England (Non Whu) Vs Russia Match Thread

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Estuary
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Re: England (Non Whu) Vs Russia Match Thread

Post by Estuary »

Picking Sterling over Vardy put to much pressure on Kane and it showed in the final third of the game where Harry looked out on his feet, that was the first error.
The second was leaving Sterling on after the half time, he is in no form at all. The third was hooking Rooney, for Milner.
It's the little things in international football that hurt you, but Roy wasn't undone by little things on Saturday he was undone by subbing his Capt when Rooney was playing really well, you could see the surprise not only in Wayne, but in his fellow players and that signaled that "we hold what we have" stance though out the team, huge error with our defense, he should have kept Rooney on and put Vardy on for Sterling and tried to turn the Russians around. With this defense we will always need more than one goal to get all three points.
Luke (THFC)

Post by Luke (THFC) »

smuts wrote:Kane has taken 16 corners for Spurs.

And provided zero assists from them.
While I agree that it is ridiculous that Kane is taking corners, I would be wary of using that particular stat. Corners for Spurs are taken by Eriksen or Lamela. I would imagine that most of those 16 corners that Kane has taken for Spurs have been short ones where he was the player closest to the corner flag and then taking advantage of a numerical advantage out there with a quick, short corner (I can remember a few of these last season).
bobcar

Post by bobcar »

Luke (THFC) wrote: While I agree that it is ridiculous that Kane is taking corners, I would be wary of using that particular stat. Corners for Spurs are taken by Eriksen or Lamela. I would imagine that most of those 16 corners that Kane has taken for Spurs have been short ones where he was the player closest to the corner flag and then taking advantage of a numerical advantage out there with a quick, short corner (I can remember a few of these last season).
As you will have seen more of Kane then any of us how do think he was on Saturday. To some of us he looked a bit leggy and that this long season was catching up with him, do you think this was so or just think it was a one off or the formation/service? He has looke an automatic choice but not so much so from Saturday.
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Luke (THFC) wrote: While I agree that it is ridiculous that Kane is taking corners, I would be wary of using that particular stat. Corners for Spurs are taken by Eriksen or Lamela. I would imagine that most of those 16 corners that Kane has taken for Spurs have been short ones where he was the player closest to the corner flag and then taking advantage of a numerical advantage out there with a quick, short corner (I can remember a few of these last season).
I thought that would be the case. It makes the decision to having him hit pretty bog standard corners into the middle even more baffling.

If the ball breaks loose in the area you want your CF in there surely?
QuintonNimoy

Post by QuintonNimoy »

I thought comparisons of Hodgson to Graham Taylor were misplaced and unfair until I saw Kane taking corners. Why?

Also what Sterling does to justify his price tag and reputation I have no idea. If there is a blind alley to run down he will unerringly find it.

Looked like 11 strangers. Reminded me of classic England tournament football really. Russia looked awful, really bad.

Bright side: there's plenty of room for improvement.
Johnzo
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Johnzo »

Got home yesterday from a top weekend in Marseille (even with what happened over there)

Met up with the Marseille hammers who showed us great hospitality & would not let us pay for a drink all day Saturday

As for the game itself, more than happy with the way we played & don't think there was much we done wrong for the equaliser, long ball into the box and freakish header. Looking forward to getting back out there Wednesday for the Wales game
Luke (THFC)

Post by Luke (THFC) »

bobcar wrote: As you will have seen more of Kane then any of us how do think he was on Saturday. To some of us he looked a bit leggy and that this long season was catching up with him, do you think this was so or just think it was a one off or the formation/service? He has looke an automatic choice but not so much so from Saturday.
I thought he was remarkably average (at best). It's impossible to tell whether or not that was down to him being leggy after a long season or simply because England hardly got him any of the ball - and when they did get him the ball it was rarely in good positions. I would've taken him off with about 15 minutes to go as the game was perfectly set up for Vardy's pace and work rate on the break.

At Spurs Eriksen and Lamela tend to play very narrow in attack, which creates space for Harry a little wider and he is able to get on the ball quite often in the areas around the corner of the opposition's 18 yard line, Alli then tries to get beyond Kane into the box to take advantage of the gaps that appear due to one of the centre halves tracking Kane. It seems as though England played a more natural 4-3-3 type shape on Saturday, with Sterling and Lallana playing as quite conventional wingers and Kane staying quite central.

I would hope that England won't drop the season's PL top scorer for the second game off the back of just a single quiet performance, but if Kane repeats a similar performance against Wales then I think it is certain that he would lose his place for the third game. A bigger worry for me is that it seems we only have a single player who can play on the left side of the attack, especially when that player seems to be badly off form (or perhaps its not a lack of form but a lack of class?)
Luke (THFC)

Post by Luke (THFC) »

QuintonNimoy wrote:I thought comparisons of Hodgson to Graham Taylor were misplaced and unfair until I saw Kane taking corners. Why?

Also what Sterling does to justify his price tag and reputation I have no idea. If there is a blind alley to run down he will unerringly find it.

Looked like 11 strangers. Reminded me of classic England tournament football really. Russia looked awful, really bad.

Bright side: there's plenty of room for improvement.
I disagree with your third point. I didn't think we looked like strangers at all. Each player seemed to be aware of his role in the team and some of our movement and play was quite impressive. We created a decent number of chances for an international game and conceded a very low number of chances to the opposition. The result was poor, the ending was disappointing, but the performance wasn't bad IMO.
QuintonNimoy

Post by QuintonNimoy »

Luke (THFC) wrote:I disagree with your third point. I didn't think we looked like strangers at all. Each player seemed to be aware of his role in the team and some of our movement and play was quite impressive. We created a decent number of chances for an international game and conceded a very low number of chances to the opposition. The result was poor, the ending was disappointing, but the performance wasn't bad IMO.
I think you can defend in a system without knowing each other's game well but there was no chemistry going forward, particularly right at the sharp end. All the anticipation seemed to be wrong, players were slow to make decisions. The Spurs boys seemed to have a better understanding amongst themselves but you'd expect that. Against a really poor side too

That's not to say other sides in the competition don't have the same problems but the winners won't
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

QuintonNimoy wrote:I think you can defend in a system without knowing each other's game well but there was no chemistry going forward, particularly right at the sharp end. All the anticipation seemed to be wrong, players were slow to make decisions. The Spurs boys seemed to have a better understanding amongst themselves but you'd expect that. Against a really poor side too

That's not to say other sides in the competition don't have the same problems but the winners won't
And yet at every pre-tournament friendly all we hear is "Why is Roy picking the same old faces? What's he going to learn about them? He should pick some guy who's probably not going to go to the tournament so he can have a look at him"

That's why we need a more settled international side and not just pick guys who played well for two months before the latest fixture.
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

Having a 'settled international side' is how we ended up having Sterling starting games.
Coops
Has liked: 442 likes
Total likes: 573 likes

Post by Coops »

thejackhammer wrote:Having a 'settled international side' is how we ended up having Sterling starting games.

Sterling is in the side because the mighty Liverpool paid close to 50 Mil for him.
Roy is starstruck by big clubs and big fees.