Collins in Welsh squad

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304

pharaoh
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Re: Collins in Welsh squad

Post by pharaoh »

How many of the Welsh squad are playing because of Welsh grandparents ? Definitely put on and no need for it. This was already evident by Gareth Bale prior to the England game. Most of these players make their money in England.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

Massive over reaction.

Yes most of them earn their money in England but what difference does that make?

Wales have done the country, the fans and Gary Speed proud, a video of them celebrating England going out doesn't change that. Like I said before, the whole World celebrated that Iceland win, it was brilliant for World football, it was brilliant for the tournament and it might actually turn out to be brilliant for England, providing the right manager is brought in to replace that fool!
Iron Mark
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by Iron Mark »

Jumby wrote:Massive over reaction.

Yes most of them earn their money in England but what difference does that make?

Wales have done the country, the fans and Gary Speed proud, a video of them celebrating England going out doesn't change that. Like I said before, the whole World celebrated that Iceland win, it was brilliant for World football, it was brilliant for the tournament and it might actually turn out to be brilliant for England, providing the right manager is brought in to replace that fool!
Could be some difficult questions to answer if a young Arsenal fan asks his Dad was his favourite player Ramsay is celebrating England losing.

Can you post the link to the video of the other nations celebrating like that after the England game?

I had a Welsh friend ask if I was supporting Wales now that England had been knocked out, he knew my answer once I told him about that video.
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

I don't think any Wales fans or players give a monkeys that England won't be cheering them on, I know I don't. This is just another thing to overly obsess about after another ***** performance from England, nothing more, nothing less.
Iron Mark
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by Iron Mark »

Completely agree, as I said previously the world is a much better place if we all hate each other...
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

I think you're over exaggerating a bit there Mark but at least you're keeping in theme with the thread and the general over the top feeling towards the Wales players celebrating Iceland putting England in their place.
Denbighammer
Has liked: 701 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

David Cotterill might have an interesting time when he goes back to Birmingham next season. A lot of Bluenoses NOT happy at all.

I think the whole video is fine, it demonstrates a small-minded mentality which I've witnessed hundreds of times over the years. I'm sure every other country in the world was absolutely pissing itself at England's dismal performance. Seeing Wales' players act like that was a little odd though, they're literally acting like its the most exciting thing they've ever seen. I cannot imagine any other National team going so crazy over the result of another team.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2599 likes
Total likes: 1730 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

XIRONSX wrote:It is something as English people we'll never understand.
The disdain for the English is instilled in them from an early age as it's good for the lower classes to be the victim of some kind of oppression - even one that hasn't existed for hundreds of years.

Having grown up in a Welsh speaking household I can tell you that that simply isn't true , Xironsx .
Where we grew up in Amlwch , Anglesey the majority of households were Welsh speaking with only a few English neighbours - everyone got on with each other , I NEVER heard my parents bad-mouthing the English people , my group of friends were 50% English 50% Welsh , Nationality was never a factor .
Toulouse_Iron
The boy's got form
Location: A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth can get its pants on
Has liked: 282 likes
Total likes: 344 likes

Post by Toulouse_Iron »

The Welsh supporters were based in Toulouse for the best part of a week, had a laugh, got on well with the locals and spent an absolute fortune in the pubs and restaurants. There is a large-ish Welsh ex-pat community here bacause of Airbus (one of the UK factories is in Broughton, North Wales) and the only friction I witnessed directly was between a Welsh mate of mine from Broughton and a dickhead from the valleys.
My mate had done the miles, having gone to Israel and Cyprus amongst others to see them qualify and is as Welsh as they come but the dicksplash from South Wales was laying into him because he didn't "Sound" Welsh enough. The accent from that part of Wales is very similar to the Scouse accent to the untrained ear and the dozy, ignorant little twonk was calling him out on it. He was very, very lucky his mate dragged him away........
chalks
Sliding down his pole
Has liked: 689 likes
Total likes: 1604 likes

Post by chalks »

I think I might have cheered almost as much as the Welsh players!!!
XIRONSX

Post by XIRONSX »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Having grown up in a Welsh speaking household I can tell you that that simply isn't true , Xironsx .
Where we grew up in Amlwch , Anglesey the majority of households were Welsh speaking with only a few English neighbours - everyone got on with each other , I NEVER heard my parents bad-mouthing the English people , my group of friends were 50% English 50% Welsh , Nationality was never a factor .
Not for one second would I think that what I said goes for every single person from a nation so I apologise if it seemed that way ... that's part of my issue with this subject, that mentality of a sweeping statement, especially of hatred.
Two of my closest friends, one Scotch (he loves that joke) and one Welsh basically say the same thing whenever we have touched on the subject, growing up in very deprived areas (especially the one who comes from the outskirts of Glasgow) that even as kids they found it bizarre how the English were spoken about etc

We all went to the same Uni 15 years ago where I illustrated just how bloody great English people can be :D
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

I think they were more celebrating Iceland winning than England losing...
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2599 likes
Total likes: 1730 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Toulouse_Iron wrote: My mate had done the miles, having gone to Israel and Cyprus amongst others to see them qualify and is as Welsh as they come but the dicksplash from South Wales was laying into him because he didn't "Sound" Welsh enough. The accent from that part of Wales is very similar to the Scouse accent to the untrained ear and the dozy, ignorant little twonk was calling him out on it. He was very, very lucky his mate dragged him away........
I honestly wasn't aware of how the South Walians regarded the North until I visited a mate from Builth Wells and went out drinking with some of his mates ' You're not bad for a Gog ' I was told . Totally puzzled by this remark I looked into it further and discovered that the South do indeed have some anti North Wales feelings .
After I moved to England for 10 years I completely lost my North Wales accent - if you met me you might think I came from somewhere in England [ perhaps ] - but my first language is Welsh unlike a large percentage of folk who live in the South .
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

Looks like he'll be facing Ronaldo and co