Hodgson: let's see if his no Hammers policy is vindicated.

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Re: Hodgson: let's see if his no Hammers policy is vindicated.

Post by Beavis Danzig »

the corpse of hodgson's england should be hung up at the town gates with a sign round its neck. an england that represented the very apex of big club superstar syndrome. 23 boys who look great on a fifa box but don't have an ounce of grit or leadership between them.

all decorations and no tree is right. it'll be one in the eye for the sponsors but the next manager must be allowed to build a team from all corners of english football. not an all star squad, a team.

if anything, this has proven that those who constantly talk about "international class" are arris talking numpties. there's no such thing as international class, just being the right player playing the right role to excel in a manager's setup.

heartbroken to see my national team demolished, but ecstatic that everything i despise about the modern england team selection has been properly shown up.
bobcar

Post by bobcar »

Beavis Danzig wrote: if anything, this has proven that those who constantly talk about "international class" are arris talking numpties. there's no such thing as international class, just being the right player playing the right role to excel in a manager's setup.
This. The one thing that seemed obvious about Hodgson's squad from the moment that he announced it was that he had picked what he thought were the best players irrespective of the best team. Very few of the winning teams are made up of "international class" players most of them are players who can do a decent job in their position.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

You only need to look at Italy at this tournament - player for player a shadow of some of their teams of the past, but thus far have beaten Belgium and Spain and are in the QF by having a good manager and playing to a system that gets the best out of the team.
Harry Hound
Location: "If you don't know the game, then you're still part of it"
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Harry Hound »

sendô wrote:carnage"]In hindsight I would have taken Carroll.
With foresight I would have taken Carroll.

It didn't take a genius for foresee a situation whereby a team would defend deep, pack the box and make it difficult for us to score.

Andy Carroll in the middle with balls being pinged in left and right would at least have upset the apple cart and provided a few knock downs.
Exactly how can the Manager of England not know or understand this, he's even had "Super Slav" on the telly telling anyone who wants to hear that AC is the best in the world at what he does.
Beavis Danzig

Post by Beavis Danzig »

live conference: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/36413782" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Beavis Danzig

Post by Beavis Danzig »

FA noisebox all airs and graces for hodgson. talk of iceland as a banana skin. embarrassing.
Beavis Danzig

Post by Beavis Danzig »

hodgson "i don't really know what i'm doing here". literally his first words.
Beavis Danzig

Post by Beavis Danzig »

absolute pointless powder puff conference. orchestrated damage control.
XIRONSX

Post by XIRONSX »

"I don't know what I'm doing here because I thought my statement last night was sufficient,"

Is this **** serious?!?!
miles
This site...
Has liked: 303 likes
Total likes: 383 likes

Post by miles »

The moment he compared Noble to Grant Holt you knew it was the end really. Those who know.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

f*** me you couldn't make this **** up.

This is like a circus.

I'm embarrassed.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

XIRONSX wrote:"I don't know what I'm doing here because I thought my statement last night was sufficient,"

Is this **** serious?!?!
Unfortunately it sums up the bubble in which English players and managers live in where they feel they don't need to justify their actions to thousands that follow them around the world and the millions watching at home.

I think its called contempt.

As for Peter Crouch saying "players do care".

Really Peter?

Do they care as much as the bloke that spent thousands of pounds getting to France to watch that garbage, whilst they skulk off to Las Vegas on their holidays after having their summer "interrupted" by this pesky tournament, then returning to the comforts of club life picking up their £250k a week?
hammer the hamster

Post by hammer the hamster »

On another note:

Billy Smart's circus's clown sadly passed away today. The late Billy's daughter said "we have some pretty big shoes to fill .... have you got Woy Hodgson's mobile number? I understand he is looking for work"
simon hammer
Has liked: 961 likes
Total likes: 738 likes

Post by simon hammer »

sendô wrote:You only need to look at Italy at this tournament - player for player a shadow of some of their teams of the past, but thus far have beaten Belgium and Spain and are in the QF by having a good manager and playing to a system that gets the best out of the team.
Ditto Leicester and Iceland. Both are cases where the team is far greater than the sum of its parts.
Xabbu
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 48 likes

Post by Xabbu »

The overuse of the word hindsight kills me. Saying "it's easy with hindsight" and "hindsight is a wonderful thing" is ridiculous. Many of us on here had the foresight to predict the path this was going to take (with no pleasure I'd add) and yet the man and the team around him were not?

He and his team are paid millions to set the team up, that includes analysing the oppositions strengths and weaknesses and developing strategies to mitigate them. Sometimes it doesn't work which is fair enough but the evidence last night suggests we showed them utter disrespect. I hate that more than anything and I'm ashamed of that more than the defeat.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

simon hammer wrote:
Ditto Leicester and Iceland. Both are cases where the team is far greater than the sum of its parts.
Correct.

I hate referring back to 1966, but the fact is Alf Ramsey picked players based on how they would fit into his system, and not by picking loads of players and just making them fit no matter what.

I seriously wonder if Moore, Hurst and Peters would of been picked for England in this day and age?
pharaoh
Total likes: 1 like

Post by pharaoh »

Moore would have got in but he would have put in Greaves. Peters probably not made the squad.
Iron-on-transfer
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 260 likes

Post by Iron-on-transfer »

Xabbu wrote:Sometimes it doesn't work which is fair enough but the evidence last night suggests we showed them utter disrespect. I hate that more than anything and I'm ashamed of that more than the defeat.
Yeah.....this says it all then....

Joe Hart - you need to take a serious look at yourself...not at fault for the second goal then Joe?

As for the reported Kane comment...well, I know he definitely ain't the brightest crayon in the box... but no, come on....really...REALLY?!
WCpete
Has liked: 1404 likes
Total likes: 3070 likes

Post by WCpete »

WCpete
Has liked: 1404 likes
Total likes: 3070 likes

Post by WCpete »

Dean Ashton sticking the boot into Roy right now on talksport. Called his behavior after the match arrogant and disgusting.