England v Iceland....

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

hammer the hamster

Re: England v Iceland....

Post by hammer the hamster »

pharaoh wrote:I agree with most of that except he didn't even pick his best players. Wilshire, Sturridge, Rose? We also changed 6 players from the last game sand 5 before that so how can any team evolve? They looked like 11 players who were randomly dumped on a pitch and told to play, 5 minutes before the game.
But he picked the squad and had a lot of players of the same type. He then chopped and changed, bringing back the ineffectual Sterling, I have said on Facebook a pound note in a light breeze would have beaten his man more often.
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 118 likes
Total likes: 130 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

The Icelanders were terrific though. They ran harder and harried our players non-stop.Their passing was surprisingly good, almost all of their passing over distance had a lovely weight on the ball and their tackling was absolutely outstanding: very clean and perfectly timed.

Fundamentally, they just wanted it more ...... we could do with a few players with a bit a ****ing backbone in England. Wait a minute, we've got them, they play for us! Unfortunately, the useless old **** left them there instead of picking them for the tournament.
FreeWheeling
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by FreeWheeling »

We are proper ****ed, they play cricket too

hammer the hamster

A Sperm whale has been washed up on the Atlantic coast line of France tonight. Joe Hart has rushed to help, but unfortunately the whale slipped under him and slammed onto the rocks.
'stone hammer
Has liked: 784 likes
Total likes: 544 likes

Post by 'stone hammer »

Well Game of Thrones made me feel a bit better. I never want to see Harry Kane near a free kick/corner/football again.

Only player that I thought was really decent throughout all our games was Walker. Gave his all, tried to carry the team on his own; well played.
Coops
Has liked: 449 likes
Total likes: 590 likes

Post by Coops »

After the game Joe Hart was so despondent he sat down, put his head in in hands and missed.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 813 likes
Total likes: 3033 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Congratulations Iceland .

victory always goes to the team that wants it most .
Bobby Moore Out
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 19 likes

Post by Bobby Moore Out »

the pink palermo wrote:Congratulations Iceland .

victory always goes to the team that wants it most .
Indeed. And you showed on Thursday how much you wanted it. ;)
Sauce!
Location: sitting on a bucket on a hamper in the corner of the old wigwam.
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Sauce! »

Interesting fact:

The current population of Iceland is roughly the same as the UK net migration figure for 2015
(approx. 330,000).

Well, not that interesting actually.
BonzosBoots
Has liked: 49 likes
Total likes: 41 likes

Post by BonzosBoots »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote:Alan Pardew...

I know and understand he's not to everyone's liking...but I do think he is what is needed.
FFS
Humbug
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by Humbug »

lots of questions about why Woy did this or that but he didn't know his best team or tactics. He probably didn't really believe the players could deliver what he wanted , while the players didn't believe they could deliver what Woy wanted. Result was chaos!! We needed a manager who could communicate simple things that they could understand and achieve. I reckon professor Woy confused the hell out of them because they all looked mentally shot to pieces.
pharaoh
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by pharaoh »

Humbug wrote:lots of questions about why Woy did this or that but he didn't know his best team or tactics. He probably didn't really believe the players could deliver what he wanted , while the players didn't believe they could deliver what Woy wanted. Result was chaos!! We needed a manager who could communicate simple things that they could understand and achieve. I reckon professor Woy confused the hell out of them because they all looked mentally shot to pieces.
Most of all a manager has to motivate and inspire, especially when things look bad. And as soon as the second Iceland goal went in Roy just looked lost. It reminds me of the last days of Allardyce sat slumped on the bench chewing gum. Maybe Hodgson knew he was gone anyway. But if a player looked over to him during the match he would hardly have felt reassured.
Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 511 likes
Total likes: 166 likes

Post by Paddy O'Hammer »

Coops wrote:After the game Joe Hart was so despondent he sat down, put his head in in hands and missed.
:lol:
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 939 likes
Total likes: 1952 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

It's way deeper than an inept manager.

I was in a packed bar and after Iceland got their equaliser the place was laughing at their own team and at the end almost willing a defeat. Same up and down the country I expect - everyone far more worried about their Club's 3rd reserve goalie than the national team.

It's all our tall poppies and arrogances rolled into one.

We lack spirit. Period.
hammer the hamster

pharaoh wrote:Most of all a manager has to motivate and inspire, especially when things look bad. And as soon as the second Iceland goal went in Roy just looked lost. It reminds me of the last days of Allardyce sat slumped on the bench chewing gum. Maybe Hodgson knew he was gone anyway. But if a player looked over to him during the match he would hardly have felt reassured.
If it had been raining and Woy has a brolly ............................... Nothing changes, just the a different incompetent that the FA select.

It will be Auntie Brenda next. Large compensation payment to Celtic and more embarrassment after we breeze through a weak world cup qualifying group ................. Henderson will be captain ...... I have read my tea leaves and it has all become clear
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 525 likes
Total likes: 1319 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Just had a vivid daydream about a Big Sam England team. Carroll up top with three centre midfielders Noble, Drinkwater and Cattermole. Shawcross at centre back. :lol:

I'd have probably enjoyed watching that team more actually.
pigiron

Post by pigiron »

Credit to Roy for not picking any of our players in his squad. I am truly thankful that none of our players were involved in that debacle.
hammer the hamster

This was a team that by luck avoided Portugal and so they thought to themselves 'we are through to the quarters.' Woy himself gave that impression.

Super Slaven warned about it, Iceland are a good defensive unit and they actually played a lot of this game with 2 up top, so they were probably a bit more open than in the group stages.

I had a bet we would only draw, I can't quite believe that we couldn't even manage that.

France will do them 3 or 4 - 1 maybe even to nil.

And to really piss me off, Rooney is going to carry on
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3687 likes
Total likes: 2411 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

The worst England manager in my lifetime. 5 wasted years.
OFT
Has liked: 3242 likes
Total likes: 1852 likes

Post by OFT »

Positives:-
No West Ham players were damaged during this catastrophe
We're spared the embarrassment of wanting Dimi to play well against England
The notion of "a wise old owl" is exposed as bollox