Republic Of Ireland vs Sweden

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Re: Republic Of Ireland vs Sweden

Post by ageing hammer »

We should have been two up at halftime while we were on top.

O'Shea was an inch away from a tap in and we hit the bar.

We gifted them an own goal with a diving header and we might rue not taking the three points as we were the better team on the day.

Not the end of the world but it would have been much better going up against Belgium and Italy with three points in the bag.
Luke (THFC)

Post by Luke (THFC) »

ageing hammer wrote:We should have been two up at halftime while we were on top.

O'Shea was an inch away from a tap in and we hit the bar.

We gifted them an own goal with a diving header and we might rue not taking the three points as we were the better team on the day.

Not the end of the world but it would have been much better going up against Belgium and Italy with three points in the bag.
I don't think you gifted them the goal. It was a good move by Sweden and Ibrahimovic's ball across had completely taken Randolph out of the game. Had Clark not got his head on that, it was going straight to the Swedish player in the centre of the goal about 3 yards out and was odds on to be a goal anyway.

Clark was unfortunate as he had to try to get something on it to stop it going to the Swede in the middle. Had he just got a bit more on it then he could've got it out for a corner or perhaps even headed straight onto his Randolph at the near post. I would rather my defender be brave in that situation and risk the own goal than just let the ball through to a goalscorer.
american 'ammer

Post by american 'ammer »

Tough on the Irish, who played with a lot of heart and not a little skill. If not for that period after the goal when they retreated they would have pushed on and gotten the second goal that their performance deserved.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Keano in the bog :D
Vince
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by Vince »

ageing hammer wrote:" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Keano in the bog :D

Funny as f***
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 322 likes

Post by Het-Field »

I felt we played very well for a combined 70 mins, and far too restrictively for the balance. I believe we should have been two up by the time the Swedes equalised, especially as we had played an expansive and ambitious game in the first half. Sweden won't trouble the other teams in the group.