1984 Tournament

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 163 likes
Total likes: 1105 likes

1984 Tournament

Post by Rio »

I'm racking my brain trying to think of why I don't have vivid memories of this tournament. As a kid I religiously watched as much football as I could, but I don't seem to recall much about this one, other than watching highlights of games on Sportsnight.

I know England or any if the other home nations didn't qualify but I'm pretty sure this wasn't covered in depth as it is now. Similarly 1980 I remember our game I think against Belguim was live (the tear gas game) but it wasn't wall to wall coverage.

Am I correct in thinking it wasn't until 1988 that the TV companies deemed the Euro's a major event?
Monkey Mike
Total likes: 1 like

Re: 1984 Tournament

Post by Monkey Mike »

I remember watching France v Portugal as an 8 year old and drooling over the French team at the time.
Claretdave
Harry's estranged lovechild
Location: Congratulations you have just met the LME (Liberal Metropolitan Elite).

Post by Claretdave »

I think you are a few years older than me :wink: but I can't recall it at all. I can vaguely recall a few moments from the 1982 World Cup, and the 1984 Olympics, but this is a complete blank.
Monkey Mike
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Monkey Mike »

I remember loads from Espana 82, but only snippets from 84. 1982 was a brilliant tournament.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 641 likes
Total likes: 592 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Remember the crowd trouble in 1980, but nothing about '84 beyond it being when Platini made his mark. Funny how bad news sticks around longer.
beckton

Post by beckton »

There was hardly any live tv coverage of that tournament, maybe the semi-finals and final and that was it. I'm not even sure about that.

I was gutted as I loved watching that French side with Platini, Giresse, Tigana etc and you had to rely on an evening highlights show.