Italy v Republic of Ireland

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

upton o'good
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 120 likes

Re: Italy v Republic of Ireland

Post by upton o'good »

Morocco Mole wrote:Can't believe Hoolihan didn't start. Ireland's best player for me.
Totally agree.

Lit up a truly crap match when he came on. Surprised how poor the Italy B team were. They;ll struggle if those players have to play again...
upton o'good
Total likes: 120 likes

Post by upton o'good »

duplicate post
MD_HM
Has liked: 38 likes
Total likes: 339 likes

Post by MD_HM »

Mega Ron wrote:Well played Ireland.

I cheered louder for that goal than I have for any of England's.
Not the only one, did the same for Payet's goals as well

Just can't connect with England at present, dislike a majority of the players, the manor or merit in which they were picked and the dinosaur of a manager.

Ireland will want revenge of France for Henry's handball goal now so will hopefully be a good game
Belgian Iron
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 45 likes

Post by Belgian Iron »

Not the only one, did the same for Payet's goals as well
MD_HM wrote: Just can't connect with England at present, dislike a majority of the players, the manor or merit in which they were picked and the dinosaur of a manager.
Same here for Belgium. Can't cheer them on, a bunch of prima donna's who think they are going to win on merit. The Belgian people over here only encourage this with all there headless comments about being the 'best team' and all that. We won against Ireland & Sweden ffs......and it could have been a whole lot different tonight.

Where are the good times with all the average players who were fighting for their lives, with Wilmots being our technical most gifted player......

It's true, the way to the final is wide open for Belgium....but so it is for all the other ones. Because they will go out at the first attempt when they continue to play like this.
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 322 likes

Post by Het-Field »

bubbles1966 wrote:Brady is very decent technically; poor defender , mind.

Wouldn't be a bad, cheapo, squad filler for midfield.
He cost Norwich £7.5 Million last year, and he gave us the run around at Upton Park in September. I don't think we'd get him on the cheap, and his performances at the Euros have probably made him more expensive
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

Morocco Mole wrote:Can't believe Hoolihan didn't start. Ireland's best player for me.
he can't last more than 60 minutes. either have him set the tone then fade or use him as an impact sub.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Just in from the pub what a win, a great performance. I don't care what players they had on the pitch the records show Ireland beat Italy and are through. Should have had 2 penalties but Ireland= West Ham.

Have to excuse me as I am very drunk right now and am looking forward to a bit of revenge on Sunday for the Henry hand ball goal.

What a man Buffon is, I loved him before tonight but the gesture he showed tonight hugging Martin and Roy beats the lot.

Great flag in the crowd tonight "Tell mammy send more money" :D

I am off to bed now love you all on Kumb goodnight .
Last edited by ageing hammer on Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
M*A*R*C

Post by M*A*R*C »

And now they call him RANDOLPHINIO!

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingne ... 1321.html?
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Snap! :scarfer:
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

ageing hammer wrote:Just in from the pub what a win, a great performance. I don't care what players they had on the pitch the records show Ireland beat Italy and are through. Should have had 2 penalties but Ireland= West Ham.

Have to excuse me as I am very drunk right now and am looking forward to a bit of revenge on Sunday for the Henry hand ball goal.

What a man Buffon is, I loved him before tonight but the gesture he showed tonight hugging Martin and Roy beats the lot.

Great flag in the crowd tonight "Tell mammy send more money" :D

I am off to bed now love you all on Kumb goodnight .
Good on you ageing, I jumped out the chair when you boys done it. Chuffed for both Irish teams,

Yep, Buffon, I caught that, top quality that was, to be sure to be fair...
The Sherriff
Total likes: 106 likes

Post by The Sherriff »

By no means a dig but I find it strange at that an Englishman would cheer when another country scores.

I don’t like Woy, his selection policy or a lot of the players that represent the 3 lions but wouldn’t dream of celebrating another countries goal …. Maybe Northern Ireland (Whom I wish well).

It’s a bit small minded, so we didn’t’ have any of players representing England, its done now. Payet gets a sniff of a CL club he’ll be off in a shot, support your country not the players. Skewed and slightly odd mentality.

The Irish certainly wouldn’t be cheering on us that’s for sure.
ageing hammer

Post by ageing hammer »

The Sherriff wrote:By no means a dig but I find it strange at that an Englishman would cheer when another country scores.

I don’t like Woy, his selection policy or a lot of the players that represent the 3 lions but wouldn’t dream of celebrating another countries goal …. Maybe Northern Ireland (Whom I wish well).

It’s a bit small minded, so we didn’t’ have any of players representing England, its done now. Payet gets a sniff of a CL club he’ll be off in a shot, support your country not the players. Skewed and slightly odd mentality.

The Irish certainly wouldn’t be cheering on us that’s for sure.
As an Irishman I can comment on this.

Maybe you are right that we wouldn't be cheering on the England team, that doesn't mean we don't want them to succeed though. I know for a fact that nearly all my life watching football that everybody in Ireland always wish England well in tournaments ( unless we are drawn against them of course :D ).

The main reason for that is that historically all of Ireland follow teams in England and most of our teams players play in England so we are connected as such. The Irish have always hoped that any of our near neighbours do well as we are so closely interlinked with the domestic football. If Ireland don't qualify for a tournament or get knocked out of one, the next team we wish to do well is normally whichever of the home countries are still left in it, normally that is England. I obviously cannot speak for all Irish people but that is my experience of it.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

I'm part plastic (both Nans) and I've always supported Ireland against anyone other than England.

That probably makes me a **** but I'll take it.... :D
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

I'm part Irish for a start, but I am more English. If we met each other I would want England to win. I surprised myself in truth with my reaction, same with N Ireland. Funny enough, not when Wales scored, although I wanted them to go through (knowing full well that many Welsh would want us out).

I travel to Ireland a lot on business, especially N Ireland, the vast majority of the Irish are for me the nicest people in the world, I will always wish them well when not playing us.

Saying that, I cheered Hungary last night just to watch cock face have a melt down 8-)
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 322 likes

Post by Het-Field »

You'll always have begrudgers, well wishers, and the down right indifferent.

If you were to go onto any Scottish Football forum you will see it in abundance. There are those who have stopped posting, those who cheered Robbie Brady's goal and cannot wait for the next round, and those who will issue the red herring about Germany and Italy B teams, and spray bile about how Scotland are better than Ireland and that they should be there.
The Sherriff
Total likes: 106 likes

Post by The Sherriff »

ageing hammer wrote:
As an Irishman I can comment on this.

Maybe you are right that we wouldn't be cheering on the England team, that doesn't mean we don't want them to succeed though. I know for a fact that nearly all my life watching football that everybody in Ireland always wish England well in tournaments ( unless we are drawn against them of course :D ).

The main reason for that is that historically all of Ireland follow teams in England and most of our teams players play in England so we are connected as such. The Irish have always hoped that any of our near neighbours do well as we are so closely interlinked with the domestic football. If Ireland don't qualify for a tournament or get knocked out of one, the next team we wish to do well is normally whichever of the home countries are still left in it, normally that is England. I obviously cannot speak for all Irish people but that is my experience of it.
I was a resident of north Dublin for a time, the ex was a north-sider.

I was informed that the rivalry between Ireland and England was comparable of that between England and Germany.

I’ve been in Dublin when England have played (Rugby and Football) and judging by the cheering of the opposition, I would find it hard to accept the Irish want us to do well … even a minority.

Your post is a good one ageing and I don’t wish to pour scorn over you. I’ll readily admit to cheering on the Italians last night and though I would consider Dublin my second city (Or at least was) and love the country of yours … I never want you to win!!!

However your post has reminded me of the 2006 w/c when we bumped into a group of Cork lads who were following England … more about the opportunity of going to a world cup but it was very surprising to say the least.
bobcar

Post by bobcar »

The Sherriff wrote: The Irish certainly wouldn’t be cheering on us that’s for sure.
I always support the other home nations except when they are playing England. I may get a bit miffed when people don't recognise that teams play differently against England and Wales but I will be cheering on whoever wins out of Wales and Northern Ireland in the next round - I'm not sure of my allegiance for that match yet.

Ireland is a different country but I know so many Irish that I tend to hope they win anyway.
ageing hammer

Post by ageing hammer »

Sheriff good post, no bother mate I know what you mean and I would be lying if I haven't been in bars watching England when a few cheers might go up if England conceded a goal but they are the few mindless twits that all countries have.

Great video here from last night. Randolphino :D

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

how was the game?
ageing hammer

Post by ageing hammer »

warp wrote:how was the game?
My faint recollection of it ( beer ) was that Ireland played very well against a team that rested about 7 players.

Ireland deserved to win the game and showed great determination to keep going looking for that elusive goal after being denied two very clear cut shouts for penalties and missing at least 2 glorious chances. The Italians hit the post but Randolph hardly had to make many saves as they were already through I suppose. The ref was truly shocking and I think he was out of his depth. They didn't turn up against Belgium and showed great guts to try and break down the dogged Italians. Not a classic match to be fair and all that mattered to Ireland was getting the result to go through. Exciting to score with 5 minutes to go though :)