Wales vs Belgium Quarter Final Euro 2016

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Re: Wales vs Belgium Quarter Final Euro 2016

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Toulouse_Iron wrote:
Back to the plot. If Wales can raise their game to how they played against Russia, they might squeak into extra time and then it's anyone's game. If they sit back and play FOR extra time, they will get mullered. Up and at 'em!

Toulouse , you're a gentleman ! :thup:

It was a silly thing for the Welsh players to do but I think they've done the England players a favour as instead of hating their own team , the England fans can now turn their attention on the Welsh .

I think the best tactics the Welsh can adopt is what Toulouse has already mentioned - play with the same confidence as they showed against the Russians and stay positive .
The Old Man of Storr

Iron-on-transfer wrote:Gotta say, that video was shameful tbh. You would not see English players doing that for a result involving any of the home nations' exit

I've always previously supported all the home nations (yes even the Scots in World Cups gone by), but I now want that f**king d*ck of a monkey boy Bale and that arrogant tw*t Ramsey to now feel some of our pain that we've experienced this week.

]
I agree it was shameful and I was truly embarrassed to see it as I'm sure were a lot of Welsh people , it was completely uneccessary and very unsportsmanlike .

But you and other England fans on here have now descended to their level and are no better than them .
The Old Man of Storr

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote:3-0 to Belgium...

Hazard and Be Bruyne to leave that **** Neil Taylor chasing shadows.

What a strange attitude for an Italian fan to take , I would be concentrating on the Germans if I were you .
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Tomos.

It is nothing personal. I don't particularly have a problem with Wales...I don't happen to like many of your players though. Taylor, Ramsey, Bale...A lot of that comes from club football...

I also have a rather large bet on Belgium to win the whole thing...
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

Iron-on-transfer wrote:I'm not 'getting all bitchy' towards anyone here..or upset or surprised that no one likes us..I'm just on a forum stating what I feel and what I also believe many England fans will now feel after seeing that video. That's all. I think I'm allowed to do that. Me and every England fan I know were all really pleased for Wales when they qualified for the Euros.
if you were happy they qualified and because of that video you now hope they go, then you were a little bit surprised by it :wink:
but that's not the point, of course you're allowed to do that... as i am (and yes, i'm taking the piss a little bit too... Image)

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote:Warp, had that been the Albania team celebrating the Italy exit...I dare say Etrit Berisha and Ledian Memushaj would be finding new clubs. We all remember what happened to Ahn Jung Hwan for scoring a goal against the country where he played his club football.
come on now, it's Gaucci we're talking about here... hardly representative!
i don't think there would be many problems for the albanians.

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote:It has nothing to do with who likes England, it's about the likes of Ramsey etc showing a complete lack of respect for the country where they earn their living and for the thousands of fans who turn up to support him at club level every week.
or just for a football team... to say it's disrespectful for a whole country is over the top in my opinion.

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote:They've been mouthing off about England for most of the tournament, and then follow it up with this. I think they are more obsessed with England than anything else to do with the tournament. The funny thing is they couldn't beat them...
yep, they certainly seem to have a chip on their shoulder, i find it quite funny.
The Old Man of Storr

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote:Tomos.

It is nothing personal. I don't particularly have a problem with Wales...I don't happen to like many of your players though. Taylor, Ramsey, Bale...A lot of that comes from club football...

I also have a rather large bet on Belgium to win the whole thing...

Fair enough , I'd like to wish you good luck with your bet but I can't bring myself to do it somehow :)

Hope Italy do well though , I've always had a soft spot for the Italians .
il_martello_di_genovesi

Talk of Jan Vertonghen having a sprained ankle. Vermaelen suspended.

Two of Denayer/J Lukaku/Ciman likely to start.

Unconfirmed, but a decent Belgian football writer has said this.
Iron-on-transfer
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 260 likes

Post by Iron-on-transfer »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:I agree it was shameful and I was truly embarrassed to see it as I'm sure were a lot of Welsh people , it was completely uneccessary and very unsportsmanlike .

But you and other England fans on here have now descended to their level and are no better than them .
I really respect your mature attitude. You seem one of the few on here who can at least partly see why some of us English found this simply OTT. What I do find funny though is I've stated I don't want them to win. How is that descending to their level exactly? I'm just a guy who'll be sitting with my family watching a game on tv and siding with another team. Every other nation it seems can do that apart from us, because we are then somehow being 'small-minded'. I won't be jumping on a table and screaming at the top of my voice, doing the conga and filming it to put it on social media.

Are you seriously telling me that if you saw any team do what they did in response to a Wales result, then you wouldn't think to yourself "well, I hope they go out in the next round". What I do find more unbelievable than professional players showing that level of stupidity is the fact that some of their fans think they wouldn't feel the same about it if it happened the other way around. I'm not raging btw...I believe I'm just reacting normally like most fans would....maybe it's just me. :wink:
djoe

Post by djoe »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote:Talk of Jan Vertonghen having a sprained ankle. Vermaelen suspended.

Two of Denayer/J Lukaku/Ciman likely to start.

Unconfirmed, but a decent Belgian football writer has said this.

Vertonghens tournament is over. Probably out for 4 months thats the latest news.
Iron-on-transfer
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 260 likes

Post by Iron-on-transfer »

Back on team topics...what I am quite surprised about is the fact that apparently Williams is fit and will start.

That shoulder injury looked serious to me and reminded me very much of Bryan Robson's injury in the World Cup of 1986. I seem to remember Robson was carrying a previous injury into that game and then went to ground in what appeared to be a fairly innocuous challenge and that was it then, tournament over.
paulthebubble

Post by paulthebubble »

In the Guardian predictor, I picked Belgium v Italy for the final and Wales to make the QF. Not entirely convinced by the Belgians. They don't seem totally united and the 4-0 score against Hungary flattered them. I think it was 1-0 until about the 70th min and Hungary had some chances and pressured the Belgians. They do have talent with , Mertens, Carasco, DeBruyne and Hazard. They did make a good move in dropping Fellaini the red card walking. I see a tight game and Wales has a chance as the 2 CBs are out for Belgium.
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

I can see Wales winning this, really can
aitchayell
Total likes: 1 like

Post by aitchayell »

I used to support all the home nations. If England were eliminated but other home nations survived I would transfer my allegiance to that survivor be it Wales, Scotland, or Northern Ireland. It seems that the same is not true for Wales and Scotland, particularly. So, sadly I have changed. They don't support us. I don't support them. Come on Belgium.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

I live closer to Belgium than I do to Wales, so Belgium
The Old Man of Storr

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote:Tomos.

By that reasoning then , Ash you must have really hated watching England - what are your feelings towards Danny Rose , Harry Kane , Dele Alli , Eric Dier , Gary Cahill and Jack Wilshere ?

Come to think of it , what about Alderweireld , Vertonghen , Fellaini , ex Arsenal chap Vermaelen , Romelu Lukaku who constantly scores against West Ham or that Batshuayi fella who chose Chelsea over West Ham ?
At least James Collins is West Ham .
The Old Man of Storr

Puff Daddy wrote:I live closer to Belgium than I do to Wales, so Belgium

:lol:
The Old Man of Storr

There's a debate going on in The Wright Stuff on Channel 5 about whether the people from England should get behind Wales tonight - just a couple of phone-ins , one lad from the Wirral said you should get behind the Welsh , another from Durham said that 95% of England will be supporting the Belgians .

As I have already said I think it was a big mistake for the Welsh players to behave in the way they did but it's done now and everyone must make up their mind who they would prefer to win .

Enjoy Euro 2016 , lads and lasses and remember it's just a game after all .
Hammer1972
Has liked: 57 likes
Total likes: 213 likes

Post by Hammer1972 »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: As I have already said I think it was a big mistake for the Welsh players to behave in the way they did but it's done now and everyone must make up their mind who they would prefer to win .
I fully agree.

Belgium.
il_martello_di_genovesi

Tomos...

That 95% comment from that guy is rubbish. There is no way 95% of English people will be cheering on Belgium. There is a lot more warmth and support from England towards other home nations and Ireland than the other way. I would imagine the majority will be supporting Wales. What may have annoyed some are your players for their celebration and the way the likes of Bale and Ramsey have made non stop comments. Then you look at Coleman, Saunders and Hartson for example who has given England nothing but respect. Why can't the Welsh players who earn their money in England and have 30,000+ English fans cheering them on at club level do the same? Why did Bale have to open his mouth about England at every opportunity? I know a lot of Spurs fans who have lost a lot of respect for him because of that. We are only talking about 23 Welsh players here anyway, not the general population of Wales, who in my experience have always been kind and friendly.

I told you already, I have a large bet on Belgium to win the competition (or at least make the final) so that's my reasoning for wanting them.

Should you get through tonight, then good luck.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

I have no idea why any England fan would want Wales to win tonight unless they had family connections.

Much the same as I have no idea how any England fan can be offended by that video of the Wales players.

We are rivals and that's the fun of it.

Like Collins said today, "come on mate, it is banter". Although he did sound like he had a chip on his shoulder about England assuming they are better. Maybe he is right. I like to think he was actually celebrating the fact that we made fools of ourselves for not bringing Nobes, Cressy and Antoni-o-o-o

:wink: