The Final - Portugal vs France (Payet)

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304

giantsteps

Re: The Final - Portugal vs France (Payet)

Post by giantsteps »

Dull game.

Sissoko played well I thought, hope that game can engineer him a move away from Newcastle. I'd like him here but a bit too similar to Kouyate and probably not as good.

Pogba played too deep and was largly ineffective.

Deschamps made a huge error in taking Payet off for Coman. France looked very flat after he went off. They'll be rueing not taking Lacazette, Benzema or Gameiro for sure. Giroud and Martial both had poor tournaments, it was quite comedic how bad Giroud was at times.

Big talking point is the Payet challenge on Ronaldo. Strong challange - yes, intent to foul - probably not. It was a bit of a collision and they banged knees together. They way people are harping on about it on social media really is cringeworthy.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 934 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

I thought the payet sub was a poor decision and then to take guirod off for someone who has looked awful was questionable

I'd of taken guirod off. Moved payet to the middle. Griesmen up top and brought coeman down left
szola
Has liked: 584 likes
Total likes: 344 likes

Post by szola »

Both Coman and Gignac made good contributions after coming on. Very harsh to point the finger at the players.

The gameplan though was hard to comprehend.

France made most of their play on the left. Besides trying to combine a few times, there wasn't much in the way of creativity. With Portugal sitting back after a quater of an hour has passed, why not pump the fullbacks up high, why not bring in two tall attackers, so the one you have isn't always guarded by the best centrehalf in the tournament....

Both were very predictable, but it was always Portugal who made the early changes that the French never were able to respond to. Very poor match by Deschamps. Overchuffed they didn't manage to win the competition.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

I actually really enjoyed seeing Portugal win, I just wish Ronaldo could have not got injured, I think he would have lit the game up.
Antwerp_Lad
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 39 likes

Post by Antwerp_Lad »

Fair play to Portugal for playing to their strength, but I'm kinda glad it's all over now.

Dull tournament with a few exceptions, glad club football is back soon.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1165 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Antwerp_Lad wrote:Fair play to Portugal for playing to their strength, but I'm kinda glad it's all over now.

Dull tournament with a few exceptions, glad club football is back soon.

I think that is how we all feel.Let's do it all over again in 2 years time. Meanwhile, it's over and out for me on this thread
ageing hammer
Has liked: 480 likes
Total likes: 1470 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

I am pleased Portugal won, they have never won anything ever before and imo after the wonderful career Ronaldo has had he deserved to have won a major international trophy and I am delighted for such a great player that he has won this. :)
paulthebubble

Post by paulthebubble »

I was hoping Italy would lift the trophy but I'm also pleased that Portugal won. We were in Portugal for Euro 2004 for the first round and the Portuguese people were unbelievably filoxenoumenoi (friendly to strangers). When Greece won we were hoping that Portugal would also someday win a big tournament.
FORCA
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2572 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I think we hold payet in higher esteem than France do. We always look for him when we have the ball as we know hes the best we have for creating chances or whipping a good cross in. For France, hes just another player.
Eggs'n'nuts
Has liked: 151 likes
Total likes: 332 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

Burnley Hammer wrote:I think we hold payet in higher esteem than France do. We always look for him when we have the ball as we know hes the best we have for creating chances or whipping a good cross in. For France, hes just another player.
Which just goes to show the gulf in quality of national teams/squads.