote:Has anyone actually done a team based on the 11 actual best 'on form' players yet?
http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... istical-xi
trick88 wrote:Not sure about that defence though :D
Don't think you can argue much about the front six though and Butland, Hart and Forster are all excellent keepers.
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

Hodgson has been in attendance for plenty of our games over the years. Mind boggling to me, but clearly he doesn't see any of our players as improvements to what he has currently

He isn't going to change the set up or call up new players so close to the Euros. I always thought you would want form players for tournaments.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

All six of those are still ahead of Noble in Hodgson's eyes and when you throw Milner, Ali, Barkley, Delph, Carrick, Barry, Cleverly and Colback into the mix I don't see how our captain will ever get a call up, not because he's not good enough, but because I believe Hodgson has something against him, I really do. When you look at stats, performances, games that Hodgson has seen him play and so on it just doesn't make any sense for him to not even get a call up. There are youth players at Liverpool, Man United and Chelsea that are probably closer to a cap than Noble, it's insane.
James P

Post by James P »

Jumpy, how do you know players like Mason and Shelvey are ahead of Noble in Hodgson's eyes?
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

James P wrote:Jumpy, how do you know players like Mason and Shelvey are ahead of Noble in Hodgson's eyes?
Given that he's picked an injured Mason and out of form Shelvey over Noble in the past the fact that they're both playing most weeks now suggests to me that they are ahead of our man, as stupid as it is that is how it's gone under Hodgson, I very much doubt he'll change his mind now, and as we saw on MOTD, if there is room for a new call up Danny Drinkwater is almost 100% ahead of Noble in his eyes, he pretty much said it when Shearer put him on the spot.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

So given he once picked Mason, that means he is ahead of Noble now in Hodgson ' s eyes?
James P

Post by James P »

Jumby wrote:Given that he's picked an injured Mason and out of form Shelvey over Noble in the past the fact that they're both playing most weeks now suggests to me that they are ahead of our man, as stupid as it is that is how it's gone under Hodgson, I very much doubt he'll change his mind now, and as we saw on MOTD, if there is room for a new call up Danny Drinkwater is almost 100% ahead of Noble in his eyes, he pretty much said it when Shearer put him on the spot.
I think you're probably right about Drinkwater.

I think the supposition on everyone else is absolute nonsense. I imagine Noble's stock has risen massively in the last season. It might still not get him into the squad but just throwing dozens of names out there and saying they're ahead of Noble with no basis whatsoever just looks paranoid.
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

They're all players that have been capped by Hodgson pal, all players that he's picked ahead of Noble and players that are all still playing in the top flight now and being watched by Hodgson. It's not paranoia, it's a fact that they've been picked ahead of Noble and despite our man's performances going up a notch or two this season I don't think it will be enough. Hodgson watched Noble shine in games against Liverpool and Man City last season and didn't call him up, Noble bossed Gerrard and outshone Man City's midfield yet there was no call up.

Don't go calling people paranoid for pointing out facts, that's just stupid and not something this forum needs.
James P

Post by James P »

It is not a fact that all six are STILL ahead of Noble in Hodgson's eyes. It's your guesswork and it suits your agenda against the England manager.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Without wanting to get into another repetitive debate regarding Nobles exclusion as even I think it's done to death, for what it's worth, I couldn't agree more with everything you said, Jumby.
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

Drinkwater was dogshit the other night. Gave it away almost every time he got the ball.
James P

Post by James P »

wizzo_66 wrote:Drinkwater was dogshit the other night. Gave it away almost every time he got the ball.
Played the most passes for Leicester with 84.6% accuracy :eh:
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

wizzo_66 wrote:Drinkwater was dogshit the other night. Gave it away almost every time he got the ball.
I didn't see any of that game other than the goal but I must say that it does seem a little strange for Hodgson to be looking at a midfielder that plays for a team that seems happy to not have much of the ball, I rate Drinkwater but I certainly don't think he offers anything more than Noble in the middle of the park.
Crouchend_Hammer

Got sky man of the match as well. Tbf he will definitely be in the next squad. Question is will Noble be called up as well?
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

Played the most passes for Leicester with 84.6% accuracy.

^ always interesting when you read a stat that totally contradicts the impression you get from watching a game.

He gave it away in key areas quite a bit.
Crouchend_Hammer

Jumby wrote:
I didn't see any of that game other than the goal but I must say that it does seem a little strange for Hodgson to be looking at a midfielder that plays for a team that seems happy to not have much of the ball, I rate Drinkwater but I certainly don't think he offers anything more than Noble in the middle of the park.

Leicester season possession 43.7%, West ham 45.3%

I expect drinkwater will get called up because he is a purely DM who will sit in front of the back four. A bit like a eric dier
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:
I expect drinkwater will get called up because he is a purely DM who will sit in front of the back four. A bit like a eric dier

No he's not. He's often been found all over the park playing for Leicester in much the same vein as Noble has covered much of the park this season. He may on occasions start off in that position but he certainly hasn't been restricted to just hat role and has been given licence to get forward, again like Noble.

I'm a big fan of both and want to see them both given a fair chance.