England (Non Whu) Vs Russia Match Thread

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Re: England (Non Whu) Vs Russia Match Thread

Post by carnage »

Artlin

You are clearly on a wind up or know absolutely nothing about football.
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

the pink palermo wrote:This is tournament football .

Playing well and not winning is not a good result .
No, but you can play well and not get a good result.

As I said in the other thread, all football bar friendlies is tournament football.
Humbug
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 137 likes

Post by Humbug »

Unfortunately, small things matter in international games and Roy has already made a few mistakes which has cost us. Harry Kane is arguably our best finisher but taking corners? Which bright spark thought that was a good tactic? As Peter Crouch said yesterday, Vardy against leggy mid-thirty defenders seemed an obvious substitution .Kane looks absolutely knackered and imho he's burned out after virtual non-stop football for 3 years. Also , there were numerous opportunities for the team to run the clock down for the last few mins and that's where leadership and experience counts .Unsure who took the captains armband once Rooney went off but surely someone should have taken a bit of responsibility to communicate this around the team. Small little errors but big outcomes and very frustrated because it could cost us winning the group (or even going out). Also have my doubts about the composure of Hart. He always looks like a nervy keeper as if he's got a bunch of wasps up his backside. Some of his distribution is so risky and schoolboy stuff at the end that could have cost us the game.
artlin

Post by artlin »

carnage wrote:Artlin

And, of course, you know everything about football. I bow to your superior knowledge.

If two fullbacks spend the entire first half receiving the ball, chasing down the line, beating all of the opposition players, managing to get in some tremendous crosses into the box only to find that there is no one to receive it .... I would call that a waste of time and energy.

I am not saying they had a bad game, Walker is a cracking player. If there is no end result then, yes, it is a waste.

I see 5 shots on goal compared to their 2. I would say 3 of those 5 should have been converted and that would include Diers goal.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

Well that was a kicker.

Sterling added nothing. I thought he was meant to be quick? Every time he got the ball in the break I was expecting him to burn the defenders but all he did all game was lose the ball. Why did he not come off?

Hodgsons subs, why bring on Wilshere for Rooney, and why oh why not bring on Vardy so that we had some pace for counter attacks.

Oh and Harry Kane taking corners. What the actual f***?

Ultimately it's not the end of the world as we didn't lose, but while Hodgson is making perplexing decisions like that it's hard to imagine us winning. It's fine lines in tournament football. The old codger is holding us back.
bobcar

Post by bobcar »

the pink palermo wrote:This is tournament football .

Playing well and not winning is not a good result .
I don't think a single poster has suggested this was a good result, it was clearly a poor result, there is however a wide range of opinions here from crap performance to excellent performance but poor result. To be honest you could have said which posters would have which opinions before the start of the match.
bobcar

Post by bobcar »

artlin wrote: You say Wales were poor but sneaked a win. We were good but only drew.
Wales had a great result and the performance was okay for Wales but if England had put in the same performance as Wales they would have been slated on here.

If a couple of the chances that were rammed down the keepers throat had been scored by mishitting the shot like for Wale's winner most on here would have been happy. Football is that sort of sport with a large fortuitous element to it (fortuitous in its proper form doesn't mean lucky though misuse by some football commentators has meant that meaning has been added to the dictionary alongside the real meaning).
Sloffy

Post by Sloffy »

Kane was awful yesterday. For some reason hes on set pieces but every one of them was dreadful - as they were in the friendlies.

He is frequently offside too.

After a decent first half, England stuttered in the 2nd. That's where managers earn their salt. Instead he left it plodding along until the last 10 then made 2 negative subs, one of which, Milner, failed to do his job and stop the cross for the equaliser.

Hodgson has fooled people by romping the easiest qualifying group he could possibly have got. This is his 3rd tournament, and hes started it in flop mode just like the other 2.

Poor manager
simon hammer
Has liked: 961 likes
Total likes: 738 likes

Post by simon hammer »

Part of the problem is that we only come up against decent opposition at tournaments or in friendlies. When you have Andorra and San Marino in your qualifying group you aren't going to learn a great deal about your players or team and you certainly aren't going to improve. I'd much rather have teams that will challenge us considerably more than the likes of Azerbaijan tbh.

We don't eat from the top table anymore, and like it or not we are firmly in the second tier of nations (and I will keep to European teams here as it's relevant to the forum) with the likes of Ukraine, Croatia, Holland et al while the likes of Germany, France, Spain and Italy regularly get to semi finals.

I'd like to see us having to play against Spain and Holland in a qualifying campaign and lose a couple of times but learn more from them games tbh, because it is incredibly easy to say "we won all our qualifiers" and totally dismiss who we beat and what the team has gained or how the team has improved.

And yes, I expect us to breeze through the next qualifying campaign only to fail at the tournament finals...again.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

simon hammer wrote:Part of the problem is that we only come up against decent opposition at tournaments or in friendlies. When you have Andorra and San Marino in your qualifying group you aren't going to learn a great deal about your players or team and you certainly aren't going to improve. I'd much rather have teams that will challenge us considerably more than the likes of Azerbaijan tbh.

We don't eat from the top table anymore, and like it or not we are firmly in the second tier of nations (and I will keep to European teams here as it's relevant to the forum) with the likes of Ukraine, Croatia, Holland et al while the likes of Germany, France, Spain and Italy regularly get to semi finals.

I'd like to see us having to play against Spain and Holland in a qualifying campaign and lose a couple of times but learn more from them games tbh, because it is incredibly easy to say "we won all our qualifiers" and totally dismiss who we beat and what the team has gained or how the team has improved.

And yes, I expect us to breeze through the next qualifying campaign only to fail at the tournament finals...again.
It's the same for all the top countries in qualifying though, it's not just exclusively England that get groups with a number of inferior sides in. International football is about making the best of what you've got and when Jamie Vardy has had the season he's just had you pick him, even if it's as a wide attacker, you pick him over an out of form midget who has pace and occasional close control but seemingly very little else in his locker.
simon hammer
Has liked: 961 likes
Total likes: 738 likes

Post by simon hammer »

I agree jumby. I would have had Vardy and Sturridge in the starting line up. And i hate seeing England lose but at the end of this tournament Woy will be gone (hopefully) and, provided the F.A are capable of getting a decision right, we will have a younger, more progressive manager at the helm.

Also, plenty of other nations have footballers that play their football outside the country they represent i.e Bale for Wales plays in Spain.

How many of our squad play their football outside of England? And why ate other teams able to step up at tournament while we flatter to deceive?
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Kane has taken 16 corners for Spurs.

And provided zero assists from them.
Douthy
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 128 likes

Post by Douthy »

Moved to more relevant post
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

We did play well (to a point). The problem with Hodgson though is that he manages like he's still at Fulham. You can't (micro) manage your way through a major international tournament like its a 38 game league campaign. 1-0 is an infinitely more precarious score line in this format than it is in your average Premier Leage match. He's just not bold enough.
stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

carnage wrote:Artlin

This.

A lot of drivel being written by posters who clearly just want to moan and slag off the team. :thdn:

The performance was encouraging, but just not clinical enough.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

smuts wrote:Kane has taken 16 corners for Spurs.

And provided zero assists from them.

It's insane isn't it, your number 9 taking corners, especially with a proven record of not being good at them
mcan
Has liked: 187 likes
Total likes: 105 likes

Post by mcan »

Sloffy wrote: Hodgson has fooled people by romping the easiest qualifying group he could possibly have got. This is his 3rd tournament, and hes started it in flop mode just like the other 2.
He's started the same way just about every England manager has started a major tournament in the last fifty years, with a draw (or worse). Get over it.
Canadianhammer

Post by Canadianhammer »

I have lost what little confidence I had for Roy. He has to take responsibility for the loss sorry tie. He looks stressed to the gills!!
Kane and Sterling should have been given the hook at half time
Why did he wait so long to make a change when our strikers were missing chance after chance??
Not using Vardy, Sturridge or Rashford
Bringing Milner on and going on the defensive when we had been bossing the game was disastrous
Having Kane take the corners wtf?!
It goes on and on....

I wouldn't even play Kane or Sterling against Wales
Put Vardy and Sturrige on. I might even change up Joe Hart. He looked very shaky.
The players will have a very difficult time keeping the nerves in heck on Thursday
They're gonna have to dig deep.
Get it right Roy or you are done!
smuts

Post by smuts »

We'll win our next 2 no problem.

We've started off tournaments a lot worse. My main concerns are lack of width with Sterling looking like he peaked 2 years ago and that Kane looked shattered from the first minute.

With Walker and Rose expected to get up and down the pitch so much I also wonder how much they have left in the tank.
smuts

Post by smuts »

[quote="Jumby"]
It's insane isn't it, your number 9 taking corners, especially with a proven record of not being good at them/quote]

Imagine Shearer being asked to take corners?

I would love to hear the justification for this.