Worst international tournament ever?

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304

Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Re: Worst international tournament ever?

Post by Jumby »

Dyl wrote:2010 was basically unwatchable. The football was dire and the ****ing moronic locals and their vuvuzelas removed any potential enjoyment.

This tournament has been disappointing, but not on the scale of South Africa.
Yeah 2010 was rubbish and African football has gone backwards since it, only Algeria are any good now.

I've enjoyed this Euros, it's a real shame that we were robbed of Ronaldo in the final.
neil_d
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by neil_d »

2010 was awful. Even more so as I was so looking forward to it.

I've rather enjoyed this one. Helped by now winning my prediction league among friends and dream team league.
WCpete
Has liked: 1396 likes
Total likes: 3055 likes

Post by WCpete »

Poop. That's my final verdict on this Euros. There were a few great moments, and a lot of poop.
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 127 likes
Total likes: 329 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

A large number of games were dull, perhaps because teams merely had to avoid defeat to qualify for the knock out stages but there were some positives as far as the refereeing was concerned..
Very few red cards, less diving and penalty area grappling than we see in England, unfussy refereeing that allowed games to flow, and much less hounding of officials.

Otherwise, not a great tournament but much better than South Africa.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1165 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Alan Shearer summed it up perfectly in his final of this tournament. 'UEFA made money in extending the competition to 24 nations and you want to see the best players turn up and thrill us with their skills, but a lot of the matches were poor'
szola
Has liked: 584 likes
Total likes: 343 likes

Post by szola »

WCpete wrote:Poop. That's my final verdict on this Euros. There were a few great moments, and a lot of poop.
The same can be said about any large tournament, in any sport.

A new nation came out on top, a brilliant athlete finally won something with his country, new nations in the knock-out stages, history not repeating itself in the latter stages.

Anyone thinking the Euros have been significantly better is either supporting a team that didn't do well, or doesn't remember the longer tournaments.

Denmark or Greece winning was the :thdn: ? Or the Italian - French final? Or Spain doing what Spain always does? Yes, much better.
Whitters
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by Whitters »

I've enjoyed it and the enlarged format gave countries which would struggle to make the finals a go at a tournament, which has been very refreshing to see new fans and teams.

There have been a few poor games, but many of these involved the usual heavyweights so I don't see how the new boys are really to blame - the Italy vs Germany game was especially poor, barring the comedy penalty shoot out.

While I appreciate that some 3rd place teams such as Slovakia were defending just to get the point they needed, it also meant that some of the last games were competitive, for example the Albania vs Romania game could have been a dead rubber but the Albanians really went for the 3 points and it was a very enjoyable game, so swings and roundabouts here.

Nothing ever though really replaces the tournaments of my youth - unknown, exotic sounding players & teams, slightly ropey quality pictures and sound making it seem like it was played thousands of miles away rather than a pin sharp picture which could be from just down the road, and the lack of other live games on TV other than the FA cup final made it a rare chance to watch loads of live games.
BonzosBoots
Has liked: 45 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by BonzosBoots »

Dreadful final befitting a dreadful tournament.

Players looked tired. There were examples in the final where players could not make simple 2 yard square passes.

For a team to win the tournament with 1 win in 90 mins over 7 games has to tell you there is a problem with the format and entertainment on offer.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 480 likes
Total likes: 1470 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

I think it's definitely up there with the poorest tournaments we have seen.

The standard of football is in decline all over the world, I don't know the answer but maybe too many games, too much coaching out natural ability from young players , I don't know :?
WCpete
Has liked: 1396 likes
Total likes: 3055 likes

Post by WCpete »

Everyone at this tournament looked exhausted, Too much football these days.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2594 likes
Total likes: 1729 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:Tournaments are only great when you're winning - is there a season or a year that goes by without someone mentioning the 1966 World Cup for instance ?

I'm sorry , lads and lasses , I realise that most of you on here are English and I honestly love you all to bits , each and every one of you but listen to the BBC after this competition is over and see which footballing country is mentioned the most , listen to the Sky pundits , they will be discussing the new England Manager's job or why England failed so miserably , there won't be a mention of Scotland , Wales or Northern Ireland -
The BBC which goes out to all 4 corners of the British Isles - all they ever mention is the England international team or the England international cricket team , we have to wait until the Regional News comes on before any of our respective countries are given a mention -

The Old Man of Storr

[quote="The Old Man of Storr"][quote="The Old Man of Storr"]Tournaments are only great when you're winning - is there a season or a year that goes by without someone mentioning the 1966 World Cup for instance ?

I'm sorry , lads and lasses , I realise that most of you on here are English and I honestly love you all to bits , each and every one of you but listen to the BBC after this competition is over and see which footballing country is mentioned the most , listen to the Sky pundits , they will be discussing the new England Manager's job or why England failed so miserably , there won't be a mention of Scotland , Wales or Northern Ireland -

Well , it didn't take long !! - I said ' Wait until this competition is over , it won't be long before the BBC mention the England International team in some context or other ' - and today , just hours after Euro 2016 , the BBC are talking about 1966 and how it happened minute by minute . :)
They've even managed to find enough money to pay Geoff Hurst to bring in the ball and say something profound .

This is the BBC that goes out to all 4 corners of Britain , there's no getting away from it - there is a definite bias towards England and the England Football Team at the BBC - I'm not saying it's wrong to mention them when they are playing but EVERY week ?? It's a drip , drip , drip feeding of England to the whole Nation I don't like , - give air minutes to all Nations of the British Isles or none .
Last edited by The Old Man of Storr on Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Old Man of Storr

Well I made a right hash of that . :)
The Old Man of Storr

The Old Man of Storr wrote:
I realise that most of you on here are English and I honestly love you all to bits , each and every one of you but listen to the BBC after this competition is over and see which footballing country is mentioned the most , listen to the Sky pundits , they will be discussing the new England Manager's job

The BBC which goes out to all 4 corners of the British Isles - all they ever mention is the England international team or the England international cricket team , we have to wait until the Regional News comes on before any of our respective countries are given a mention -

If Wales by some miracle win the 2016 European Championship I for one will be mentioning it for years to come . Every day .

World Cup 1966 mentioned again today .

OK - I realise it's the 50th Anniversary of England winning the World Cup so I'll let this one go .

Henceforth , every time 1966 is mentioned in the Media - I will bring up WALES 3 vs Belgium 0 - seems fair . :)
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 754 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

fjthegrey wrote:Euro 2008 was excellent. Its just most people didn't watch it because we didn't qualify.
That's the best international tournament I've ever seen. So many classic games.