Hodgson: let's see if his no Hammers policy is vindicated.

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

mboogers
Has liked: 2 likes

Re: Lallana, Mason, Shelvey, Dier, Wilshere, Drinkwater,

Post by mboogers »

I used to get increasingly frustrated at how our players get overlooked while bench warmers from big wealthy clubs get picked left right and centre. Then it dawned on me that it's in the interests of the football establishment for players from the big clubs to get maximum exposure on TV during international matches and tournaments with huge global audiences. So it all makes sense really. Roy picks bench warmers from Mancs and Arsenal, bench warmers get recognised playing for England, Mancs and Arsenal attract new fans from around the world, more money comes in. Rinse and repeat. Until we are one of the big boys, our players, no matter how well they are performing, will get overlooked. It's a simple case of money.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:
Antonio couldn't even get in our team for 6 weeks. People on here were saying he was a waste of money. I don't think anyone in a million years could have envisaged the impact he has had since he got his opportunity. By all means have a go at Hodgson if he doesn't call him up moving forward but not sure he can be blamed for not picking a player from a middle ranked club in the Championship!
Who bought Antonio to Forest ?

He was well on the radar....and looked at by many clubs.

Over the years i can think of many players who played for England from the Championship..and one from even lower (Budgie Byrne)...and that is when we were World Beaters.

Im not saying i would have picked him...but i do know if it was Arsenal that signed him instead of us he'd have had a few caps by now.

That give them a huge advantage over us in transfer market if both clubs are in.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

If arsenal had signed him when we did, when would he have picked up these caps?
Brendan
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Brendan »

fjthegrey wrote:Butland

Clyne - Cahill - Smalling - Cresswell

Noble

Henderson - Barkley

Alli

Vardy - Kane

If you're going on form I'd say that is fairly accurate.

Decent team, would not have Cahill although I cannot offer an alternative. Henderson is one of Roys players so he will be there or there abouts. Milner will be close , once again he is one of Roy's favorites. Another favorite is Wellbeck and he has performed well for England at times, surprisingly I think England look better on paper without Rooney but he is Roy's captain so depending on his injury he will probably start.
D C
Has liked: 1103 likes
Total likes: 1439 likes

Post by D C »

An average player being on form shouldn't mean an automatic selection if their probably not good enough for the level in the same way that being a Man U or Arsenal back up shouldn't mean automatic selection.

That's not blamed at Noble at all btw, with England's poor selection of CM's he deserves at least a call up.
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 393 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

cahills head is still spinning from trying to catch lukaku last sunday
ironstu

Post by ironstu »

Drinkwater MoM last night. I don't see Noble getting a call up TBH!
Lincolnhammer92

Post by Lincolnhammer92 »

International football really isn't that much of a step-up from the Premier League. Where would Lithuania, Estonia, Slovenia, Ireland, etc finish in the Premier League?
You could probably argue that there are only maybe four teams in the Euros who would actually finish in the top 4 in the PL (Spain, Italy, Germany and France).
Anyone who does it in the PL could do it for England, for sure.
Lincolnhammer92

Post by Lincolnhammer92 »

ironstu wrote:Drinkwater MoM last night. I don't see Noble getting a call up TBH!
My boss is a Leicester season ticket holder, and said it was Drinkwaters worst performance of the season. Opinions, eh?
Boooogers!

Post by Boooogers! »

mboogers wrote:I used to get increasingly frustrated at how our players get overlooked while bench warmers from big wealthy clubs get picked left right and centre. Then it dawned on me that it's in the interests of the football establishment for players from the big clubs to get maximum exposure on TV during international matches and tournaments with huge global audiences. So it all makes sense really. Roy picks bench warmers from Mancs and Arsenal, bench warmers get recognised playing for England, Mancs and Arsenal attract new fans from around the world, more money comes in. Rinse and repeat. Until we are one of the big boys, our players, no matter how well they are performing, will get overlooked. It's a simple case of money.
Exactly this. It's a conspiracy - the England team is just an extension of the big club/big money racket.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:If arsenal had signed him when we did, when would he have picked up these caps?
San Marino, France, Spain, Lithuania, Switzerland and Estonia....did i say half a dozen ?
LouieOneChop

Post by LouieOneChop »

Maybe not as consistent as our Mark, but Eric Dier has looked a very tidy player this season.
Adam 'The Smudge'

Post by Adam 'The Smudge' »

Don't give a hoot.
Let them focus fully on our run in. :crest:
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

LouieOneChop wrote:Maybe not as consistent as our Mark, but Eric Dier has looked a very tidy player this season.
He was very ordinary against us the other week...
JerseyHammer
Has liked: 161 likes
Total likes: 156 likes

Post by JerseyHammer »

Romford wrote:
He was very ordinary against us the other week...
That's the part that winds me up. You can be sure with Nobes that you will get a 7.5 outta 10 display every time he walks onto the pitch. He is rarely injured. He might be a bit more physical but he never gets sent off.

We have 3 group games at the Euros to do the business. Noble fits the bill down to a tee, you know he will turn up.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

fmgod wrote:Cresswell should be called up without a doubt, shouldn't even be a question
Cresswell is the one that intrigues me the most. Arguably more than any position, England does seem to have a large number of LBs who are regular performers for their clubs - Rose, Bertrand, Daniels, Gibbs, Baines, Shaw (when fit)...

Without watching the others regularly, I'm curious as to what Roy might see more of in the others that he doesn't with Cresswell. Are there weaknesses in Cresswell's game, or particular strengths in the other's?

Cresswell is, by all accounts, a very exciting, enterprising and consistent LB.
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2366 likes

Post by Ozza »

The best manager we've had since sir Bob (in my view), was Venebals and he picked players in form to play a position rather than the rest who pick players from big clubs and squeeze them into a position they don't play at club level.

It baffles me, it always has, and Woy is no different, last year when he was struggling to find a fit LB we had Cressers having an outstanding season.
trick88

Post by trick88 »

Georgee Paris wrote:Has anyone actually done a team based on the 11 actual best 'on form' players yet?
http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... istical-xi

Not sure about that defence though :D
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

In form Scott Dann, not sure how that works.
wigwig

Post by wigwig »

Henderson must be the most over rated played in the country surely. He has been consistently unimpressive for England. It actually hurts me watching him play for England.