Wales vs Portugal Euro 2016 Semi Final .

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304

The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2599 likes
Total likes: 1730 likes

Wales vs Portugal Euro 2016 Semi Final .

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Wales have beaten Belgium to go through to the semi finals of the European Championship , the best Wales
side of my generation .
We face Portugal in the most important game of Welsh Football History .

UEFA EURO Semi Final

Kick Off 20.00
Wednesday 6th July
Stade Des Lumieres

Cymru Am Byth !!
Last edited by The Old Man of Storr on Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Robbie
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Re: Wales vs Portugal Euro 2016 Semi Final .

Post by Robbie »

Wales will win this.
they smell like team spirit.....!
ageing hammer
Has liked: 480 likes
Total likes: 1470 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Ramsey is a big loss, but a semi final is all about the best team on the day, I think you have every chance Tomos.

Wales could have thrown in the towel after going behind but they had guts and determination to keep believing and that played a big part in getting them through.

They have a great chance and if they play like tonight again Ronaldo could end up going home in a neck brace from all his head shaking in disbelief. :)
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 606 likes
Total likes: 562 likes

Post by vietnammer »

You've got your ritual now TOMOS. Tidy the kitchen up, load the dishwasher. Don't turn the telly on. Come on Wales.
The Old Man of Storr

Ramsay and Davies will be two big losses but we are a good team as opposed to having good players - I've always believed if you can get good team spirit you're half way there .
The Old Man of Storr

vietnammer wrote:You've got your ritual now TOMOS. Tidy the kitchen up, load the dishwasher. Don't turn the telly on. Come on Wales.

You should see me when West Ham are on the box , more rituals than a coven of witches ! :D
sjb958
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by sjb958 »

Portugal have been absolutely dire in all of their games so far this tournament. Wales should win this imo.
The Old Man of Storr

sjb958 wrote:Portugal have been absolutely dire in all of their games so far this tournament. Wales should win this imo.
I think ' dire ' is a bit harsh , they've not been fluid they've had to battle quite hard in their last two games to be fair , they've shown spirit to get to the semis , beating Croatia and Poland was no mean feat .
Wales will have to be on top form and replace Ramsey and Davies , having said that I feared Belgium and we beat them so anything is possible .
sjb958
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by sjb958 »

Maybe. But to me against Croatia for instance they just didn't look like they were going for win at all. Just looking to get to penalties. Were a bit better vs Poland but not too much. Remember they have got to the final without winning a single game in 90 mins. To get 3 draws against Iceland, Hungary and Austria in the group stage is pretty damn poor in my opinion.

I watched them live in St Etienne vs Iceland and they were really quite poor in that game.
Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 505 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by Paddy O'Hammer »

vietnammer wrote:You've got your ritual now TOMOS. Tidy the kitchen up, load the dishwasher. Don't turn the telly on. Come on Wales.
I'll DHL over my table. You'will fit under it.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1165 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

I think Wales will win this, but I do fear the one team they won't beat, is Germany, who themselves may not make the final. Should they not, I would not bet against them getting the better of either of the other two
The Old Man of Storr

Puff Daddy wrote:I think Wales will win this, but I do fear the one team they won't beat, is Germany, who themselves may not make the final. Should they not, I would not bet against them getting the better of either of the other two
You said they would lose to Northern Ireland , Russia and Belgium and now you tell me that we'll win against Portugal ? Aaargghhhhhhhhh !
It's the kiss of Lawro !! :D
The Old Man of Storr

I think you're right though , Puff , I see Wales 1 Portugal 0 with Gareth Bale scoring the only goal .
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

I am a little concerned about Ronaldo, he is a little bit good!

We are insanely good at the minute so whoever we play we'll give a game, I see weaknesses all over the park in that Portugal team but they beat Croatia and are still unbeaten so they need to be respected, plus they have the best player in the World playing for them.

Wales to nick it and the whole World to suddenly realise that something special could be about to happen.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1179 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

I'll be watching this game in the hope, the appetite for seeing James Collins getting the potential opportunity to smash Ronaldo into the stands.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1165 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:I think you're right though , Puff , I see Wales 1 Portugal 0 with Gareth Bale scoring the only goal .

Ronaldo has to put his stamp on this tournament some time, but I don't think he is necessarily the one you have to watch. The one I do think could rail road your chances is Queresma.He is one helluva of an impact sub and you are without Ramsay. Having said all this, I still think you'll do it
The Old Man of Storr

Puff Daddy wrote:

Ronaldo has to put his stamp on this tournament some time, but I don't think he is necessarily the one you have to watch. The one I do think could rail road your chances is Queresma.He is one helluva of an impact sub and you are without Ramsay. Having said all this, I still think you'll do it
Ronaldo has been involved though they've tended to play him up front on his own quite a lot in this competition , I've been very impressed with the young lad Renato Sanches , only 18 but wins everything in the centre of the pitch , he's going to become one huge player in the future if his career carries on the same with Bayern Munich . He'll be up against Joe Allen who for me has been the outstanding Welsh player of the tournament , he's our Nobby Stiles - replacing Aaron Ramsey will be difficult as will be the case with Ben Davies .
Lukaku had Kanu in his pocket for most of the Belgium match but it only takes a second for a match to change , Vokes rose up like Geoff Hurst of old to score the 3rd , if we could somehow find a place for both of them against Portugal it may be to our advantage -
Here's what Jack Collison has to say about Wales' chances http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/34665078" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

Portugal making sounds that we play a lot of balls in the air. We've played some brilliant football this tournament and are the top scorers, there's more to Wales than balls in the air and physical football, as Belgium found out :D
The Old Man of Storr

Jumby wrote:Portugal making sounds that we play a lot of balls in the air. We've played some brilliant football this tournament and are the top scorers, there's more to Wales than balls in the air and physical football, as Belgium found out :D
Ronaldo wasn't very kind towards the Icelanders either .
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1294 likes
Total likes: 676 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Portugal don't look too scary to me. I'm a bit concerned at the loss of the likes of Ramsey - if he was playing I'd really fancy Wales for this one. Even without him I still think Wales have a decent chance. I really hope they do it.