ITV v BBC

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Ingwe
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Re: ITV v BBC

Post by Ingwe »

It's a false choice. It's like being asked whether you prefer eating pus to vomit. They're both awful and the 'pundits' on both are poor.
I watch on BBC with the sound down so you don't have to hear the inanities of Lineker, the slaughtering of English by Shearer etc.
Both channels need a complete rethink of their panels. Good footballers don't automatically make good pundits or commentators. Some personality and a smattering of humility would go a long way. :thup:
Macca1973
Has liked: 1797 likes
Total likes: 1118 likes

Post by Macca1973 »

Thought I’d hate Eni Aluko but even she’s growing on me!
pharaoh
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by pharaoh »

Lawro sounds like he'd rather be doing his garden. Scott is good, Hoddle sounds better as a pundit rather than a co-comentator, Gary Neville is good, his brother isn't (I hope I've got that the right way around). Keene looks like he couldn't be bothered…Slav more his usual self now and is someone other pundits look up to.

Saw Evra today on ITV and thought he looked overweight, went on about how great it was at Man Utd, got the impression he wasn't really bothered with us.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

Keep Slav and the girls, bin the rest off.

Football punditry in this country seems to be a lost art. Shearer is great when he's moaning about Newcastle's crap defending, but everything else he's boring. Linekar is too smug, Jenas an irritating cock, Keane seems like a know nothing bully, and the Neville brothers both seem like annoying know-it-alls who don't know-it-all.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

Actually don’t mind Gary Neville, he’s the best of the modern lot for me.

Appears to have got all the media skills in that family...
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

Whether the women are insightful or not, they really shouldn't be there and their appearance is nothing more than PC nonsense.

Women's football is akin to non-league football. How many non-league players are going to get a call for punditry soon?
sendô

Post by sendô »

The standard isn't as high, but why should it only be former professional male footballers who do punditry?

Female tennis players comment on male tennis and noone bats an eyelid.
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

sendô wrote:The standard isn't as high, but why should it only be former professional male footballers who do punditry?

Female tennis players comment on male tennis and noone bats an eyelid.
That's different, the gulf in class isn't as big.

The BBC give disproportionate exposure to the women's game compared to the actual interest in it.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

I agree with your point Billy, but I feel Alex Scott is breaking the mould, most other female pundits try too hard to force their opinions on us is a vain attempt to show the men that they know what they are talking about, when in truth they don't need to be like that all, take Scott for example, she's very knowledgeable and comes across well, she dissects the game and gives good insight, it looks and feels natural to her, compared to Aluko who just reals off the tried and tested football cliches, they know more about the game than most men, so it's quite sad that some feel the need to try and prove themselves.

I'm not knocking the women at all, and least they try compared to the likes of Roy Keane and Evra who offer little and couldn't care less, and Philip Neville who is quite frankly a moron.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

I think Martin O'Neill is on today. I'm always interested in what he has to say.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

Alex Scott was okay for me not a fan of Aluko, also can't stand Evra, he is a massive egotist. Jenas makes me skin crawl. Linekar is far too smug and up himself. I wish they would have a few journalists or players on from the country/league of the teams. I've got players that barely seem to watch anything bar the top four telling me about say Serbia vs Costa Rica, reading off a stats sheet, offering no insight or valued opinion, just cliche after cliche.

The massive thing that bugs me, is no one seems to have a clue about players outside the Premier League or let alone the big clubs, it's embarrassing. Danny Murphy the other night saying this is probably Isco's best performance, his been doing that for years, let alone six years ago being an absolute god at Malaga as a youngster.
EastBrisHammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by EastBrisHammer »

I still prefer the BBC mainly because I cannot stand Tyldesley. To me he sums up the modern game. He is obsessed with big teams and big name players. He always makes excuses for them while making derogatory remarks about the smaller team or 'lesser' players. Neymar shoots wide and he says something like 'that would have been some goal if that went in' while a player from the opposition tries something similar and the comment goes along the lines of 'that was miles wide of the post. A wasted opportunity.' Sooner he retires the better.

I don't listen to the studio chat so don't really care who they have.
sendô

Post by sendô »

^ Tyldesley is a **** and I've vehemently detested him since his pants explosion whilst commenting on Man City vs QPR in 2012..
Patito

Post by Patito »

e17 wrote:Worst (by an absolute mile) = Jermaine Jenas. Bloke is excruciatingly bad, shouting over others, talking in a matey “banter” tone.. the only way the Beeb could do worse is if they have Chris Sutton commentating on England

Best = Slav, Drogba, Scott & Matterface

I agree with all this, but would have Phil Neville equal worst with Jenas. ****ing moron, tries to be different but ends up talking bow locks.
stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

fmgod wrote:Danny Murphy the other night saying this is probably Isco's best performance, his been doing that for years, let alone six years ago being an absolute god at Malaga as a youngster.
Tbf Murphy is normally a pretty decent pundit, but you are right Isco has put in many performances over the last few years like he has against Portugal. In fairness it’s difficult for any pundit to have a detailed knowledge of all leagues (I appreciate most fans see Madrid regularly) but the broadcasters would do well to have someone in the studio who has some type of link to countries playing i.e Billic with Croatia.

Alex Scott is also pretty decent, even though she’s only there for the PC brigade. I bet she can’t beloeve her luck with the recent media opportunities she’s been given. Billic is Billic, I need say no more. I also quite like Wright as he has a bit of personality, G.Nev generally tells it how it is and has a good understanding of the game, Dixson is quite useful at analysing the defensive side of things, whilst Hoodle clearly knows his onions.

On the negative side, Keane despite being good for the odd comment just seems so miserable, Jenas/Linekar are just incredibly smug, P Nev talks absolute waffle and i have no idea why Evra is there.
D C
Has liked: 1103 likes
Total likes: 1439 likes

Post by D C »

Danny Murphy is routinely terrible. They had talksport on the radio the other month and his bias was unbelievable. They’re all ridiculously reactionary but he’s one of the worst. Everyone’s the best or terrible based on one game of football
NT Hammer

Post by NT Hammer »

Always preferred BBC
Last edited by NT Hammer on Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

D C wrote:Danny Murphy is routinely terrible.
We’ll have to disagree on that one.

Although in general I agree pundits are far to reactionary to a single or short run of games, some of the claims made about Karius towards the end of the season were laughable, as the chanipions league final proved.
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1955 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

Billydinho wrote:Whether the women are insightful or not, they really shouldn't be there.....
You'd rather listen to an uninformed, disinterested and tedious pundit just because it's a bloke?
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1955 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

Pat Nevin always seems quite knowledgeable, and doesn't go in for sucking off the bigger teams. Which is probably why he isn't used much.