England vs Wales

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Re: England vs Wales

Post by carnage »

Rooney was our best player in both games though.

We have played quite well in both games, better going forward than most teams. The problem in the first 2 games was Kane and Sterling, not Rooney.
CurlyHammer
Has liked: 41 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by CurlyHammer »

If he picks a top heavy squad, he should play a top heavy side. No point in being cautious, if attack is our best form of defense.
steveherts66

Post by steveherts66 »

Reminiscent of Italia 90 when an obstinate old fool stumbled on his best line up and formation. Let's hope the current old fool let's it run
61dicksey
Has liked: 555 likes
Total likes: 401 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

Boo Boo wrote:Richard Keys on the Vardy goal.
"Somehow the officials have got that right - but surely the lino should still flag?"

Be careful what you flag for Dick.
This is part of the new rules isn't it concerning offside?
nt_hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by nt_hammer »

Fantastic game and the we got the win we finally deserved.

Was never in doubt :oops:
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 364 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

Boo Boo wrote:Richard Keys on the Vardy goal.
"Somehow the officials have got that right - but surely the lino should still flag?"

Be careful what you flag for Dick.
What a bizarre thing to say (Keys that is, not Boo Boo).
Somehow the officials got it right? Huh? What's the 'somehow'?
The officials got it right, plain and simple.

Why should the "lino" have flagged? Vardy was in an ONside position the last time an England player played the ball forward. The ref was very well positioned to see this and who had headed the ball down.

It wasn't a case of 'In an offside position but not interfering," or "in an offside position but during a different passage of play."
He quite simply wasn't offside.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1465 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

carnage wrote:
We have played quite well in both games, better going forward than most teams. The problem in the first 2 games was Kane and Sterling, not Rooney.
I agree.

Having watched at least a half of ALL the games in the Euros, I think England have been the most impressive I've seen so far. Both our opponents have adopted a negative approach, and we've managed to break them down, we've had good possession, and had loads of shots.

The Dier/Rooney combo seems to be really working well too.
Josie112002
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Josie112002 »

steveherts66 wrote:Reminiscent of Italia 90 when an obstinate old fool stumbled on his best line up and formation. Let's hope the current old fool let's it run
Completely agree, in Italia 90 the media and public did not realise how good our manager was and seemed to hope we would do badly-the rest of the world respect both of them though. Bobby Robson an old fool :eh:
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

The difference of opinions on Rooney on here is fascinating

I thought he was our MOTM yesterday, & the biggest mistake in the Russia game was taking him off far too early for a player who then wandered away from that role & subsequently we lost that discipline & shape in the middle of the pitch. Up until that point it looked more like 2-0 than 1-1 for me.

I still think everything is too frenetic & hopefull, but fair play to Hodgson for bringing on a player in Vardy that stuck to the role of centre forward long enough for all of the balls being thrown in from the wing to stick.

I rate Kane, but I don't believe we would have ever scored in that second half with him on the pitch. I don't know if it's down to the lad playing too much football this season or he's just trying too hard to play in too many positions, but both games have been crying out for a goal hanger to just literally stand in the middle as the ball gets pumped in over & over. Vardy needed one cross to be that player.

It doesn't matter to me that he did sod all else. This team doesn't need a number 9 taking the corners & free kicks on the half way line. Hodgson deserves credit for getting it as right against Wales as he got it wrong against Russia.
Bavarian_Hammer
Has liked: 44 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by Bavarian_Hammer »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: I think England have been the most impressive I've seen so far.
Honestly? You probably didn't watch Italy play then. The Italians just bossed the game against Belgium. They made them look like a pretty ordinary team. I thought England did alright so far but way too many misunderstandings / misplaced passes for me. Will be interesting how they fare when a better opposition turns up.
Joey00

Post by Joey00 »

Being an Englishman living in Wales, the comments I've received after this game have been awful. Been told to "go back to my country" a few times. Wouldn't be acceptable if that was any other minority.
Last edited by Joey00 on Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
claretcloggy

Post by claretcloggy »

Joey00 wrote:Being an Englishman living in Wales, the comments I've received after this game have been have been awful. Been told to "go back to my country" a few times. Wouldn't be acceptable if that was any other minority.
you are in your country though...all part of Great Britain and the UK after all :wink: but sorry to hear that nevertheless mate
giantsteps

Post by giantsteps »

England played well yesterday? :?

The stuff you read on here eh.

We (or Hodgson) went for it after going 1-0 down from a Bale free-kick which was miles out and Hart should of comfortably palmed away.

At no point did I think we played particularly good football. We played a lot better with Sturridge and Vardy I thought. But let's have it right, there was some awful passing from us yesterday, no players willing to take on their defenders at pace, and some dreadful 'row z' efforts.'

Wales were hard to break down though. We knew they would be.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

I thought we done alright actually. The test will be when we meet a side that won't worry about us and just worry about their game going forward, more space, good and bad for us when that happens, we will need to score 2 to get a result.

Ali & Kane were disappointing, but would keep with Ali for the last group game, he has to come good, he is too good not too.

Apart from Italy, the so called "bigger" names all look very similar. Nothing to fear, we are on the right track.

Wales manager had very much sour grapes after, plus the Welsh players all bigged up about more passion etc, better team won though.

Saying all that about the Welsh build up being a little OTT, somewhat egg on their faces, I hope they go through with us.
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

giantsteps wrote:England played well yesterday? :?

The stuff you read on here eh.

We (or Hodgson) went for it after going 1-0 down from a Bale free-kick which was miles out and Hart should of comfortably palmed away.

At no point did I think we played particularly good football. We played a lot better with Sturridge and Vardy I thought. But let's have it right, there was some awful passing from us yesterday, no players willing to take on their defenders at pace, and some dreadful 'row z' efforts.'

Wales were hard to break down though. We knew they would be.
You watched a different game to me.
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

Clacton-ammer wrote:I thought we done alright actually. The test will be when we meet a side that won't worry about us and just worry about their game going forward, more space, good and bad for us when that happens, we will need to score 2 to get a result.
I think a team who wants to have a go to beat us will provide both challenges and opportunities. Our defence will be tested but we will have more space to attack in. Wales parked the bus second half and we had to work and work to fashion opportunities. A more attacking opponent will leave gaps and I feel we can exploit them.
WorcesterWHU
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 107 likes

Post by WorcesterWHU »

My only real beef yesterday is I felt we didn't move the ball quick enough, more pronounced in the first half but still happened in the second half.

And whilst Walker is a great outlet on the right, there wasn't as much quality into the box as I'd be hoping for.

Hopefully we're just getting into our stride.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2639 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Joey00 wrote:Being an Englishman living in Wales, the comments I've received after this game have been awful. Been told to "go back to my country" a few times. Wouldn't be acceptable if that was any other minority.
Which part of Wales do you live in , where did you watch the match and how did you behave afterwards ?

Still sorry to hear that - I think Football can sometimes bring out the worst in a lot of people .
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

James P wrote:I think a team who wants to have a go to beat us will provide both challenges and opportunities. Our defence will be tested but we will have more space to attack in. Wales parked the bus second half and we had to work and work to fashion opportunities. A more attacking opponent will leave gaps and I feel we can exploit them.
My biggest concern is that I see us struggling heavily against any attacking side that takes a 1-0 lead & then defends. Or I did until the second half yesterday.

I'd be starting with Vardy & Sturridge against Slovakia. Kane looks shattered.
Hammer32

Post by Hammer32 »

As long as we don't see Sterling again, we have half a chance of doing OK.