England v Nigeria

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Adrianisournumber1

Re: England v Nigeria

Post by Adrianisournumber1 »

Didn't sterling score 20odd goals for city last season

Have to say first half was great 2nd half is just dross
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1903 likes
Total likes: 1613 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Adrianisournumber1 wrote:Didn't sterling score 20odd goals for city last season

No disrespect to Sterling who I think Pep improved, but I reckon that I am good for 10 goals minimum playing for City if I had that cast around me...

I would be offside a lot though owing to my lack of pace..getting back onside after my one and only soiree downfield that is...

:o
pharaoh
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by pharaoh »

Adrianisournumber1 wrote:Didn't sterling score 20odd goals for city last season

Agree with the game, Sterling did miss some bad ones though during the season so god knows how many he would of had.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

Sauce! wrote:Sterling went down like he had been shot. :lol:
Maybe the gun on his leg went off. :o
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4294 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Pickford looks like a toddler in that goal.
Jon
Has liked: 102 likes
Total likes: 142 likes

Post by Jon »

Very difficult to get behind an England team with a plastic Manc, who has a gun tattoo and a desire to cheat.

My 9 year old nephew went today. What does his Dad and Uncle say? It's hard enough explaining Hernandez's diving. He's 9. He aint stupid.
Adrianisournumber1

Post by Adrianisournumber1 »

Well his dad doesn't say a lot his dead he was shot hence the tattoo how we decide to remember our love ones is no ones business but there's. Genuinely shows how lame this country is by people getting upset by that
Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless »

Adrianisournumber1 wrote:Didn't sterling score 20odd goals for city last sea
pharaoh wrote:Agree with the game, Sterling did miss some bad ones though during the season so god knows how many he would of had.
Agree about the game.

Regarding Sterling he is simply a woeful finisher, always has been and, i'm pretty, sure always will be*

Man City not only put it on a plate for him, they set the table and pour him a glass of wine and he still misses a fair few.

* He's gone from 1in5 to 1in4 this season so if he carries that on.......
Last edited by Faithless on Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless »

Jon wrote:Very difficult to get behind an England team with a plastic Manc, who has a gun tattoo and a desire to cheat.

My 9 year old nephew went today. What does his Dad and Uncle say? It's hard enough explaining Hernandez's diving. He's 9. He aint stupid.
Try this "That my lad is called cheating" there, sorted
bobcar

Post by bobcar »

Faithless wrote: Try this "That my lad is called cheating" there, sorted
The really silly thing is if he just ran through instead of "anticipating" the tackle he probably would have got a penalty, instead it's a well deserved yellow.
Faithless

Post by Faithless »

Faithless wrote: Try this "That my lad is called cheating" there, sorted
bobcar wrote:The really silly thing is if he just ran through instead of "anticipating" the tackle he probably would have got a penalty, instead it's a well deserved yellow.
Totally agree. With him i'm almost convinced that he thinks "I can't miss another chance/cock up another pass ... dive dive dive...." I might be being unduly kind though ;)
TootingRob

Post by TootingRob »

e17 wrote:Glenn Hoddle. Glenn ****ing Hoddle.

Dele Ali or Harry Kane could knife an opponent to death on that pitch and it would be “a terrific stabbing motion”

Did Hoddle really say that?
MadMart
Location: "overhead a rainbow appears..... in Black and White"
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by MadMart »

Jon wrote:Very difficult to get behind an England team with a plastic Manc, who has a gun tattoo and a desire to cheat.
Agreed mate, Sterling is a prick of the highest order
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Friendly or not, that was a really poor Nigeria side and we got a win with a huge goalkeeper error.

Can’t wait for Russia.
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

Don’t worry. Goalkeeper errors count in the tournament too. Just ask Rob Green or Joe Hart.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

I don't care who you play for, you don't score 23 goals in a season if you can't finish. He definitely could have done better in front of goal today, no question, but I think Sterling is getting some unfair criticism. He could very easily be England's most important player.

As for the gun tattoo, it was because his dad was murdered right? (Not that I want to open a debate on it, am sure it's been discussed heavily elsewhere).
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4294 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Ideally we want the guy who scores 23 from 46 chances, not 100+.

Sterling probably isn't going to enjoy the luxury of Man City style flat track thumpings and multiple opportunities once we get towards the last 16 (assuming we do).

Vardy should absolutely be starting. I'd pick him ahead of Kane, let alone Sterling.
Faithless

Post by Faithless »

steveyrockstar wrote:I don't care who you play for, you don't score 23 goals in a season if you can't finish. He definitely could have done better in front of goal today, no question, but I think Sterling is getting some unfair criticism. He could very easily be England's most important player.

As for the gun tattoo, it was because his dad was murdered right? (Not that I want to open a debate on it, am sure it's been discussed heavily elsewhere).
I agree he could be. He breaks the line impressively often it's the end product i don't think is good enough often enough. His shot conversion rate for Man City was 27% this season (Premier League) he's not gonna get that many chances in an England shirt to not take 3 outta 4 of them, he hasn't scored for 2 and a half years. (Hopefully he's saving them all for the World Cup ;)) He's improved his finishing this season but he's not a natural finisher. To me he always seems slightly panicked when a chance presents itself in the box.

As for the tattoo, yep that's why. (No idea why it became "news" etc)
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

steveyrockstar wrote:I don't care who you play for, you don't score 23 goals in a season if you can't finish.
Exactly. Who was last player to score 23 goals in a season for West Ham?

Sterling is a midfielder*, he isn't going to be as prolific as Alan Shearer so I don't understand why people expect him to be?

*Messi and Ronaldo being obvious exceptions
Patito

Post by Patito »

I wonder if the krauts are all slating Sané for his measly 14 goals that must have all been put on a plate for him this season...