England World Cup squad

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 119 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Re: England World Cup squad

Post by Clucking Bell »

Clucking Bell wrote:he's also picked defenders that play for teams where they don't really have to do any defending and can play on the half-way line.
Carlton'sGoal wrote:But that's most defenders that play for top clubs, because they are top(ish in this case) defenders.
Which is kind of my point really. You can get by with full backs who are really wingers when you've got Fernandinho, Silva and De Bruyne in the middle of the park. On the other hand the likes of, Smalling and Jones look about as good as Rice and Ogbonna and the latter two are handicapped by playing behind our midfield.

A midfield three of Henderson, Dier and Alli isn't going to be giving the Belgians a nightmare and there's every chance that Walker, Jones et. al. might have to do some defending or rely on our keeper playing out of his skin.
Collison Theory
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Collison Theory »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:
If we are playing a back 5, then there is potential to play Dele deeper, alongside Dier. He can then provide the link to the front 3

it would certainly be a statement of intent
I'd rather play with Alli further forwards, but I think with this squad we might have to go that way.
bobcar

Post by bobcar »

Like many on here I'm worried about the central midfield especially defensively. I'd have included Livermore in the full squad rather than on reserve - not because he's great but you need balance in the squad and the best squad isn't always the best players.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

From what Southgate had to pick from, I like the squad. Personally I would not have taken Wellbeck, I would have taken a chance on Lallana, he for me can do that something a lot of English players cannot.

Looks a well balanced squad, I will be behind them 100% and cannot wait to be disappointed as usual :D
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

I'm surprised with how few caps Kane has, he's been the best English striker for four seasons and he has 24 capd. Vardy has 21, Welbeck has 37.
Collison Theory

Jumby wrote:I'm surprised with how few caps Kane has, he's been the best English striker for four seasons and he has 24 capd. Vardy has 21, Welbeck has 37.
And Welbeck has had some great games for England. I'm not his biggest fan, in fact sometimes he looks like he's way out his depth at Arsenal, but he's earned his squad place with his performances.
Rays Rock
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by Rays Rock »

Jones is a terrible defender isn’t he.
I’ve never ever seen him look in control, he’s always flapping around looking stressed out and knackered. There must be better than him around ?
He can’t pass either !
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2423 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

There isn't sadly. Our days of having the likes of Rio and John Terry at the back, with Ledley King on ice are long, long gone.

As stated above by clucking as well, a lot of our defenders dont really defend for their club sides because they have such good players in front of them that they dont need to much. Just look what happened to Man City when they play a decent attacking side like Liverpool who had a go at them - they collapsed. How good will Walker and Stones be when our midfield is getting over run and we're being pegged back by Belgium, Germany, Brazil or whoever?
Collison Theory

Kane's got the armband, right choice, only experienced player who is a guaranteed starter really.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Which means he will be taking the corners.....I have never worked that b*stard decision out....

Forget to mention, I would have taken Smalling over Jones as well.

Other than that, pleased with the squad that was picked from the small pool of talent.