I'm A Bit Confused About The Euro Rules .

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

I'm A Bit Confused About The Euro Rules .

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

As the title says , I'm not quite sure about the rules of Euro 2016 , who plays who after all the games have been played in the various Groups ?

Say for instance England top Group B and Wales finish 2nd - what happens next ?

I've tried looking up the rules but that only confused me further , the way I'm reading it if Wales finish 2nd we will then play the Runners Up of Group F which possibly may be Austria - what happens after that ?

In past competitions such as the World Cup the lay out was relatively simple - but Euro 2016 has left me rather confused .

Has anyone seen a simple chart which explains how Euro 2016 will progress .

Thanks in advance .
ironsjh

Re: I'm A Bit Confused About The Euro Rules .

Post by ironsjh »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:As the title says , I'm not quite sure about the rules of Euro 2016 , who plays who after all the games have been played in the various Groups ?

Say for instance England top Group B and Wales finish 2nd - what happens next ?

I've tried looking up the rules but that only confused me further , the way I'm reading it if Wales finish 2nd we will then play the Runners Up of Group F which possibly may be Austria - what happens after that ?

In past competitions such as the World Cup the lay out was relatively simple - but Euro 2016 has left me rather confused .

Has anyone seen a simple chart which explains how Euro 2016 will progress .

Thanks in advance .
Best I can find is this

Match 1: Runner-up Group A v Runner-up Group C
Match 2: Winner Group D v 3rd Place Group B/E/F
Match 3: Winner Group B v 3rd Place Group A/C/D
Match 4: Winner Group F v Runner-up Group E
Match 5: Winner Group C v 3rd Place Group A/B/F
Match 6: Winner Group E v Runner-up Group D
Match 7: Winner Group A v 3rd Place Group C/D/E
Match 8: Runner-up Group B v Runner-up Group F
The specific match-ups involving the third-placed teams depend on which four third-placed teams qualify for the round of 16
ballantine
Has liked: 1254 likes
Total likes: 229 likes

Post by ballantine »

They create the round of 16 depending on which four "number three's" advance from the group stage.

The winners of groups A, B, C and D will play 3rd place teams. (Winner of Group E will play runner up Group D and winner of Group F will play runner up Group E)

In your example, England win group B with Wales as runner up: If the #3 from groups A, B, C and D go through, they will play #3 from group D. But if the #3 from groups A, B, C and E go through, they will play #3 in group A. Wales will play the runner up from group F regardless.

The chart being used to clarify who plays who in the knockout stage, is found here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro ... kout_phase

It seems like someone has taken on updating that one with all the possible combinations during the group stage, so might be worth having a look after the next round of matches.
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 204 likes
Total likes: 216 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

Am I right in thinking only 2 teams will fail to reach the knock out stage? Just that I have been checking on Bet365 and you can do an acca on multiple selections to qualify.

EDIT: Oops, confused myself. Think I meant only 2/6 3rd placed teams will fail to progress. Seems hard to fail! Cue England!
Last edited by iLoveLasagne on Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
peter49uk
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by peter49uk »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/eur ... kout-stage" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

simple's
SiamHammer
Has liked: 1078 likes
Total likes: 203 likes

Post by SiamHammer »

iLoveLasagne wrote:Am I right in thinking only 2 teams will fail to reach the knock out stage? Just that I have been checking on Bet365 and you can do an acca on multiple selections to qualify.
8 teams go out leaving 16 through to the knockout stage
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

Remember the days before it was called the Round of 16 and we all called it the 2nd Round? Great days.
bobcar

Post by bobcar »

iLoveLasagne wrote:Am I right in thinking only 2 teams will fail to reach the knock out stage? Just that I have been checking on Bet365 and you can do an acca on multiple selections to qualify.
Only two third place teams will fail to reach the knock out stage all the fourth place ones will.