Who’s going to win the World Cup?

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Re: Who’s going to win the World Cup?

Post by e17 »

bubbles1966 wrote:The more I watch this, the more I think we have a chance.
No idea you were Belgian
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2426 likes
Total likes: 2637 likes

Post by sendô »

We have a chance, but bloody hell our players will all have to be at their best, will have to gel like no England team has in donkeys years, and have a fair amount of luck too.

No one team really looking great so far.
e17

Post by e17 »

Would anyone be really surprised if it was still Germany lifting it?
e17

Post by e17 »

sendô wrote:We have a chance, but bloody hell our players will all have to be at their best, will have to gel like no England team has in donkeys years, and have a fair amount of luck too.

No one team really looking great so far.
If we get to the semis with this lot it would make the reaction to 90 look minuscule I reckon

Even the QF and he’s something major to build on
sendô

Post by sendô »

I think Southgate has picked all the youngsters on purpose with an eye on Euro 2020 at home.

If we get out of the groups and lose to one of the good teams no-one will really be surprised.

The risk for him is if we beat Tunisia and Panama then draw with Belgium - expectation will rocket.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

The QF's always looked like the end of the road because that was when we were supposed to meet Germany or Brazil. Having seen both teams, we're quite capable of beating them.

The best two teams in the tournament are Spain and Ronaldo.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Uruguay. Nobody talks about them, rubbish in their first match, but they still got the win. They will be rubbish in their second match too, but they will then top their group on 6 points, probably without conceding a single goal, play a second string of players in the final group game and plot the downfall of their last 16 opponents and then their odds will drop as people do start to talk about them and all the rest begin to take notice. That's how they do it
Harry Hound
Location: "If you don't know the game, then you're still part of it"
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Harry Hound »

Puff Daddy wrote:Uruguay. Nobody talks about them, rubbish in their first match, but they still got the win. They will be rubbish in their second match too, but they will then top their group on 6 points, probably without conceding a single goal, play a second string of players in the final group game and plot the downfall of their last 16 opponents and then their odds will drop as people do start to talk about them and all the rest begin to take notice. That's how they do it
That's until Suarez bites a chunk out of an opponents leg, get's sent home in disgrace and they fall apart. 8-)
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

Uruguay have a b*stard route through the tournament. Spain or Portugal in the second round and France in the quarters. If they win the cup they’ll have definitely earned it.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

James P wrote:Uruguay have a b*stard route through the tournament. Spain or Portugal in the second round and France in the quarters. If they win the cup they’ll have definitely earned it.
What you say is true, but they can stifle opponents and deny them space and yes, Spain and Portugal will be major threats to their progress, but they also have a very unsung, wily old fox of a manager who has been there forever and there is no doubt his players absolutely love him and definitely play for him. I would take them to beat France and if they have to, they will be perfectly happy to take anybody to penalties
Estuary
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by Estuary »

bubbles1966 wrote:The QF's always looked like the end of the road because that was when we were supposed to meet Germany or Brazil. Having seen both teams, we're quite capable of beating them.

The best two teams in the tournament are Spain and Ronaldo.
And Mexico are worth an each way after yesterday.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

Estuary wrote:
And Mexico are worth an each way after yesterday.
I don't think so. They have announced themselves to the world now, but will come unstuck the moment they meet a stodgy team who have done their homework on them, who will dictate the pace of the game and deny them the space to cause their havoc on the break
sendô

Post by sendô »

I'd just like to point out that with the way results have gone so far, and if that trend carries on with key teams not quite performing as expected (aka Argentina and the Germans), then England might well end up with a reasonable path to the semis if we come runner up in our group.

If we win it then it doesn't look so nice.
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

sendô wrote:I'd just like to point out that with the way results have gone so far, and if that trend carries on with key teams not quite performing as expected (aka Argentina and the Germans), then England might well end up with a reasonable path to the semis if we come runner up in our group.

If we win it then it doesn't look so nice.
And we're the last group to complete our first round games so we'll know which teams are on which side of the draw when we kick off. Could have a slightly awkward situation where the team that loses will end up on the more comfortable side of the draw.
MintChocChip

Post by MintChocChip »

As always with England, my concern is our approach to the game and the type of players we produce.

We seem to tend toward stiffness and anxiety - instead of the fluid, two-footed, possession football of the top teams.

Having said that, I think we are moving in the right direction - and it is not only those types of teams who win trophies.

I really like Southgate and the vibe around this group of players.

Before the tournament started I believed we had a chance - and these opening games have done nothing to change that. Let's see how we look in the next two. :thup:
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

I suspect it’ll be the side that cheats the best.
wilf
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by wilf »

Cynical as ever Dan but also krekt.......
the celestial insect

Post by the celestial insect »

Belgium.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Russia
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:Russia
Rumblings from USADA that FIFA haven’t been running PED tests adequately. Stats show that Russian players have run more than every other team so far, which could be due to lots of things. Or it could be due to the fact that Russia likes to drug its sportsmen.