3rd place

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Noble Man
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

3rd place

Post by Noble Man »

As it stands tonight Northern Ireland are TOP of the best placed teams to go through. Don't really care who we might play, but saying that nobody scares me so far, but to get through would be unbelievable.

All of Northern Ireland has bought into the competition so far and to get to the quarters would be quite simply unbelievable!!
mental hamster666
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 41 likes

Re: 3rd place

Post by mental hamster666 »

It's a strange one, hard to work out, but if we (norn iron) come 3Rd, and qualify, which we might not, but we could well meet England!! Yeeeeeeooooooooo, Healy!!
mental hamster666

Glad we've got the best O'Neill, not the money grabbing f*** arsehat Martin
cockney farmer

Post by cockney farmer »

Hope you do but have a feeling Romania will be in that slot
Korea Hammer
Has liked: 1316 likes
Total likes: 775 likes

Post by Korea Hammer »

Glancing through the tables and last fixtures, it seems a lot of groups could easily produce 3rd place teams on 4 points.

Belgium have to be careful. If they lose to Sweden, I don't think they'll get through on 3.
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

For me Albania are gone and it's four from the remaining five groups. Albania have 3pts and -2 GD. They also have the added handicap that all remaining teams know that and will react accordingly.

Not sure who the other faller will be though but I think Northern Ireland should probably feel that a single goal defeat to Germany would see them sneak through.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Albania's route through does require some favours, but it's not an impossible task. 11/8 an average price for them to qualify...

They need Czech, Republic Of Ireland and Sweden not to win, who face Turkey, Italy and Belgium. If one of those do win, they can still go through with a Portugal defeat and Austria not to win, or a heavy defeat for someone elsewhere. (That is of course harder).

3 points could be enough, due to the possibility of Group D and E producing teams on 2 points or less.

Republic Of Ireland are obviously most vulnerable if they get to 4 points...

I don't see any of the 2 teams in Group E winning their game, so I personally think it's going to be down to the Czechs not winning seeing Northern Ireland and Albania through.
Noble Man
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by Noble Man »

That result makes it a bit more difficult for us!! Really needed Slovakia to have got well beaten tonight
mental hamster666

So we (ni), need a very unlikely turkey win, or Belgium to beat Sweden, or Italy to beat Ireland!? Or is it not that simple!!?????
arlhe
Has liked: 235 likes
Total likes: 178 likes

Post by arlhe »

Lots of chances for NI. Just need one remaining 3rd place team to have a worse record.

Turkey win or draw

Eire and Sweden fail to win

Needs Portugal to win and a decisive result in the Iceland game to deny you.

80% chance of going through at least.
Bavarian_Hammer
Has liked: 44 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by Bavarian_Hammer »

Was really pleased the NI - Germany game ended 0:1, think it's very likely now NI get through to the finals :thup:
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

There's been a lot of dross finishing third, sides that have lost two out of three shouldn't be going through, Northern Ireland had a great result against Ukraine but they've lost their two other games so it shouldn't be good enough.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Jumby wrote:There's been a lot of dross finishing third, sides that have lost two out of three shouldn't be going through, Northern Ireland had a great result against Ukraine but they've lost their two other games so it shouldn't be good enough.
I actually think the fact Portugal are through on 3 draws ahead of any of the teams who have won a game is worse. Albania and Turkey both won a game. They have a head to head rule in the groups and act like GD is worthless. The should have done the best 3rd places on games won to split anyone on 3 points.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

It should always be the top 2 and no more in a 4 team group, if need be have 32 teams, although that would make qualifying for the tournament fairly easy for most. Like you say, Portugal have dribbled across the line and don't deserve it, whilst Albania and Northern Ireland are a plucky bunch but they have not been good enough to deserve to go through.