Where's the next tactical innovation coming from?

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

southbrishammer
Has liked: 117 likes
Total likes: 341 likes

Where's the next tactical innovation coming from?

Post by southbrishammer »

I'm not really someone who analyses team tactics in great detail, I tend to enjoy games on a simpler level of whether it is exciting to watch or not.

However the one thing that always used to make World Cups and Euros worth watching was clashes of different styles of play - will the metronomic Germans overcome the flamboyant Brazilians, who can stop this year's surprise package and so on.

This variety of tactics seems to be missing now; everyone seems to be playing roughly 4-2-3-1, so everyone knows how to nullify the threat of everyone else, and results come down to individual moments of skill and set pieces. It's interesting to watch, but it's not terribly exciting, as highlighted by the fact that no-one so far has scored more than 2 goals in a game (although admittedly Spain could tonight).

So what is going to be the next great innovation in tactics, that makes us all sit up and say "what the hell was that?" And who is most likely to come up with it?
bowltorious
Has liked: 19 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Re: Where's the next tactical innovation coming from?

Post by bowltorious »

I was thinking about this earlier and agree the Euro's so far have been pretty boring. I think it's more because it's alot of big teams matched up with little teams at the moment, which is why we are seeing alot of attack trying to break down defence games. I think when the knockout stages come we will se more open games where teams are both thinking we are the better outfit so won't be as defensive. It's also why we have seen alot of late goals as teams and players are tiring towards the end of matches due to defending so hard for most of the match. A lot of games are only opening up in the last ten minutes.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1169 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

I think you've got a short memory mate. The tactically innovative team of last season were Leicester City and they certainly made people sit up and say "wow, where did that come from."

Lowest % possession, lowest pass completion, incredible direct counter attacking.
southbrishammer
Has liked: 117 likes
Total likes: 341 likes

Post by southbrishammer »

Fair point, but who are the Euros' Leicester? If theirs is such a great formula, why are none of the international teams (particularly those less gifted with talented individuals) replicating it?
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1169 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

I think quite a few of them are trying. That's why a lot of the games have been poor, the execution has been bad, teams haven't been brave enough but they are setting up to be hard to beat, they just haven't had thay commitment in attack.

Northern Ireland got it right yesterday.
Ludeksgloves
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 480 likes

Post by Ludeksgloves »

Roy hodgson: the rebirth of the good old 442
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 494 likes
Total likes: 1972 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

I recall Pinky posting a few suggested WHU setups with like eight strikers. They were, um, innovative alright.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 799 likes
Total likes: 3014 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Was that before or part of my 2 at the back line up ?

2-4-4 , with the two wide players in the middle 4 forming part of a front six when in possession and attacking ..
richneal
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by richneal »

the pink palermo wrote:Was that before or part of my 2 at the back line up ?
2-4-4 , with the two wide players in the middle 4 forming part of a front six when in possession and attacking ..
An inverted 4-4-2 - nothing short of genius. :scarfer: