The Final - Portugal vs France (Payet)

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1165 likes

Re: The Final - Portugal vs France (Payet)

Post by Puff Daddy »

:clap:
Mayday wrote:Things we have learned:

1. Portugal are actually a better team without Ronaldo.

2. France, despite the talent at their disposal, have unquestionably underachieved.

3. Umtiti is quality.

4. Portugal have unquestionably overachieved.

5. Tournament finals are almost without fail, dull affairs.

..... and we should sign Rui Patricio
OFT
Has liked: 2953 likes
Total likes: 1745 likes

Post by OFT »

POP POP POP Robson wrote:Ronaldo was still trying to grab the attention and take credit from the sidelines.
I'm still looking for John Terry
beckton

Post by beckton »

pharaoh wrote: they can hit on the break

Obviously.

But you'd have expected them to shut up shop the way they played the rest of the game.
nickkarkie
Has liked: 70 likes
Total likes: 173 likes

Post by nickkarkie »

Nobody can criticise Portugal, they defended brilliantly when it mattered, they played to their strengths and kept their shape in every game apart from Hungary game. When it's your year it's your year.

Germany had never beaten Italy in a major tournament and they did it, Germany had knocked France out in every tournament game they had played but France beat them and France had won every tournament on home soil but Portugal won, it's football
smuts
Has liked: 1493 likes
Total likes: 1429 likes

Post by smuts »

Het-Field wrote:
They wouldn't have scored even with Payet. They threw it away, and Payet's strongest influence had been in the group stages.
He was about the only french midfielder who wasn't a kick and run merchant.

Pogba 100 million? So he's worth about 85 million more than Kouyate?
Belgian Iron
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 45 likes

Post by Belgian Iron »

By the way, I could not get my head around that sub Gignac for Giroud......he almost decided the game in the last minute. But he has been **** every time he came on IMHO. I would have brought Martial on instead in the centre....or Lacazette....oh wait.
kalashnikov

Post by kalashnikov »

Congrats to Portugal. It's really nice for Ronaldo.

Deschamps really hasn't made the best decisions this tournament. Sissoko made some good driving runs but never should have started, none of his runs created any end product. Griezeman should have come off instead of Payet, Pogba should have come off within the 90 as well.

Not having a viable option of Giroud up front is baffling. Gignac is well off the pace of international football now.

For all Umiti has looked good he needed to close down Eder's shot. Stood off far to far for a CB with his pace. Thought dropping both Rami and Kante was very harsh.

Sad for Payet, wanted to see him get a medal. If France get rid of Deschamps they have a great shot at Russia.
Last edited by kalashnikov on Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 324 likes

Post by Het-Field »

smuts wrote:
He was about the only french midfielder who wasn't a kick and run merchant.

Pogba 100 million? So he's worth about 85 million more than Kouyate?
Payet was nowhere near as effective after the Group Stages. He was outshone by other French Players, and his withdrawal, while dubious, was certainly not a game losing decision. Some of France's best chances on the day were created without him.

Essentially, I'm glad that the spotlight may be off him, especially as I want him with us in the new season. But that doesn't mean I have to fawn over him at these Championships because I should as a WHU fan. It is just an objective assertion.

Totally agree on Pgba though.
nickkarkie
Has liked: 70 likes
Total likes: 173 likes

Post by nickkarkie »

Kante is a much better central midfielder than Pogba for me, closing down tirelessly and wins the ball back high, Pogba rarely dominates a game.

I also don't agree with shearer than Lloris had no chance. He was too far to his left and that's why he couldn't get back to the right and as someone mentioned, Umtiti should have closed down Eder as he got past koscielny
Gep

Post by Gep »

Played Portugal!!

Rio needs more cocoa butter on his face tonight.
Harry Hound
Location: "If you don't know the game, then you're still part of it"
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Harry Hound »

Playing Payet on the wing kept him contained too easily.

Still no worries having France win would have been infernal.
Gep

Post by Gep »

Juventus would be laughing with £100m in their pocket for Pogba.
westhamdave1

Post by westhamdave1 »

I had Portugal in the work sweepstake. Cost £10 Payout £160.

Happy Days ☺☺
ironsjh

Post by ironsjh »

Pogba never brings his A game for France, complete different player for Juventus. Very similar to criticisms leveled at both Cavani and to a lesser extent, Messi.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

well done Portugal, underdog, against the home team, losing their best player within the first 20 minutes. and still winning it!
overchuffed.
it's crazy in the streets right now :scarfer:

eder man of the match, changed the game, gave Portugal chances to breath and scored the winner.

smuts wrote:Pogba 100 million? So he's worth about 85 million more than Kouyate?
yes.
Claretdave
Harry's estranged lovechild
Location: Congratulations you have just met the LME (Liberal Metropolitan Elite).

Post by Claretdave »

Interesting that Ronaldo said "you won't win anything playing like that" to Iceland's men behind the ball defensive approach, yet Portugal did........

Although France were flat, poor move to take of Dimi.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2406 likes
Total likes: 2614 likes

Post by sendô »

France weren't at their best, but Portugal showed again that in the modern game a solid defence and organisation whilst looking to score on the break and/or via set pieces is more effective than nicey nicey tippy tappy football.
Harry Hound
Location: "If you don't know the game, then you're still part of it"
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Harry Hound »

kalashnikov wrote:
Not having a viable option of Giroud up front is baffling. Gignac is well off the pace of international football now. .
Supposedly he's been off the pace and overweight for a while and the French fans are known to take the piss out of him with the chant "une Big Mac pour Gignac" no translation needed 8-)
wolf359
Has liked: 1558 likes
Total likes: 1703 likes

Post by wolf359 »

http://metro.co.uk/2016/07/11/riots-bro ... l-5998981/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?

I hope the usual comments about 'the dark days' and threats of further punishments will be rolled out as for Russia and England.
Hot Bot

Post by Hot Bot »

Portugal deserved, did a Greece - but it won't be portrayed that way in the media as they're a 'real' footballing nation.

I actually gained a lot of respect for Ronaldo in this tournament, showed himself to be a real leader - the Moutinho penalty and basically replacing the manager last night, really enjoyed it. When he hangs up his boots I reckon Portugal should make him manager with someone more tactical as assistant.

Deschamps clearly said two words to Sissoko before the game - 'shop window'. Despite that the midfield three was unbalanced. There was no one there in the Carrick mould to just keep it ticking over, too many athletes without enough finesse. Even worse with Coman on for Dimitri, as Griezmann was then the only player comfortable at short passes.

Umtiti looks very good, but was partly at fault for the goal, as he should have closed him down, while Koscielny went too tight too early, and Lloris maybe should have got there.