Italy v Republic of Ireland

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Italy v Republic of Ireland

Post by Puff Daddy »

So looking forward to this. In order to give his aging players a rest, Conte is expected to rest up to 9 of his more aging players, so there could be could be a start for Oggy. When you look at Italy's next generation, I think the future looks incredibly bright for them.

---------------------------------------------------------------Sirigu-------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------Barzagli---------------------------------Oggy-----------------------------------------------Darmian-------------

--------------------------------------------------------------Motta----------------------------------------------------------------------

De Sciglio-------------------Sturaro-------------------Bernardeschi---------------------------------Florenzi-------------

------------------------------Zaza-----------------------------------------Immobile------------------------------------------------

Think Italy will line up something like this for this one
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Re: Italy v Republic of Ireland

Post by sendô »

I find it incredible that Darmian plays for both Man Utd and Italy. I've never seen him be anything more than bang average and a liability in any game I've seen him in. Is it just me?

Italy are a far cry from the heady heights of Serie A in the 80s and 90s. I still dont know how they won the World Cup in 2006.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

not sure i'll bother with a half-friendly.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

sendô wrote:I find it incredible that Darmian plays for both Man Utd and Italy. I've never seen him be anything more than bang average and a liability in any game I've seen him in. Is it just me?

Italy are a far cry from the heady heights of Serie A in the 80s and 90s. I still dont know how they won the World Cup in 2006.
It's all about systems, they made the final of the last Euros too don't forget. No matter how bad their league has got or how bad they look on paper Italy will always be there or thereabouts most of the time because tactically they get it right more often that not and make the most out of what they have.
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 322 likes

Post by Het-Field »

The resting of players is always a bit of a red herring when teams like Italy are involved. They will bring 23 players who will be experienced, and starting at their clubs. Prime example is Ogbonna. We know him well, and we know his capabilites, including his heading from dead balls. Zaza and immobile up front is also a quality pairing.

Simple, its win or bust for us. The defeat to Belgium would have been ok, if it were not for the demoralising scoreline. A tight 1-0 defeat would have left us with a lot to shout about. Instead, we are left needing a win, after a fairly poor performance last weekend. No win, we go home. A draw would ensure we return to Ireland with a semi-respectable performance.

In my view, O'Neill needs to drop Ciaran Clark for Richard Keogh, and Stephen Ward for either James McClean or Darryl Murphy. Also revert back to the system employed against Sweden, and against Germany in the qualifiers. The absence of a fully fit Jon Walters is a major absence, as he is a hard man to mark, and a hard player to contain at full throttle.

Id like to think Ireland could pull off another tournament shock, but I think the best we can hope for is a moral boosting draw, and even at that, we are on the plane home.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

Jumby wrote: It's all about systems, they made the final of the last Euros too don't forget. No matter how bad their league has got or how bad they look on paper Italy will always be there or thereabouts most of the time because tactically they get it right more often that not and make the most out of what they have.
Yep, total appearances in WC or Euro finals, Italy have 9, Germany have 14.

England have just the 1.
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 322 likes

Post by Het-Field »

Italy would always be a good shout as a default for the unsure gambler.

Between 1994 and today they have appeared in 2 World Cup Finals, and 2 European Finals.
Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 508 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by Paddy O'Hammer »

Me and my 3 oldest are here in the grounds in Lille stuffing our faces. Any old dirty win will do thank you very much :)

The stadium roof will be closed due forecasted thunderstorms. That should help with the noise - pardon!
Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 508 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by Paddy O'Hammer »

Ogbonna v Randolph. Now behave Ogbonna...
WCpete
Has liked: 1404 likes
Total likes: 3070 likes

Post by WCpete »

Conte does look a humorless fellow.
swisstony
Has liked: 152 likes
Total likes: 60 likes

Post by swisstony »

I'd be 100% behind Ireland if wasn't for Roy Keane and Martin O'Neil. Two people who make them damn hard for me to back. But support them I will, as the girlfriend has roots there, and every other Irish person I can remember meeting has been sound. Why let those two and Andy Townsend ruin it for the rest of them.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Oggy looking the business so far
giantsteps

Post by giantsteps »

Not overly-impressed with Zaza so far, it has to be said.
WCpete
Has liked: 1404 likes
Total likes: 3070 likes

Post by WCpete »

On our feed Stewart Robson said he didn't think he was very good.

He just got pantsed by Randolph.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Ogbonna is such a ringer for Chris Eubank. He really should play wearing a monocle Image
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

Ref's been bought then. Very un-Italian.
WHU_Del
Location: In the words of William Morris: 'I come not from Heaven, but from Essex'.

Post by WHU_Del »

Ogbonna still with the holding at corners that he got away with in the Leicester game.
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Ireland really unlucky here, deserve to be in front a very strong penalty shout turned down.
giantsteps

Post by giantsteps »

WCpete wrote:On our feed Stewart Robson said he didn't think he was very good.

He just got pantsed by Randolph.
Not a massive fan of Stewart Robson but he does work on a lot of Serie A games so he'd of watched him a fair bit I would imagine.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Ireland dominant. Clear pen denied.