England v Iceland....

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

bobcar

Re: England v Iceland....

Post by bobcar »

Jumby wrote:I get your point but sides that win the league have to put up with other teams defending all game against them, if the team is good enough they'll deal with it. In tournament football you have to find a way to win,
No argument there. England narrowly failed to do it and so finished runners up whereas Wales did get the goals and so finished top - that's tournament football and it's the uncertainty of football that makes it so interesting. I've no complaints (other than against Hodgson and the team) about the runners up spot or the way teams defended against England I just think that people should recognise the different challenge when Wales played Slovakia and Russia and when England did.
Germany do it, Spain do it
They do it more often than England do which is why they do better in tournaments but they don't always do it, this tournament Germany "failed" against Poland and narrowly beat Northern Ireland. In the qualifiers England consistently beat "lesser" teams intent on defence but as usual in a tournament it is different - so far.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

I think Mark Noble has it right, he said England have played good enough but it is not easy to break down teams who put everyone behind the ball.

If England play a team who are not parking the bus the whole picture could change dramatically.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

Rio wrote:Law of averages suggests we can't keep creating that many chances and not converting them.
law of averages suggests that if your average is one goal every 20 chances, you'll probably need 20 chances to score one goal in your next match :D

all this "they won't let us play" is nonsense.
if you ended up with a team that could attack, your defence would be torn to shreds.
rciron
Has liked: 294 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by rciron »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:If you thought Slovakia sat back with ten behind the ball...

England will need players who aren't afraid to take a shot, because on current evidence there's no way they can play through them.
At distance we cannot hit the target as long as we have a, hole in our arse, . God help us
WCpete
Has liked: 1404 likes
Total likes: 3070 likes

Post by WCpete »

Saw this post on reddit regarding travel from the town of Nice to the stadium. Don't know if anyone here is actually going to the match, but if so it's probably worth a read.

https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comment ... ngland_vs/
Hindley Hammer
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 48 likes

Post by Hindley Hammer »

Out of Europe twice in a week. Who'd have thunk it :D
We'll be back

Post by We'll be back »

If any hammers need a ticket I have a spare will be in Nice on Sunday night and all day Monday. You will have to sit with me though!
Hot Bot

Post by Hot Bot »

Jumby wrote:I get your point but sides that win the league have to put up with other teams defending all game against them, if the team is good enough they'll deal with it. In tournament football you have to find a way to win, Germany do it, Spain do it.......I think England are better than Wales, in theory, but the problem is that England, and the manager in particular, think they're better but when sides play against them as if England are better England struggle to prove this, as we've seen. Two draws and an injury time winner against a side that started the game with one up front, a player released by Reading.
At the same time you have to factor in reputation and situation etc:
Round 1: Russia sat back as they didn't think they could beat us by attacking, and got a draw.
Wales and Slovakia both went for it a bit as they both felt they could win, making it easier for either team to win.
Round 2: Wales had a win, so could afford to sit back and go for a point.
Slovakia and Russia both again thought they could win, so went for a bit, making it easier for either team to win.
Round 3: Slovakia knew a draw was enough, so sat back.
Russia needed to win, so had to go for it, and got picked off.

When looked at that way our inability to win the Russia game kind of undid our entire tournament.
artlin

Post by artlin »

If they do sit back then the tactics have to be different.

We can afford to defend higher. Drop Dier or Wiltshire in to the CHs and push the full backs up. Then as many bodies in the box as possible. This then gets you chances of goals, corners and penalties.

Sitting back outside the bix waiting for that one lucky shot will not do it.

Woy has to take a gamble.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

They may have more geysers than us, but we've got more geezers
Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 508 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by Paddy O'Hammer »

I keep reading "England v Ireland" as the thread title :shock:
dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 404 likes

Post by dodger »

Sounds like Hodgson will play Sterling and Kane, despite both being awful every time they've played this tournament. Does he even watch the matches?

The bloke is a buffoon.
WorcesterWHU
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 107 likes

Post by WorcesterWHU »

dodger wrote:Sounds like Hodgson will play Sterling and Kane, despite both being awful every time they've played this tournament. Does he even watch the matches?

The bloke is a buffoon.
I'm okay with Kane being back in. Sterling I can't agree with, although he's hamstrung himself with a lack of real options out wide. Townsend and Antonio would have provided an alternative.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

We need width and pace to break down a resolute Iceland. Sterling is the best we have in the squad for that. You cant banish someone in a 23 man squad just because he has had a couple of iffy games. The squad is the squad so use it the best way you can. He wasn't even that bad in the first game anyway.
Sterling, Kane and Sturridge. i think that could work well. Only time will tell of course
Ludeksgloves
Has liked: 36 likes
Total likes: 456 likes

Post by Ludeksgloves »

Antonio would have been perfect for this.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

Ludeksgloves wrote:Antonio would have been perfect for this.
I've been thinking that all tournament, a player that just has a go and gives it everything, even when the chips are down, do England actually have a player like that in this squad? Maybe Kane and Vardy but the others often go into hiding when it's not going to plan.
steveherts66

Post by steveherts66 »

Why Sterling??? Just when I thought my disdain for our current manager could get no more he is apparently doing this. The boy is completely shot of all confidence. Maybe he has a vendetta against Sterling from his Liverpool days and Roy's a closet German.
steveherts66

Post by steveherts66 »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:We need width and pace to break down a resolute Iceland. Sterling is the best we have in the squad for that. You cant banish someone in a 23 man squad just because he has had a couple of iffy games. The squad is the squad so use it the best way you can. He wasn't even that bad in the first game anyway.
Sterling, Kane and Sturridge. i think that could work well. Only time will tell of course
Iffy?? A couple?? You've spent to much time living in goonerland if your tag is anything to go by lol
Sterling has been dog :thdn: for a long long time. Shouldn't even be there. I feel sorry for the boy if he is started.
XIRONSX

Post by XIRONSX »

Blows my mind if Sterling starts.
For me I would start with Rashford. In terms of form and technique needed for this type of game he's head and shoulders above Vardy and most ****ing definitely Sterling.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Woy should be aware of the effects of lager, coz, clearly too much is obviously not good for you.

Iceland's wily old boos, Lars Lagerbeck, has an incredibly good record against England. As Sweden's manager, he faced England 6 times, winning twice and drawing the other 4 and he has yet to lose .