Hodgson: let's see if his no Hammers policy is vindicated.

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Iron-on-transfer
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 262 likes

Re: Hodgson: let's see if his no Hammers policy is vindicated.

Post by Iron-on-transfer »

BonzosBoots wrote:No one to blame for this but Roy.

Did not pick players in form, misplaced loyalties, no width, no plan b, picked players that were all too similar.

Tactical nouse of a rat.

Goodbye, don't let the door hit your arse on the way out.
Absolutely spot on...but maybe that should read "tactical nouce of an owl"? :wink: I said before kick off to my son that if we did bugger it up today, then at least look on the bright side...the old granny would finally get the boot.

When Woy got given the job one of the first things he said was that he wouldn't pick anyone on past reputations, but only on current fitness and form...and then proceeded to do exactly the opposite. That was the beginning of the end right there because NOTHING changed AT ALL in terms of how player selections were made and decades have told us that just picking players from the 'big teams' does not work...so here we are yet again having gone out of a tournament with an embarrasing whimper.

If you pick a team predominantly made up of Spuds...then you're gonna get mashed. Now that he's jumped off his sacrificial perch, does that mean that he'll finally have to give his Spuds season ticket back I wonder?

Iceland sussed us out big time. It wasn't quite 11 men behind the ball for 90 minutes was it Woy?...and you didn't have a scooby what to do when it wasn't what you expected...although you'd given them a good heads up days ago regarding how you thought they'd play...so their manager quite rightly said 'F**k it, we'll do something different then....and he won't know what the hell to do about it".

Rank bad management...or in Woy's words...W**k bad management. Good widdance to ya.
bobbymooresbracelet

Post by bobbymooresbracelet »

Yes ,so much for Spurs won us the Euro's.

Planks.
rsnwhu
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by rsnwhu »

Winner
https://www.google.co.jp/search?q=nobby ... 73&bih=675" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"

Loser
https://www.google.co.jp/search?q=nobby ... Ylv8jCM%3A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
M*A*R*C

Post by M*A*R*C »

bobbymooresbracelet wrote:
Seems like a trait for this country these days, a la remain voters.
You have to bring politics into this?

Right, I didn't cry when Remain lost, but I was angry that you stay at home Little Englanders didn't let me vote, although you happily take my tax money.

I did cry when a Brexiteer murdered a Member of Parliament who was also mother to two young children.

OK?
bobbymooresbracelet

Post by bobbymooresbracelet »

What the **** is a stay at home little Englander?
rsnwhu
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by rsnwhu »

Agreed. Stay at home little Englander is a racist comment and should have no place here and should be taken back by the poster - bad darts :thdn:
kalashnikov

Post by kalashnikov »

Has anyone noticed how often Joe Hart gets beaten low down to his left?

Unbelievable for a supposed world class keeper. Can't see Pep standing for it for long tbh. Man City will be after Butland by next season.
e17
Has liked: 284 likes
Total likes: 956 likes

Post by e17 »

What was funny about last night was how much of a "slagging off embargo" appeared to have been lifted as soon as Hodgson had jacked it in

Shearer was ranting more or less the very stuff hundreds have said here - about picking Wilshere & Henderson & the likes over form players like Noble & Drinkwater, about only taking 1 winger in Sterling & then trying to shoehorn strikers into that role who have spent all season central for their club, about taking the bare bones number of defenders, about there being no flexibility beyond 2 formations, about it basically being clear Hodgson would keep persevering with Kane taking set pieces even after it hadn't worked 30 or so times...

Wrighty did the same on ITV

It was like they'd been told to wait before ranting. Very odd
e17
Has liked: 284 likes
Total likes: 956 likes

Post by e17 »

& personally, the idea of the job going to Gareth Southgate next fills me with dread

It's like saying the FA will be doing the job themselves

It needs an outsider to come in & push people about

Dare I say a Mourinho style b*stard
wolf359
Has liked: 1588 likes
Total likes: 1735 likes

Post by wolf359 »

e17 wrote:What was funny about last night was how much of a "slagging off embargo" appeared to have been lifted as soon as Hodgson had jacked it in
Lee Dixon was visibly livid at half time, said pretty much what we were all saying on here.
61dicksey
Has liked: 580 likes
Total likes: 424 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

kalashnikov wrote:Has anyone noticed how often Joe Hart gets beaten low down to his left?

Unbelievable for a supposed world class keeper. Can't see Pep standing for it for long tbh. Man City will be after Butland by next season.
Well Dimi will know where to put it next season if Hart is Man city keeper
Jabsco79
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 21 likes

Post by Jabsco79 »

Was all so predictable...

1. Walk through a qualifying group mostly akin to the level of League One
2. Deluded media foam at the mouth at our exciting prospects and we should fear no one
3. Leave out form players from the squad ahead of manager favourites, injury prones and dullards
4. Start tinkering with system in warm-up games, now media say 'manager doesn't know his best team'
5. Get through the initial group relatively unscathed but not setting the world on fire
6. Breathe sigh of relief that we get the easier knockout game
7. Go out with a whimper
8. Told that multi-millionaires ' do genuinely care' about playing for England above money
9. Manager leaves, replaced by next in line uninspiring FA blazer wearing yes man
10. Repeat cycle for next major tournament
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 367 likes
Total likes: 811 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

I really can't fathom what has happen to his brain. In qualifying we looked ok, generally a passing side with a shape and setup everyone seemed to understand. The Swiss are not rubbish, and we comfortably beat them twice.

I thought we were ok against Russia, but that last min goal just seemed to fry Hodgsons brain, and from then he has mentally fallen to pieces. For someone with all his experience he has just over thought himself in a circle. He ended up just making it up as he went along.

As I said on the other thread, I just cannot understand, after his poor performance against Slovakia, why he would bring on Wiltshire to save the game. just illogical and confusing. Utter muddled panic in his brain.

we were not passing the ball or creating, yet he just kept putting on strikers. That's Sunday league tactics at best, not a vastly experienced manager ringing changes and staying calm. Why the hell did he take Ross Barclay?

I apologise for backing him, I never thought he could do this. Truly the worst managerial performance I have ever seen. Although many players had a shocker you need to believe in your gaffer, and he smashed their brains in.

Really depressed this morning after that.
James P
Has liked: 27 likes
Total likes: 169 likes

Post by James P »

I'm more than happy to eat humble pie. I've been vociferous in my support of Hodgson and I feel massively let down.

I pretty much always defend every England manager partly because I long for the "glory" days when the country united behind the three lions. I'm resigned now to the fact that that probably won't happen again for a good long time.

I stand by my fundamental belief that class trumps form and to have any chance of competing with the likes of Germany, Italy, Brazil etc you need your top class players playing on the top of their game. But it's becoming draining beyond despair seeing guys who tear it up in the Premier League for other clubs turn into utter donkeys when they put on the three lions.

I'll never understand bringing on Wilshere last night.

Onto the next guy.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Morocco Mole wrote:99.9% of people on this website wanted this mushroom to get the job because they were so mouth-frothingly anti-Redknapp.....well you got you wanted: The worst England manager in living memory.

Guilty :fsake:
hammers92
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1778 likes

Post by hammers92 »

I did defend Roy and England throughout so it's only right that I say that this is all on him. What a disgusting result and an embrassing night for English football.

But looking towards the positives (I'll try to) I think Roy's time will be seen as more positive in maybe 10 years. He's moved away from playing the standard 4-4-2 every single game and brought down the average age in 2012 to the youngest in the tournament. Fresh, exciting players that all clearly have a big future.

An awful, awful, night but Roy has put England on a different path to the egos and players running the team that was before and left a decent platform for the new guy.

Will honestly shoot myself if it's Southgate though
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 947 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Even if Roy had taken 3 of our lads none of them would have got on the pitch .. Ross Barkley is a prime example of talent not used. Very good player. Could have done more than sterling but not even given a minute of game time. If we had cresswell, noble, Antonio and even Carroll their I would only have seen Andy coming on as a last resort
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

A few big mistakes in that tournament that all came home to roost in that last game.

Calling up Wilshere,
Rooney in midfield,
Only one winger, an out of form one at that,
Not taking a selection of form players who could've carried that form into this tournament,
Taking 5 strikers for one position.
Sorry to mention it again, but his love for Wilshere clouding his judgement on squad selection and substitutions.

He'd lost the plot, sad to see for a man who was highly regarded in management. Wouldn't be surprised if he retired from management now.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 305 likes
Total likes: 801 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

It's been said before with Rooney that he's a good player but he's not world class. He needs world class players around him to bring his game up.

That's the entire England squad. Good players but only when surrounded with better ones who don't happen to be English.

That said as last night proved, you don't even need great player to win football matches.
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E
Has liked: 254 likes
Total likes: 276 likes

Post by White Goodman »

RichieRiv wrote:It's been said before with Rooney that he's a good player but he's not world class. He needs world class players around him to bring his game up.

That's the entire England squad. Good players but only when surrounded with better ones who don't happen to be English.

That said as last night proved, you don't even need great player to win football matches.
Totally agree and the only way to start winning that way is to accept firstthat, as a team , we are not up there with the big nations and that Rooney etc can't be mentioned in the same breath as the big names in world football

Once we do that , we might have a better chance of developing as a unit, like the ,,Icelanders or dare I say it, the Welsh.

Problem with all of that is that our media and certain big club fans will continue to shower Rooney et al with terms like 'world class' and give them contracts that make them think they are .

Harry Kane for example should be banned from ever playing for England again but bet he gets close to 100 caps before he's finished.

It's a disgrace how many times a supposed top professional couldn't land the ball within 20 yards of where he meant to put it. That last one where he just booted it into touch was just ridiculous