Who’s going to win the World Cup?

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Re: Who’s going to win the World Cup?

Post by e17 »

I don’t believe for a minute that people originally under the employment of Comrade Blattervic might not be checking the wee wee of Russia’s brave and suddenly superior footballers.

It’ll have gone too far when they cut to that Russian Dorris in the crowd and she’s grown a massive beard and a willy.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

e17 wrote:I don’t believe for a minute that people originally under the employment of Comrade Blattervic might not be checking the wee wee of Russia’s brave and suddenly superior footballers.

It’ll have gone too far when they cut to that Russian Dorris in the crowd and she’s grown a massive beard and a willy.
I think it's something to do with Putin
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

e17 wrote:I don’t believe for a minute that people originally under the employment of Comrade Blattervic might not be checking the wee wee of Russia’s brave and suddenly superior footballers.

She will be singing in next years Eurovision then
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

We are.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

We've got a good chance of going far, quarters or even semis dare I say it, but we'll come up against a good team and one of our keeper/defenders will make an error that gifts a goal that we'll lose to.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

England are always very much like West Ham, to me. We ALWAYS let the other team have chances & if we survive them, it's more through luck than playing well.
There were some really good things about the first game.
Pickford: Fairly safe all game. Nearly got a full hand on the pen, maybe a taller gk, would have.
Maguire: Always worries me. Lucky to get away with some errors but got forward well, second half.
Stones: Fantastic header for the goal & fantastic save by their keeper.
Walker: I quite like him but what an idiot the way he gave the pen away.
Henderson: Never really thought much of him before but was truly superb in this game. Should be captain.
Alli: Got a knock. I was really surprised he stayed on, as long as he did.
Lingard: Had some chances, needs to put them away.
Young: Took a good corner-kick for the first goal.
Trippier: Really impressed with this lad, all game. Took the corner for the second goal.
Kane: Took his two goals very well, especially the second.
Sterling: I still rate him. Need to keep faith in him. Face on, he can go past people very well.

Subs:
Dier: Dependable when he came on.
Rashford: Really impressed with him. Could become truly world class.
Loftus-Cheek: Ditto. Very impressed.

However, if 'corner into big defender to head goalward for Kane to snap up,' is our main plan of scoring, teams are going to wise up to that, very quickly.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

Just like any drama or film, this tournament always has twists and sub plots. The eventual winner is normally a team that quitely and carefully go's about its business and pilots a way through its group and then builds momentum once it reaches the kill or be killed stage. It is a marathon not a sprint and rarely is the winner a team that bludgeons all before it in the early rounds. A key to identifying the eventual winner is to look at teams with the best defence and goalkeeper
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Samba wrote:England are always very much like West Ham, to me.
Me too. So I fully expect Lukaku to bag a few against us next week.

In fact Belgium are looking a bit tasty against Tunisia right now. I do feel you can get at their defence though.

Putting down a bit of a marker to be in the mix to win it.
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

Puff Daddy wrote:Just like any drama or film, this tournament always has twists and sub plots. The eventual winner is normally a team that quitely and carefully go's about its business and pilots a way through its group and then builds momentum once it reaches the kill or be killed stage. It is a marathon not a sprint and rarely is the winner a team that bludgeons all before it in the early rounds. A key to identifying the eventual winner is to look at teams with the best defence and goalkeeper
An interesting point Puff

Which team so far has the best defence? I cant see any of the top sides who can comfortably defend. Uruguay and Godin at the back look functional from what I’ve seen but even looking at Belgium, a better side will walk through them, they’re so open.

I think the knockout games will see plenty of goals personally. Score more than you concede to win this tournament.
e17

Post by e17 »

Croatia, Belgium, Nigeria and Russia for a weird last 4
Samba

Post by Samba »

e17 wrote:Croatia, Belgium, Nigeria and Russia for a weird last 4
Ffs, hope not, Walth.
Tv'll be off & I'll be sitting in the garden..
AnthraxDave
Has liked: 106 likes
Total likes: 151 likes

Post by AnthraxDave »

I fancy Croatia. Solid defence, easily the best midfield in the tournament. My only worry is that they do not have a top quality striker.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

AnthraxDave wrote:I fancy Croatia. Solid defence, easily the best midfield in the tournament. My only worry is that they do not have a top quality striker.
It might be the time for a new name on the trophy, but I think it is more likely to be somebody who has won it before. One thing is certain it won't be Germany. This team very much reminds me of the Germany team that began its previous demise around the late 90's and early 2000's, but even that crap team somehow managed to reach a World Cup final. Though God knows how
e17

Post by e17 »

Germany

:wink:
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

Puff Daddy wrote:This team very much reminds me of the Germany team that began its previous demise around the late 90's and early 2000's, but even that crap team somehow managed to reach a World Cup final. Though God knows how
Blimey that was a crap German team. Crashed out in the groups in the Euros in 2000 & 2004 if I remember right, but managed to get to the WC final in 2002 by being fortunate enough to be on the right side of the draw.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

sendô wrote:
Blimey that was a crap German team. Crashed out in the groups in the Euros in 2000 & 2004 if I remember right, but managed to get to the WC final in 2002 by being fortunate enough to be on the right side of the draw.
It really was, they were truly abysmal, but they did have Oliver Kahn in goal, Michael Ballack and Bastian pigfarmer in his youth who masked over the obvious cracks in their team, but no ****ing striker worthy of the name, just like now, which is why they won't win it. No idea what has happened to Thomas Muller
pharaoh
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by pharaoh »

Still early days so can't rule out any of the "top teams" including Germany, France or Brazil. Argentina..can't see them getting through. England? I'm taking one game at a time like West Ham in the cups. i still think it will be one of the first 3 mentioned above.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

I'd LOVE to see Mexico win it but they won't - Spain for the football , not seen Brazil yet though - anyone but Germany .
Samba

Post by Samba »

e17 wrote:Croatia, Belgium, Nigeria and Russia for a weird last 4
Samba wrote: Ffs, hope not, Walth. Tv'll be off & I'll be sitting in the garden..
Thinking about it, I'll probably also swerve Germany, Argentina, France & Portugal.
Just one of Fifa's dream line-up, for the semi's. Boring kuntz.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

Whichever teams player it is who nervously steps up to take the all important and deciding penalty in the shoot out and blazes it over the top or wide handing the trophy to the other team after the dullest and most boring final ever